younger looking CCW's come in...got a question

This is a discussion on younger looking CCW's come in...got a question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok, im 32 but in a younger looking guy for my age, i dress younger than i am (skater type)...although i am in the military ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: younger looking CCW's come in...got a question

ok, im 32 but in a younger looking guy for my age, i dress younger than i am (skater type)...although i am in the military and have been for the past 13 years i do deal with people being surprised of my age from time to time...

for alot of you when you open carry or carry concealed you look like older, more mature dressed individuals and if someone was to spot your weapon they would probably think you were a cop or someone in the law enforcment industry.....me and alot of others on the other hand might not get that same response. im a clean cut guy but i have tattoos, wear black t-shirts alot, skater shoes, jeans, dickies pants etc...if someone was to see my 100 percent legal sidearm its more likely that they would freak out and think im a thug or about to rob them. i live in the bible belt of NC.

anyone deal with situations like this and how do you handle it?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm 23. Also military with a few tatoos, and I usually wear loose cut/baggy jeans and a t shirt. In the winter its jeans and a hoodie. I've open carried and CCed, and I've never had anyone respond negatively. Actually I've never had anyone respond period.

As for dealing with someone reacting, i plan to be respectful and informative. Maybe it will open their eyes a little, maybe it wont. I'm involved in all kinds of things that have a few people giving the majority a bad rap (hunting, firearms, motorcyles, other stuff), and with those things, being respectful and informative seems to help.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

well thats good to know. the elderly community around here is paranoid. i just want to avoid some old lady or some yahoo calling the cops on an assumption...

if there is any question and person approaches me, should i just show them my CCW card?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I'm 22 CC and OC all the time. Haven't had any negative responces ot OC. Maby a few strange looks but thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    ... i plan to be respectful and informative......
    Excellent! The image one of us portray is the image we all portray. Unfortunately we have to work hard to overcome the bad apples in our group.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    More likely than not, if they are going to do something, they will call the cops and let the cops handle it. They probably aren't going to want to approach you about it, because if they are scared of someone carrying a gun, they aren't going to want to "aggravate" you and provoke you into attacking them. Of course, that wouldn't happen, but they might be paranoid and see it that way. If the cops show up, it's pretty self explanatory how to handle it.

If they do come up and say something along the lines of "OMG why do you have a gun" or "I can't believe you have a gun" etc., I'd just explain that you believe in being able to protect yourself and your loved ones, that you carry it legally, and train with it regularly. I'd probably avoid throwing statistics at them, since it could start an argument, and if they start throwing anti gun statistics at you, tell them to have a nice day and walk away.

If for some reason they start to take interest in it, and don't really appear to be anti, but just on the fence or something, maybe invite them to go shooting and try it out. I've taken a few people shooting who were on the fence and they loved it and begun to understand at least that part of our passion. They weren't complete strangers though, I knew who they were just wasn't really a friend or acquaintance of them at the time. If it were a complete stranger I'd probably leave that alone.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Lead Moderator
    I would not worry about it , unless it happens . You are legal , so worst case you need to show an officer a permit. (or don't dress like a thug and OC)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I would not worry about it , unless it happens . You are legal , so worst case you need to show an officer a permit. (or don't dress like a thug and OC)
    i dont dress like a thug at all. just younger than most that i know of that carry.

VIP Member
    While open carry is legal in NC, individual communities can regulate it. Make sure if you are OC'ing it is allowed where your at.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While open carry is legal in NC, individual communities can regulate it. Make sure if you are OC'ing it is allowed where your at.
    i really wont open carry if i dont have to. im more concerned if a person happens to see my concealed weapon if im bending over to pick up something etc.

VIP Member
    Even your weapon being seen in public, if the locality you are in has ordinances against a weapon being displayed, can get you in trouble.
    Also remember, being in the military, anything happening off base can have repercussions on your career. I saw that happen more than once in the 24 years I spent in the AF.

Even your weapon being seen in public, if the locality you are in has ordinances against a weapon being displayed, can get you in trouble.
    Also remember, being in the military, anything happening off base can have repercussions on your career. I saw that happen more than once in the 24 years I spent in the AF.
    i will do my best to keep the weapon concealed. im looking into an in the pants holster right now.

trust me, i know. i have a top secret SCI clearance...i have never been in trouble in the 13 years i have been in and certainly dont want to start now.

VIP Member
    I understand, held a TS for part of my career as well, Sec the rest of the time. Doesn't take much to screw them up and once gone almost, unless due to job change, impossible to get back. BTW thanks for your service.

Yeah, I'd recommend a quality IWB (inside-the-waistband) holster. Something like a Crossbreed Supertuck or (what I love and use) a Comp-Tac MTAC.

The difference in comfort and concealment between a quality holster and a cheapo one is incredible. With the MTAC I can carry my full-size Beretta no problem. Prior to that concealment was difficult and I was extremely uncomfortable after carrying more than half an hour.

I believe both the Supertuck and MTAC are around $80 -- easily worth the expense.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I understand, held a TS for part of my career as well, Sec the rest of the time. Doesn't take much to screw them up and once gone almost, unless due to job change, impossible to get back. BTW thanks for your service.
    thank you for your service as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links