CHL Advice

CHL Advice

This is a discussion on CHL Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im turing 21 in about a week and am planning on taking the class at the first avaliable time thereafter. The problem is that ive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHL Advice

CHL Advice

Im turing 21 in about a week and am planning on taking the class at the first avaliable time thereafter. The problem is that ive heard so many people say its not even worth it because here in Texas the laws are so strict. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the matter. by the way my first pistol is going to be a sig220st. thanks

Senior Moderator
    Ive heard that quite a bit myself...about my own state. As a CCW instructor and teaching the class and the law itself, youd be surprised at how many misconceptions there are. I've even had people argue with me about certain aspects of the law that someone had told them about, and because so and so told them they were certain that it was correct.

Dont let someone else decide for you if its worth it or not.
    Take the class and get the information first hand.

Hotguns is right take the class and see for yourself only way to be sure

I agree with HotGuns!

Do what you feel is right and being 21 please do not let the precived power of having a hand gun on you all the time bite you. Also 21 is legal drinking age, gun's and alcohol do not mix well.

I'm not preaching to you, just concerned! If you get your permit you will not only represent yourself but all of use too. Just be smart about it the first time. I am not sure at 21 I was ready to carry before getting somethings out of my system first.

Good luck,

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    All good advice. For sure get that class under your belt and as for the 220 - not a bad start at all

However restrictive some carry laws appear to be - chances are if you are careful and work within those you'll still find you have a better situation with than without.

One of biggest things I urge all my students to remember is the awesome responsibility they carry, along with their gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the boards!

Take the class and get your permit anyway. Good situational awareness can keep you out of a lot of trouble, and learning the laws is something we all have to deal with on different levels. For new permitholders, it can seem overwhelming.

Please stick around - this is a great board and there's lots to learn. And Happy Birthday!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Take the class. Any information and training is good information and training. Like others have said, don't let someone else decide what's best for you. Take everyone's advice and use it to help weigh the decision that you must make for yourself. CCW is a huge personal responsibility but it's the greatest tool you could ever give yourself if you ever came into a situation where your life depended on it.

IMO, if you have the opportunity to carry then you should seize it. Get the training you need, get to the range and practice, then carry that handgun anywhere and everywhere you can.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by js365k
    Im turing 21 in about a week and am planning on taking the class at the first avaliable time thereafter. The problem is that ive heard so many people say its not even worth it because here in Texas the laws are so strict. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the matter. by the way my first pistol is going to be a sig220st. thanks
    Find a CHL class that'll walk you through the entire process. It's quite a bit, but my CHL class walked me through all the fingerprinting, signing of pictures, etc etc etc, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Though, I am still waiting for my CHL, but it didnt seem that big of a deal to me. It could be worse.

you could be in Kansas.

BTW If you're in Texas, check out http://www.texaschlforum.com, every question you might have might be answered here.

I don't think the laws are that strict. Just remember to show your CHL along with your drivers license whenever you have L.E.O. contact, and follow the rules as to where you can and cannot carry. It's not THAT complicated, IMHO.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Get your permit and ignore the naysayers. Most often they have no clue of what they're talking about. A coworker at the gun store I work at continually tells people that you can't legally carry in a bank. BS!! is what I tell him everytime, yet he persists. Certainly it's a really bad idea to be 'made' in a bank, but it's not illegal to carry there. Take the class, get your P220, a good belt, a good holster and most importantly a range membership. Watch your back, stay alert, and if necessary shoot straight, you'll do just fine.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I have a Texas permit as do a great many people on this board. It is restricted in some arbitrary ways true, but it is far from useless.

What everyone else said.

I do OK in Texas, and the CHL course would have been great even if I didn't CC! Highly recommended. Welcome to CC too, from a Texas newbie.

Many years ago, I figured out that most of what you hear, from most people (even "authorities") is wrong.
    I suggest that you go to Packing.org and read up on what it has to say on Texas, then, go to the linked pages for the actual Texas laws, and read them.
    You will be well ahead of the game that way.

P.S. Don't do what I did when I turned 21, and buy (with the notion of concealed carry) an 8 inch barreled S&W model 686 with a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder holster!
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Take the class and get your CHL. Laws are NOT so strict as to make the CHL useless. Someone is giving you incorrect information IMHO.

Also recommend visiting Texas CHL Forum.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/index.php

As another Texas CHL member, I agree with exactly what has been said here already. Whoever told you that was either trying to justify why they have never taken the course, or making sure you would not want to be legal carrying and licensed while they are not.

Course is not hard, very informative. As a former LEO from the 70's and 80's, a lot of it was good refresher material for me. I enjoyed it.

As to the laws being too strict.... hogwash. Memorize where you can't carry, remember to show both DL and CHL to LEO officers when stopped, and you have no problems.

Regardless of how someone else preceives the laws to be, just remember that when licensed, you are legal to carry. If you are not licensed, you are illegal if you choose to carry. It's that simple. I don't want to gamble, and I value my guns, so I choose to be legal all the way around.

Like others have also mentioned above, the Texas CHL forum is a good place to get information. A bunch of us from the board are planning to have a table set up at the TSRA gun show and meeting in Mesquite the weekend after next at the Rodeo Convention Center. Drop by if you are in the neighborhood and you can get all the information you need first hand !

Take the class and take it seriously. No matter how bad or good it might end up being there is a strong possibility that you will learn something useful about carrying concealed. That will end up making you into a more responsible, more effective, and more knowledgeable concealed carrier of a handgun. Never pass up an opportunity to learn something. And, only you can be the judge of the worth of whether or not the effort was worth it.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links