How to fly with pistol

How to fly with pistol

This is a discussion on How to fly with pistol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I will be making a trip home to be with her family for a family emergency (death in the fam). I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fly with pistol

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

How to fly with pistol

The wife and I will be making a trip home to be with her family for a family emergency (death in the fam). I will be flying AA and con airlines and would like to carry my gun with me what do I need to do in order to fly in acc with TSA policies. My flight leaves at Midnight.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in.

TSA: Prohibited Items
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    -JFK

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Check with the individual airline also. Some of them have more restrictions or slightly different rules than what TSA states.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think this is the section you want:

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...e/firearms.jsp

I would make copies of these and bring them with you...not all ticket agents deal with firearms on a regular basis...although in ND you should not have any issues.

By the way...sorry for your loss.

Rick

Be sure and print out the exact policy for that airline. You may encounter an individual that has never had a customer declare a firearm. Having the "rules" handy can make things go a lot smoother. If it comes to it you can always ask to speak with a supervisor. I had to once on a hunting trip to Canada. It's really no trouble at all though to fly with one.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Yeah, your ticket agent may be clueless, so take the rules with you. But don't stress out. I suggest saying this: "I have a firearm to declare -- unloaded and locked per TSA guidelines." They'll have you sign a statement saying that its following regulations and should put it in your case with the firearm, but I've also seen them put it loose in the bag.

The biggest trouble I had was in the Birmingham Airport this summer when my ticket agent didn't know what to do so she was calling another lady over to help who was about fifteen feet away. "Eileen," she said in a low voice, "Could you help me?" "Huh?" "I need help with checking a firearm." "What?" "A firearm!" "What?" "FIREARM!!!!" The startled and frightened look on the dozen or so other travelers near me was priceless.

Best wishes for you, your wife, and her family...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    The wife and I will be making a trip home to be with her family for a family emergency (death in the fam). I will be flying AA and con airlines and would like to carry my gun with me what do I need to do in order to fly in acc with TSA policies. My flight leaves at Midnight.
    Others have responded with links to TSA regs on flying with firearms, but what is your destination? Make sure you're legal to even possess (much less carry) your firearm in your destination state. NY, NJ, and MA are three states in particular that I'm aware of with very strict laws on any kind of possession/transportation of firearms.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

be very very careful to follow the rules exactly and to the letter. failure to do so can lead to big time problems you probably don't want.

if i had to travel now, I would probably look into just shipping your carry gun to a friend or family member and picking it up there when you arrive....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Watch your ammo too. It should be carried in your check in, ideally in the original boxes. Your ammo may not be legal where you're going. Some jurisdictions won't allow hollow points.

Make sure you put a cable lock on the firearm. It's not uncommon for them to Xray your luggage, and a visibly disabled firearm will raise less hackles.

BTW, sorry for your loss.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

make sure you go right to the carrier. and get you pistol.it happen to a guy at my club he went to the bathroom and then went to the claim his guns someone stole them, It was a nightmare but he got all his gun back the guy room mate turn him in thought it was a reward but the guy got arrested to.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    if i had to travel now, I would probably look into just shipping your carry gun to a friend or family member and picking it up there when you arrive....
    Actually I think the regulations and costs of shipping it are just as difficult.

Checking it with your bags is still probably the best route.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

VIP Member
    Get a hard case that you can lock. The empty magazines can go with the gun inside the case. I would recommend to use one of those cable locks looped inside the mag well and ejection port to keep the TSA agent from manipulating your gun too much or at all. Ammo must be carried separate and secured. Since you will be carrying defensive ammo, use the original boxes.
    Arrive a tad early to the airport and address the counter person making sure he or she is paying attention. The best wording IMHO is to say "I want to declare a firearm with my luggage" with emphasis in declare rather than firearm. The counter person will pull out a firearms declaration card and ask to show the firearm to TSA. Once they check it is kosher, the card will go inside the case which you will promptly lock and secure inside your luggage.
    I don't think there is any airport or airline left doing it, but if by any chance they want to affix any special label outside your suitcase that might indicate there is a firearm, be firm, be polite and say no way in hell you will allow that. IIRC it is against federal law.
    If the airport does not have a roaming TSA agent available, they may ask you to hang around wherever the TSA X-Ray luggage machine is located in case they call your name so you can open the case and show your firearm to the TSA people.

Yes, take copies of TSA and airline regulations. And don't fret, most people have little trouble traveling with firearms.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I would call the airlines in question if it were me.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I am going to be going to TX and my SC CWP is legal in that state so I am all good.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    It's all good!!

Texas is more suspicious if you're not bringing in a firearm!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links