New Job, New Weapons Policy?

This is a discussion on New Job, New Weapons Policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started a new job a couple of weks ago and I was thrilled to find that none of the Corporate docs I was made ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job, New Weapons Policy?

New Job, New Weapons Policy?

I started a new job a couple of weks ago and I was thrilled to find that none of the Corporate docs I was made to sign mentioned anything about a weapons policy.

Much to my dismay, I was browsing on the Company Intranet and discovered that they indeed DO have a Weapon's Policy as well as a page dedicated to an Active Shooter Scenario.

I did not go to the pages, but just saw that the pages existed.

The safe thing for me to do is to stop CCing at work as I do need the money.

But I'd like to welcome your opinions.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It is almost impossible to find a good company that will allow you to carry on the job. Most corporations don't allow their employees to carry weapons of any kind except maybe small pocket knives. Unless you are in law enforcement or private security, more than likely, packing heat will be frowned upon. Some smaller companies might not care though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

When you take the paycheck you're stuck with the rules. You can choose to violate the rules and then one day lose the job and earn a bad reference to boot. It's just the reality of life these days. Now if you worked for me and I felt you were safe and competent I'd allow you to carry but then I've only got a few employees.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The first thing I would do be fore coming to any conclusions is read the policy and find out exactly what it says. You never know, it can't hurt. Then when informed formulate a plan of action.
    With this economy I would want to secure a source of income.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I agree, read it first. Maybe it encourages CC and the protection from BG's, yes I know it is rare, but I would at least read it first. Besides their scenario may be good for a laugh.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Right. Asking our opinions about a policy about which you don't have any direct knowledge is silly. I have seen company policies that state illegal carrying of weapons is prohibited or unlicensed carry of weapons is prohibited. Yours could be one of those. You may be fine.

Read the policy, then ask for advice.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    With today's economy, employment is necessary to say the least. It strikes me a little strange that if your employer has a weapons policy and is going to enforce it, you should have signed an aknowledgement form so you understood the rules right up front. I dont think it's fair that he would terminate your employment over a rule you were not informed of. Legally, as long as you're abiding by the laws of your state for concealed carry, you should be fine.

Now obviously, this isnt MY job and you have to do whatever you think is right. Since you have access to the company intranet, read the policy you found. It may or may not involve you directly. In any case, its probably an interesting read. After reading this "so called" policy, then you can make an educated decision based on your interpretation. If after then you are convinced that carrying a weapon at work is strictly prohibited, your question's will have been answered.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Here is another possibility that has worked for me...company policy is not a law. It is a policy. If the company policy says no to carrying and you will abide by it (the prudent choice), then have you thought about asking your supervisor for an exemption? Run the request up the flagpole and see what happens. If they say no, then you still can't carry; then again you couldn't to begin with! If they say yes, then you're good to go and if anyone ever gives you a hard time you have approval from above and your derriere is warm and toasty.

I am employed full-time and part-time and got permission from both employers; never a worry when the head honchos know! At least it couldn't hurt to ask if the policy is no carry, right? :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Thoughts (and I've gone through this process myself):
    • Read the policy and find out what the company wants.
    • The policy probably does not dictate what you must do or not do, but rather gives you an idea of what the consequences are likely to be if you don't comply.
    • Consequence-based policies can be interpreted that taking the check doesn't necessarily mean you'll follow all the rules, but that you understand that termination would be perfectly justified if you don't.
    • Policies also usually include a clause that says, "The Company can change the rules when it wants to."
    • If policy prohibits your concealed carry, you need to make a decision: is the risk to my family from job loss and bad reference likely to be a greater or less risk than having a bad guy burst into the office and kill/injure me.
    • Be aware that in an office environment over a long period of time, it will be very hard to keep your carrying secret from EVERYBODY - even if you don't print particularly or expose your weapon inadvertently you're likely to make a friend. Friends of our sort are likely to talk about self-defense eventually, and either you'll tell them you carry in an unguarded moment or make it so obvious that he or she will be looking for lumps in your clothing and will figure it out.
    • Once someone finds out or has a good suspicion, you can expect the news to make the rounds.
    • If someone in a higher position doesn't like the news, you may find yourself terminated for some OTHER reason: they are unlikely to raise the issue of carrying, but they may not want you around. If your state allows termination for any or no reason, you have no recourse.
    • If someone in a higher position doesn't like the news and you are able to keep your job, you may find yourself passed over for promotion because you appear to them as a wild-eyed crazy.

I've decided to not carry at work because the risk to my family is greater if I fall into bad odor with my company than if I am unarmed. May God grant you wisdom - I'm aware that this isn't cut-and-dried and you may be led to a different conclusion than I was.

PS: If you're old like me, you might be able to carry a cane and get training: discussion DVD.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Follow the rules of your employer or find another job. I suspect you will never need a gun on the job, but you do need the job. Not a hard choice in my view.

Regards,
    Jerry

I had a chance to read the Corporate policy today and I'm not too surprised at what I found.

It says in essence, guns = violence = bad.

I don't have access to a printer so I can;t print it out, and my e-mail is monitored so I can't even e-mail a copy of the page to myself. But, the policy directly addresses a concern from employees in Ohio right after CCWs were liberalized in the State. The policy says that even WITH a proper license, having any weapons on any Company property or event violates the Violence in the Workplace policy.

Interestingly enough, near the Weapons in the Workplace hyperlink on the Company Intranet, there is a link to a policy on how to deal with an Active Shooter scenario.

Here's a quote by memory:

If a shooter is shooting at you

A moving target is harder to hit...
    In short, if there's an active shooter in the building, hide in an office, beg for mercy, or stick your head between your legs and kiss yourself goodbye, or do all of the above.

Yes, I do need this job, so I guess I get to join the sheep for a while. Baaaa... :(

I have the same problem and we even have a rifle range on company property. We can carry unloaded one way in and one way out on a seperate road. They allow a storage in a seperate area from workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    I started a new job a couple of weks ago and I was thrilled to find that none of the Corporate docs I was made to sign mentioned anything about a weapons policy.

Much to my dismay, I was browsing on the Company Intranet and discovered that they indeed DO have a Weapon's Policy as well as a page dedicated to an Active Shooter Scenario.

I did not go to the pages, but just saw that the pages existed.

The safe thing for me to do is to stop CCing at work as I do need the money.

But I'd like to welcome your opinions.
    I, too, live and work in AZ.

My employer has a policy that prohibits weapons.

My gun goes into my locked toolbox while I am at work, I WILL NOT allow my employer to put me at risk during my over 60 mile one way commute, and during the day, I am always close to my toolbox. I can find another employer should I need to.

YMMV

Lon

The problem with keeping the gun in my car is that the (corporate) parking lot is also off limits for weapons. As I work right next to Sky Harbor, there are no street parking so I'm otta luck there too.

I rented a close storage. ~$40/mo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links