Going on a trip, how to carry?

This is a discussion on Going on a trip, how to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since moving away from Oklahoma to Illinois I no longer have a carry license. My Wife and I are driving to Florida from Illinois in ...

Thread: Going on a trip, how to carry?

Going on a trip, how to carry?

Since moving away from Oklahoma to Illinois I no longer have a carry license. My Wife and I are driving to Florida from Illinois in an SUV and I would like to know how I can take my pistol along without breaking any state laws. I was going to put the pistol in a case under the seat, and the clip in another part of the vehicle, but somewhere that I can get to both in a hurry if needed. What are my options? Thanks so much for your help.

Scott

2. Remove Ads

I believe that you will need to have the gun locked in the rear of the vehicle (as far away from any passenger as possible). The ammo laws are different in the various states.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

You better check the laws of each state you plan to travel thru.

My own state, Colo allows any traveler*, from any state, to have a loaded handgun on their person or anywhere in the passenger compartment of a private vehicle while traveling in Colo (except federal installations).

On the other hand, our neighbor, Utah, also a very forward thinking & pro-gun state, prohibits the above unless you have a CCW that they recognize.

*Anyone, CCW holder or not, who may legally own a handgun.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

That is what I figured, different law's for each state. I was just hoping a case for the pistol and separating the mag from the gun would be enough for each state. Maybe while I'm in FL I should get an out of state CCW license.

Scott

the is a book called "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States"

telephone 859-491-6400. web site Gunlaws for the 50 States

OK to Ill? You are moving behind "enemy lines". I hope it was for a good reason and I wish you well.
    This may help you: Handgunlaw.us

In GA since your not eligible for a license here, it must be stored locked away with ammo separated. GCO is working on the residency requirement in a class action suit at the moment
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

In florida you are permited to have a firearm in your vehicle, without a CCW license as long as it is one step away. Eg. snapped in a holster, in the glovebox, sealed in a case, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    Since moving away from Oklahoma to Illinois I no longer have a carry license. My Wife and I are driving to Florida from Illinois in an SUV and I would like to know how I can take my pistol along without breaking any state laws.
    When are you going? It might behoove you to get a FL CCW if you have time before you go (~90 days). It will cover you in every state between IL and FL (except IL itself). Just don't detour to SC - FL CCWs are only recognized there if you're a FL resident.

Requirements are here: Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Do a web search on Firearm Owners Protection Act or what's sometimes called the McClure-Volkmer Act. It covers a lot of different things but it also addresses your question. Basically it says that if you can legally possess the firearm at your starting point and can legally possess the firearm at you stopping point then you can legally possess that firearm while traveling between those 2 places. Short stops for food, gas, etc are OK but if you stop for a duration of any time then that location is considered your stopping point for the trip which means you have to be able to legally possess that firearm in that location to be covered by the act. It also has to be a fairly direct route. You can't leave IL heading to FL by way of CA. The act specifies that while traveling the firearm is to be unloaded, in a case, and not immediately accessible.
    183 FBINA

Links