DL Endorsement for CC

DL Endorsement for CC

This is a discussion on DL Endorsement for CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think instead of a separate CC Permit and all the expense some states require in obtaining one we should instead just be able to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL Endorsement for CC

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

DL Endorsement for CC

I think instead of a separate CC Permit and all the expense some states require in obtaining one we should instead just be able to get a CC endorsement on our drivers license if not a felon or some other legal reason to NOT be able to carry.
    I have an endorsement for a Motorcycle and Vessel on mine now with plenty of room for a line to be added for Concealed Carry.

Just doesn't seem fair what I've heard of some states high cost of getting a CC for some of the people on the lower end of the pay scale.

If for some reason you don't drive or can't get a driverís license - they usually have some kind of state issue photo id equivalent that could serve same purpose.
    For God, Family and Country!

I agree and as i said recently in another post there talking about doing that here Renew you lic at the DMV be it plate DL or CCW i like that ideal

Lot better than going to downtown detroit course i dont have to worry about it till 4 -2009

Agreed! Too logical! In Texas, it's even the same agency that issues the drivers' license and CHL (the Department of Public Safety).

Of course, bureaucracy creates its own momentum, so I'm not holding my breath!

Not sure how it is everywhere and I am sure it is different everywhere, but in Missouri it is $105.00 that the sheriff get's for the permit and $11.00 for a separate state I.D. showing your CCW endorsement or you can get it on your existing D.L. for $7.00 I think it is that the DMV get's for either one.

I just did the separate I.D. for just the extra concealment from others needing my D.L. to verify I.D. and keep the other one to show my CHL endorsement to LEO's when needed or whatever.

I feel there is no need to advertise my CHL to anyone that doesn't need to know it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    There is certainly some convenience to having it included on DL - plus, it could well be entered there in a very subtle way so as not to advertise the fact too much.

OTOH what we have here is really no problem - having switched now to what is all but a DL size plastic card, with pic. My only prob with that is, it is just another piece of plastic that makes my wallet way too fat - now if that fat was a bundle of C notes all the time, I could manage!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The DL idea is a nice one, however it would require standardization among all the states. This would mean a national id card. Some states will print your endorsement on your DL but as mentioned by Ti Carry I wouldn't have it on mine because I wouldn't want the clerk who just had to age check me for beer to know I had the endorsement should a BG pop through the door to rob the place. Said clerk may blurt out to me to do something or you have a gun do something.

I don't see he states ageeing on a standardized way of doing it, because some don't issue to begin with. I had enough trouble getting my motorcycle endorsement transferred onto my Missouri license because of how Virginia puts on the endorsement versus how Missouri does it. Can you imagine being on the side of the road trying to explain that a C endorsement means you have a carry permit when that state uses a W in the restrictions area? I also don't want it on my DL for anyone else to see because they don't need to know unless I choose to show them or they are LEO.

-Scott-

Washington should attach it to the DL. The last time I was stopped the officer asked me whether I had my gun with me or not , so I assumed they had a record of it on the computer. They might just as well make it one and the same card.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Makes perfect sense. My DL number is on my CWL. I figure, make it like an endorsement. If you have a CDL, they issue you a different colored license. If you have motorcycle, they give you an endorsement. They could easily give you a different colored license and achieve the purpose.

I don't know about other states, but my CWL is almost identical to my DL.

Go figure, they come out of the same machine.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Great idea...but too logical for the government to implement

I think they do it this way because it's more than possible to be legally qualified to drive but not own/carry a gun and they want the two systems to be completely separate.

And while TXDPS may oversee the CHPs, remember it's two clerks in Austin that process every single one of the applications. Odds are pretty good your local DPS doesn't even have the CHL forms or the ability to take fingerprints. Mine doesn't. The main one in Austin does I understand, but not my local branch.

Just a thought.

I think it's best to have a seperate DL and CCW just for the fact that some states do not require you to inform LEO, and no need to inform everyone who asks for ID (bar, hotel, rental car, etc) Anyone who looks at your DL for whatever reason will know you carry.

Here in the state of Misery (Missouri) we have the option of putting the CCW endorsement on our driver's license or a separate non-DL state ID, I got the separate ID for several reasons....

1} DL good for 6 years and the CCW is good for 3, if the endorsement is on the DL you have to pay full price for renewing your DL plus eye exam etc, ID is cheaper.

2} The CCW endorsement is in red block letters right above your picture, I don't want every store clerk I have to show the DL to when writing a check knowing I am carrying, and they would have to be blind to miss it if they look at the picture.

3} I live close to the Peoples Republic of IL and it is impossible to get some places I want to go without passing through that hell hole. If stopped for some reason I would just as soon not invite a roadside proctology exam by the PRI Gestapo by having my CCW on the DL.
    Last edited by F350; January 24th, 2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: small typo correction

For the reasons Otis stated, I'd want to keep the DL and CCW as two distinctly different items, with no cross-referencing between them.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

CCW on DL

That's how we do it here in MO. Once approved for a permit by the Sheriff of your county of residence, a Missouri citizen takes the endorsement to the Dept of Revenue where it is placed on the driver's license or, a seperate state ID card. Either way, it's stilll tied to your Driver's License records.

Ask most MO permit holders and they'll tell you they don't like the idea because if a LEO runs your DL, your CCW status shows up. Here in MO, we don't have to tell LEOs we are carrying unless asked.

Ti Carry, if you paid $105.00 to the Sheriff for your endorsement, he or she owes you $5.00. The absolute maximum (by law) the a MO Sheriff can charge is $100.00

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Not sure how it is everywhere and I am sure it is different everywhere, but in Missouri it is $105.00 that the sheriff get's for the permit and $11.00 for a separate state I.D. showing your CCW endorsement or you can get it on your existing D.L. for $7.00 I think it is that the DMV get's for either one.

I just did the separate I.D. for just the extra concealment from others needing my D.L. to verify I.D. and keep the other one to show my CHL endorsement to LEO's when needed or whatever.

I feel there is no need to advertise my CHL to anyone that doesn't need to know it.

Ti.
    I have to say that I work in a sporting goods store and I sell a crapload of hunting and fishing licenses. Everytime a person with a CCW pulls out there DL for me to run, I always can see the blue CCW usually right under the DL. So sometimes you advertise w/o even knowing it.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links