Defensive Carry banner

How to fly with pistol

4K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Vendetta 
#1 ·
The wife and I will be making a trip home to be with her family for a family emergency (death in the fam). I will be flying AA and con airlines and would like to carry my gun with me what do I need to do in order to fly in acc with TSA policies. My flight leaves at Midnight.

#5 ·
Be sure and print out the exact policy for that airline. You may encounter an individual that has never had a customer declare a firearm. Having the "rules" handy can make things go a lot smoother. If it comes to it you can always ask to speak with a supervisor. I had to once on a hunting trip to Canada. It's really no trouble at all though to fly with one.

#6 ·
Yeah, your ticket agent may be clueless, so take the rules with you. But don't stress out. I suggest saying this: "I have a firearm to declare -- unloaded and locked per TSA guidelines." They'll have you sign a statement saying that its following regulations and should put it in your case with the firearm, but I've also seen them put it loose in the bag.

The biggest trouble I had was in the Birmingham Airport this summer when my ticket agent didn't know what to do so she was calling another lady over to help who was about fifteen feet away. "Eileen," she said in a low voice, "Could you help me?" "Huh?" "I need help with checking a firearm." "What?" "A firearm!" "What?" "FIREARM!!!!" The startled and frightened look on the dozen or so other travelers near me was priceless.

Best wishes for you, your wife, and her family...

#7 ·
Others have responded with links to TSA regs on flying with firearms, but what is your destination? Make sure you're legal to even possess (much less carry) your firearm in your destination state. NY, NJ, and MA are three states in particular that I'm aware of with very strict laws on any kind of possession/transportation of firearms.

#8 ·
be very very careful to follow the rules exactly and to the letter. failure to do so can lead to big time problems you probably don't want.

if i had to travel now, I would probably look into just shipping your carry gun to a friend or family member and picking it up there when you arrive....

#11 ·
if i had to travel now, I would probably look into just shipping your carry gun to a friend or family member and picking it up there when you arrive....
Actually I think the regulations and costs of shipping it are just as difficult.

Checking it with your bags is still probably the best route.

#9 ·
Watch your ammo too. It should be carried in your check in, ideally in the original boxes. Your ammo may not be legal where you're going. Some jurisdictions won't allow hollow points.:aargh4:

Make sure you put a cable lock on the firearm. It's not uncommon for them to Xray your luggage, and a visibly disabled firearm will raise less hackles.:king:

BTW, sorry for your loss.

#10 ·
make sure you go right to the carrier. and get you pistol.it happen to a guy at my club he went to the bathroom and then went to the claim his guns someone stole them, It was a nightmare but he got all his gun back the guy room mate turn him in thought it was a reward but the guy got arrested to.

#12 ·
Get a hard case that you can lock. The empty magazines can go with the gun inside the case. I would recommend to use one of those cable locks looped inside the mag well and ejection port to keep the TSA agent from manipulating your gun too much or at all. Ammo must be carried separate and secured. Since you will be carrying defensive ammo, use the original boxes.
Arrive a tad early to the airport and address the counter person making sure he or she is paying attention. The best wording IMHO is to say "I want to declare a firearm with my luggage" with emphasis in declare rather than firearm. The counter person will pull out a firearms declaration card and ask to show the firearm to TSA. Once they check it is kosher, the card will go inside the case which you will promptly lock and secure inside your luggage.
I don't think there is any airport or airline left doing it, but if by any chance they want to affix any special label outside your suitcase that might indicate there is a firearm, be firm, be polite and say no way in hell you will allow that. IIRC it is against federal law.
If the airport does not have a roaming TSA agent available, they may ask you to hang around wherever the TSA X-Ray luggage machine is located in case they call your name so you can open the case and show your firearm to the TSA people.

Yes, take copies of TSA and airline regulations. And don't fret, most people have little trouble traveling with firearms.

#16 ·
I just flew with a couple Sigs for the first time on Christmas Day. Followed TSA regs and the portocols of the Airline on which I was flying. No worries. Neither the folks at the flight desk nor the TSA people even blinked. As recommended, I carried copies of the information listed on both TSA and Airlines web sites, but it wasn't needed. (I'd do the same thing if/when I check firearms again).

I actually had more personal attention getting my titanium hip through security than checking my Sigs (grin).

PC

#17 ·
I made it here pistol included and did not have any problems at all. Now lets hope for the same on our return trip.

#19 ·
The Process

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
    • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
    • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
  3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
  4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
    • Your Name
    • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    • Your personal email address - if you have one
    • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
  6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
  7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
    • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
    • if the TSA wants to see.
  8. 8.Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    • airline
    • FAA Regional Office
    • ATF Regional Office
Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
    • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
    • Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
    • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are
  2. 2.Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourRights/us letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

#20 · (Edited)
I would make sure that you have a copy of the law - not the TSA interpretation of them. Highlight the important part of the law just in case you need to show them to an airline or TSA supervisor.

I've flown numerous times with weapons, and have only need to show the law once - in Raleigh on a return flight home.

Generally I don't have any problems.

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 8]
[Revised as of October 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR1540.111]

[Page 295]

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER XII--TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
HOMELAND SECURITY

PART 1540--CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and
Persons

Sec. 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property--prohibitions.
Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may
not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the
individual's person or accessible property--
(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's
person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before
boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under Sec.
1544.201 or Sec. 1546.201 of this chapter;
(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an
aircraft for which screening is conducted under Sec. 1544.201 or Sec.
1546.201 of this chapter.
(b) On an individual's person or accessible property--permitted
carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to
carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the
following:
(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other
weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with
Sec.Sec. 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, or 1546.211 of this chapter.
(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area
under a security program.
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for
transport in checked baggage:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally
or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a
firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the
passenger retains the key or combination.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of
ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm.
Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing
carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June

#22 ·
I am going to be flying from NC(Raleigh) to TX(Austin) in a little more than a week to visit my kids(and ex-wife)... I plan on taking my firearm with me down there........no no no, not to take care of the ex....roflol.....we are on very good terms.

This thread has been very informative for me and I will definately be following the advice of you guys.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Josh

#23 ·
I see others have provided their checklists, but FWIW I'll throw mine in:

I do this regularly. It has gotten a bit more difficult with the addition of checked baggage screening by the TSA, but here are my tips (worth every cent you paid for them):
1) Carry documentation: Get a paper copy of the relevant airline's "firearms in checked baggage" policy, as well as the TSA policies, and carry it on your person when checking in. If there is a partner airline involved and you will be boarding the initial leg (either direction) on that airline, carry their rules as well. You can see the TSA policies at: TSA | Transportation Security Administration I used to carry the FAA policies, but haven't found them on the web lately. You can usually print the airline's policy from their website. If the policy appears too brief in the website, it is worth inquiring at a ticket counter and asking them to print their full policy out of the ticketing system. This is too late when you are already checking in, particularly if you are getting hassled by the ticket agent. Plan ahead and get this copy during another trip through the airport.

2) Avoid Northwest Airlines, especially in Detroit. Recent personal experience indicates that they are incompetent, dangerous, and don't know their own rules.

3) Ammo: Per the FAA/TSA regulations (they were more complete on the old FAA website which I can no longer find), you may carry a small amount of ammunition "for personal use". The old FAA site specified this as 11 Lbs, but the new TSA site does not specify. The FAA site required that the ammo be in either "factory packaging" or magazines. The new TSA site requires that ammo be in "fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition." Most airlines have based their written rules on the old FAA rules (including acceptance of ammo in magazines, as long as the mag is not in the pistol). The TSA employees seem to interpret the new rules as allowing only factory-type ammo boxes. I have NEVER seen a rule requiring that the ammo be in a separate case from the firearm, but many ticket agents (and some TSA employees) believe that it is a rule. Some airlines specifically note in their rules that it IS allowed.

4) Cases: The rules require that the firearm be in a locked hard-sided container, which could either be hard-sided luggage or a hard gun case within soft-sided luggage. I can't remember if it was in the old FAA rules or in a specific airline's, but there used to be a rule that the soft-sided luggage containing the hard case must also be locked.

5) At the counter: Most obvious thing is to make sure it is unloaded BEFORE you get to the airport. When you get to the ticket counter (must be an inside counter rather than remote or curbside check-in), first thing is to discretely ask for a declaration card for firearms in checked baggage. They may screw up and hand you a form for carrying firearms on your person. Make sure that it is a small card indicating that it is for checked baggage. Some airlines (e.g., Northwest) require the ticket agent to initial the card. Some agents have interpreted this to mean that they must physically check themselves that the firearm is unloaded (handling the firearm). I have NEVER seen airline rules which allow this, and most (including Northwest) specifically prohibit their employees from handling the firearms. If someone insists on handling the firearms, I take out the printed rules and ask them to read them and call in their supervisor if there is still any question. If they get insistent, I usually flip over my license and show them my NRA instructor certification card, and ask them what certification they have for firearms training. Always remain polite and composed, and start writing down details and names if you are getting hassled (it seems to remind them that they may be held accountable). Some agents will insist that the ammo must be in a separate suitcase (false, and I ask them to please show me a written rule), and some will also insist that there can be no more than one firearm per case (also false, and usually specified to the contrary in the airline's policy). According to the old FAA rules, the declaration card was specifically required to be placed within the "locked hard-sided case" with the firearm. It also specified that there be no external indication on the case or suitcase that it contained a firearm. While the TSA rules are much more brief, the airline rules are usually based on the FAA rules. I always refuse to allow them to put the tag on the outside (obvious "STEAL ME" sign), and sometimes have to argue with them about putting it within the hard gun case.

6) After check-in: Depending on the airport, you will likely be required to accompany the suitcase to the TSA screening (be sure to budget an extra 15 minutes for this step when arriving at the airport). They will usually have you remain just outside of their screening area, and have you hand them the keys to your suitcase and gun case when they get to it. If the airport is set up where you carry your checked bags from the ticket counter to the TSA station, be sure to inform the TSA that your case contains declared firearms. Some TSA people claim that the shift supervisor must be present when they pass a firearm through, so there may be extra delay while they get him out of the donut shop. This delay is usually spent with all the TSA people crowding around the X-ray screen, trying to guess where the firearm is in the case.

7) Carry printouts of the relevant CCW laws at all destinations. Many LEOs are ignorant of the actual laws of their own state, so it is good to have your own reference.

8) Carry a copy of the sales receipt for your firearm with you, particularly if traveling into borderline communist territory.

#24 ·
I carry all the time and It's pretty easy. Most check in clerks are familar with the regs as more people check bags with firearms than you would think, LEO, hunters, competative shooters and ccws.

I agree that you should check with that airline, but most are the same.

Here's what I do, before leaving to the airport I unload an place my rounds into a plastic box designed to hold round individually (used by reloaders) I actually use a cable lock and lock my cylinder or slide open (no need to pick up the nice gun it's unloaded) place weapon and rounds into a hard case.

I also place a lock and key into the case.

Place the hard case into my soft case suitcase an go to the counter where I ask the clerk for a firearms declaration form (it's usually bright orange)

I fill out and sign the form and place it in the hard case with the weapon. Close the hard case and lock it using the lock I placed into the case (Non TSA lock)
Place hard case back into suitcase close and lock using a TSA approved lock.

Some airlines place the suitcase right onto the belt and some have me take it to the Xray machine and stand by as they screen it.

usually takes less than 5 minutes more than checking in without one.

#26 ·
Most are the same...they just wanna move the most people in the shortest amount of time with the least amount of effort on thier part.

But I have never had a problem with US Airways, or Delta, or Southwest (I don't like S/W for a bunch of other reasons), or Spirit.

#27 ·
Right on, I'm personally leaning towards flying Delta for this trip. I've downloaded/printed all of the different airlines policies from their websites(or at least all of them that I could find), and it seems as though Continental has the most cut/dry policy....however, if at all possible I will choose NOT to fly continental for other reasons....

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.