Kansas gun buster signs

This is a discussion on Kansas gun buster signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I moved to Texas from Ks about 2 years ago and got my CHL,shortly afterwards Ks started issuing permits to their residents after decades of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas gun buster signs

Kansas gun buster signs

I moved to Texas from Ks about 2 years ago and got my CHL,shortly afterwards Ks started issuing permits to their residents after decades of not being allowed to carry.In Tx I rarely see a no guns allowed sign in the correct language etc. to be legal,but after spending 2 weeks in Ne and Ks I was amazed.I cannot carry in Omaha due to non-reciprocity with Tx,but I can carry in Ks.The problem I see is when Kansas announced they would issue licenses a lot of store owners for some reason felt threatened that legally armed people could walk in their stores and slapped up gun buster signs,I have never seen so many red circles with slashes in my life.I did notice one store had one with a disclaimer unless legal to do so by law,and I carried it in but there were a couple places like Grandma Max's restaurant at the bosselman truck plaza that I was with friends and had to disarm.I think that any pro carry organisations in Ks need to do some public Information about how safe and responsible licensed people are and that they need to be more worried about criminals carrying in their store that don't care about laws.The no gun signs are even some what of a stupid idea since they broadcast that there are no guns on these premises so you can rob us without fear,I wish I would have printed up a buncha no guns no cash cards but I never thought I might need them,but next trip I will be doing some PR and talking to some owners in a positive way to maybe change a few ideas.I once heard if ya grab em by the testicles their hearts and minds will follow.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Some of them are coming down. We even had a couple of Kansas police chiefs go around and tell business's that they HAD to post. My brother not only got the sign removed from the Harley dealership, the owner is now a CHL holder.

We just hit our 2 year anniversary, and it keeps getting better. There have been two new bills passed to improve the law for CHL holders, and we have over 15000 permit holders leading boring lives. No wild west shootouts, no road rage draw downs.

We need a clarification on the gunbuster sign, no one at the AGs office will say that it is the only enforcable sign.

Let me know the next time you travel, I'll hook you up with great places to eat where you're welcome.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Same thing happend here in Ohio. When the law went into effect the signs were all over, but in time, I see fewer and fewer signs.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Same thing here in MN....there were originally tons of signs everywhere, but almost all of them went away after awhile. I think the people who posted them figured out that, by posting their establishments, they were only banning law abiding permit holders' wallets.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

VIP Member
    Kansas went shall issue, when? In 2007 IIRC. It takes time to write the letters and show how much money the circle slash signs are costing them. Once they realize it then the signs will come down. It has happened in every state as it went to shall issue. Some businesses will never get it though.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

One of the only good things about Mass. you never see any signs.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

1st post here, but had to chime in and agree with JAT40, that living in Mass we may not be lucky enough for the state to allow us access to most new production pistols, but in my 8 or so years of carrying I have never seen a sign in the state posted anywhere I have went.

The signs are slowly coming down in Kansas. I have to say a Kansas based retailer "Alco/Duckwalls" has a policy that their stores are not posted.

I think there are less than 6 places posted in my town. Their used to be about 15. That's a good decrease in less than 12 months.

I can carry in church, in a restaurant that serves alcohol (even though I don't drink), I can carry in a movie theater and really anywhere I care to go. Some states won't let you do that regardless of whether they have signs or not. We're making progress in Kansas. Keep watching.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

You have to wonder if some anti-2A group auto-distributed the signs when concealed carry was enabled.

I think my post might of been taken out of context,I think what I was trying to point out is how people apparently fearing the worst and without doing any research just stuck a no-gun sign up,I realise ks just got concealed carry passed against the wishes of the governor,I do realise that in states where concealed carry has been around for several years people actually realized that we are not a threat,that we are not psychotic,but that we are realists and we don't stick our heads in the sand when bad things happen.It is only through positive interaction with businesses that over time will help the signs come down.Thanks for the feedback
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Actually the League of Kansas Municipalities and Kansas Chamber got into it. They were against CC in Kansas. From there city PD's and Chambers were printing up signs and taking them to businesses. In some cases the businesses were told they HAD to post the signs.

Think how a business owner would feel if a police officer showed up with a sign in hand and said, here you need to post this because of a new law that was passed.

In most cases the business owner would post the sign without any questions or checking out the new law. I have spoken to some who did just that and now they have taken down the signs because I explained the law and gave them a copy to read themselves.

Now we have the No Gun = No Money business cards that we hand out.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

I just let them know they have lost my business until such time as they agree to provide me and my family a safe shopping environment. They seem quite surprised to hear that someone considers "no guns" to be unsafe, until I point out that a BG needs only to see such a sign to know this place is "easy pickings".
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

There are 2 convenience stores here with gas pumps. One has a sign, the other doesn't. I went in the one without the sign and asked them about it and that I was glad they didn't have a sign up like the 'other guys' .... their comment was ..... "well, if someone gets robbed, we're betting it will be the other guys' (laughing).

The Anti's tried all types of things here & getting signs out in mass, bullying businesses into posting, etc. They even had some a little more fanatical one's trying to "out" people if they thought someone was carrying (very loud, boisterous, and alarmingly). I had it occur to me once when I wasn't carrying and had some real fun embarrassing the guy.... he had thought the cell phone under my shirt was a gun. The owner of the store told him, they liked the idea of people being armed and hoped if anything ever happened that someone 'armed ' was around. I do a lot of business there now.

Some anti's are newspaper owners and still trying to stir things up. But, 80% of the people here were for conceal carry, and I think some businesses are starting to get the idea as CCH's let them know.

I remember when they first passed CC in Kansas, I was living in Lawrence at the time and the DA went around passing out the signs. I didn't really have an opinion either way on the law at the time but I thought it was absurd that the business could prohibit you at will.

The anti-gunners here (Shawnee, KS) really tried to spread the whole "wild west, shootout on every corner" mindset here when the CCL thing was moving forward and got some people to believe them. Now that time has passed and the morgues are not full of the bodies of all who anger us gun nuts, and there are not pools of blood on every street corner, store owners are seeing the reality of it all and taking them down. Slowly but surely. It's nice to see common sense actually applied sometimes.
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links