The importance of testing your carry gear - Page 3

The importance of testing your carry gear

This is a discussion on The importance of testing your carry gear within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tho not CCW related, this is equipment reliability related. When I was in Vietnam there was a FNG that joined our recon team. He had ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1952 - 2006
    Tho not CCW related, this is equipment reliability related.

When I was in Vietnam there was a FNG that joined our recon team. He had decided that he wanted to change the flash suppressor on his CAR-15 from the 6" long version that the weapon came equipped with and change it to the small bird-cage version that came on the standard M-16.
    Prior to going into Indian country he didn't test his new modification. We were unaware of his change in equipment. (In Special Forces, everyone expects you to know what you are doing).
    Well, of course, we got into a fire-fight and he discovered that the longer flash suppressor added to the back pressure of the gas operation. He suddenly had a single-shot CAR-15. The gun would not cycle the next round. He almost managed to get himself and a few others of us killed. When we were extracted he got the a$$ whoopin' of his life by several team members.
    The moral here is, never take a weapon into combat that hasn't been thoroughly tested. It could be the last mistake of your life.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The moral here is, never take a weapon into combat that hasn't been thoroughly tested. It could be the last mistake of your life.
    Amen. I bought a new Wolf guide rod/spring setup for my XD about 2 months ago. The first day I had it, I installed it in the gun to make it sure it fit fine and then put the stock setup back in until I had time to test it at the range. I tested it yesterday with about 300 rounds and foudn that it worked flawlessly. The new setup now resides in my carry piece. I installed the new Wolf setup once I was at my shooting lane and not a second before that. That's the SMART way to approach things. Like has been said, NEVER go into combat with untested gear!

I test my SCBA ecery morning when I go into work. Why? Because things go wrong and **** breaks! I want to test that gear because my life, and the lives of my crew, depend on that gear in a fire. I DON'T want to be knee-deep in the **** and find out my pack decided to ghost on me because I didn't take the time to check it. Same thing goes with my carry piece. Make sure it works!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links