Carrying in Florida

Carrying in Florida

This is a discussion on Carrying in Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that in Florida residents and non-residents alike must conceal carry with a valid permit. Florida also honors my state's permit, and I plan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in Florida

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Carrying in Florida

I understand that in Florida residents and non-residents alike must conceal carry with a valid permit. Florida also honors my state's permit, and I plan on going down there in April as part of a road trip. I will be carrying, but am worried that I might get caught printing, which is brandishing in FL right, it must be 100% concealed at all times?

I was planning on bringing my G26 as it is the smallest gun I own, and will be purchasing either a Galco Summer Comfort, or Comp Tac Infidel for it. Now I am thinking about buying a S&W 642 or 638, and just pocket carry it using a pocket holster, or one of them wallet holsters. I suppose I should buy a holster or two and see if I am able to successfully conceal it without printing.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Isn't the G26 about the same size as a G27? Anyway, I have the best luck concealing with a IWB holster at 1 o'clock.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I understand that in Florida residents and non-residents alike must conceal carry with a valid permit. Florida also honors my state's permit, and I plan on going down there in April as part of a road trip. I will be carrying, but am worried that I might get caught printing, which is brandishing in FL right, it must be 100% concealed at all times?

I was planning on bringing my G26 as it is the smallest gun I own, and will be purchasing either a Galco Summer Comfort, or Comp Tac Infidel for it. Now I am thinking about buying a S&W 642 or 638, and just pocket carry it using a pocket holster, or one of them wallet holsters. I suppose I should buy a holster or two and see if I am able to successfully conceal it without printing.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    No. Printing is not brandishing.

You need to go to handgunlaw.us and read up before you come.
    Also, go to FL site and check out our laws, especially the ones that define where you CANNOT carry.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2006->Chapter 790 : flsenate.gov

Bottom line: if you have a good holster and a gunbelt, you should have no problems with just a little bit of care on how you dress.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

ive printed in jacksonville, and overheard cops talking about it.OWB M&P40 in a serpa. nothing was said to me.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

As stated above printing isn't a crime but may get you invited to leave a place or questioned. With a good rig you can easily conceal without printing. I can carry either a 1911 or a J Frame in an IWB here year round, no printing even in a loose tee shirt and shorts.

Also for your road trip make durn sure you have actually read the laws of the states you're going to carry in. NEVER take someones opinion or internet rumor. Very bad idea.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Everything you ever wanted to know about carrying in Florida: Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

One important nore - if you are asked to leave because you are made, do so immediately and without arguing. Florida has an "Armed Trespass" statute, and it is a felony.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I carry a 1911 year round down here, and we do not have big fancy coats like up north to help us hide them. Get a quality holster and you're all set.

To the poster above, how the heck do you sit down with a gun IWB at 1:00 ?!?! I can't find it comfortable until it's 3:00 or later.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    On Spring Break, I carried my full size 1911 with zero issue.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

As stated......printing is not brandishing.

No worries. FL is very cc friendly.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I will print out copies of states laws that I plan on going through, and go over them, and take them with me on the trip.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

A couple of nice one size to big Florida type shirts

Cut a Glock combat holster to fit your belt, and you are off to the races!

99% of the Gun prints here are communicating devices of various sizes!

I know all kinds of cops, never heard of printing" offenses!

Just make sure reload mag; is a G17 one!

I carry everwhere that it is legal to carry. I have a Crossbreeds SuperTuck holding my XD 9mm SC. I almost always wear a T-shirt outside my pants, jeans, and have never had any problems. Just be careful and don't worry about too much.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

At least here in Jacksonville, you are essentially expected to carry and nobody cares if you print a bit (in particular cops). Get a decent holster and you are fine. "Mexican carry" (no holster in waistband) is not only dangerous, but kind of labels you as a thug who probably doesn't have a permit and you may get issues if you do that.

You are not required to announce to a cop that you carry and I never do nor was I ever asked.

Just be familiar with areas you can't carry in (most common issue: bars) and welcome to the gunshine state!
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    I carry a 1911 year round down here, and we do not have big fancy coats like up north to help us hide them. Get a quality holster and you're all set.

To the poster above, how the heck do you sit down with a gun IWB at 1:00 ?!?! I can't find it comfortable until it's 3:00 or later.
    IWB at 1:00 is how I carry also, and I find it ultra-comfortable. Guess it all depends on how you are built and what type of gun you are using. I carry a G26 that way; I DO think the long barrel full size semi-autos would harder to handle that way.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Printing != Brandishing in FL.

Just keep it in yer pants, so to speak, and you'll be fine.

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links