Which 1911 Kimber for Carry?

This is a discussion on Which 1911 Kimber for Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My favorite pistol is a Kimber Raptor II which is a full size 5" barrel 1911. It fits my hand perfectly and I am very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911 Kimber for Carry?

Which 1911 Kimber for Carry?

My favorite pistol is a Kimber Raptor II which is a full size 5" barrel 1911. It fits my hand perfectly and I am very accurate with it compared to other non scoped handguns that I own.

I am now looking for a more compact carry gun and want to stick with a Kimber 1911 with an aluminum frame. I am looking at the Ultra, Compact and Pro. The Ultra is a 3" barrel and the Compact and Pro are 4" barrels with the Compact having the shorter/smaller grip like the Ultra. The Pro has the larger/standard 1911 grip like the fullsize Kimbers. I will have both night sigths and Crimpson Trace laser on this pistol.

I have never shot a Ultra or Compact but have shot a Pro. The pro was very nice and similar to my Raptor except for the lighter aluminum frame. However, I would like the idea of something even smaller for carry like the Ultra or Compact.

Does anyone have any experience with the above pistols relative to both shooting accuracy and carrying? I have heard that the shorter 3" barrels are not that comfortable for CCW as the heavy grip section tends to want to tip the pistol and holster over.

All input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Revolver Nuts
    NRA Endowment Lifer

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've become a big fan of the procarry HD stainless. Shot it and loved it...has decent acurracy. Tried it on in a MS VMII and it felt good. Got one for Christmas but haven't had a chance to play with it yet till I get home.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I carry an Ultra Carry and I also have the Grand Raptor and the Ultra Raptor. I love all of them and do carry all of them from time to time, but the Ultra Carry II gets the nod more often than not.

If you already know you want a laser, why not just go with the Kimber Ultra Covert? It comes stock with pretty much everything you are looking for.

I have never noticed a 3" barrel to be uncomfortable in the least. But then again, if you're using a Walmart belt and a cheap holster, pretty much anything will be uncomfortable. I had a little trouble finding a holster that I like, but Brommeland's Max Con V converted me. I now own one for every pistol I carry.

In reality, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the options that you mentioned.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I carry an Ultra Carry and I also have the Grand Raptor and the Ultra Raptor. I love all of them and do carry all of them from time to time, but the Ultra Carry II gets the nod more often than not.

If you already know you want a laser, why not just go with the Kimber Ultra Covert? It comes stock with pretty much everything you are looking for.

I have never noticed a 3" barrel to be uncomfortable in the least. But then again, if you're using a Walmart belt and a cheap holster, pretty much anything will be uncomfortable. I had a little trouble finding a holster that I like, but Brommeland's Max Con V converted me. I now own one for every pistol I carry.

In reality, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the options that you mentioned.

Thanks,

That is the exact holster that I have decided on.

Revolver Nuts

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    No experience with those specific pistols, but some thoughts I'd like to offer. I do have several 5 inch 1911's and carry one daily (with a proper holster, I find it not too difficult). I also have a 3 inch Micro Compact from Springfield Armory.

The three inch 1911's are more likely to be problematic from a functional perspective. The geometry of the locking mechanism was designed on a longer base, and it simply is more prone to trouble when made that short. Not that they can't function properly, just that the chances for trouble running it are greater. For that reason, I'd suggest the 4 inch barrel. Most of the semi custom (higher end) makers such as Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Les Baer stick with either 4 inch or 4.25 inch (Commander) lengths for their shorter pistols. Might consider this in your choosing.

For the grip (the part that actually is more difficult to conceal) if you feel comfortable with the shorter grip, that would be my choice. These are also used by many of the big names, or they will do the "Bobtail" treatment to provide for less printing.

Colt, Kimber and Springfield Armory all continue to make and market 3 inch 1911's. And if that's really what you want, it may be worth risking some headaches to get what you want. But I just wanted to suggest you consider some of the information above.

Ultimately, it might well help you decide if you could find a range that rents any of the above sizes (the more the better), so you could try them out before you buy. That'll help you decide what you really want and can live with in a new firearm.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Ultra Carry II

I carry the Ultra Carry II with the Crimson Trace Grip. I never leave home without it.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

I think the Compact is the right pistol, as the gun height is 1/2 inch shorter and you still have a 4 inch barrel. The grip is the hard part to conceal while the difference in concealment of a 3 to a 4 inch barrel isn't worth talking about. The 4 inch guns are also more reliable, will shoot better, and will give you a bit more velocity...all good things.

If I had the cash I'd buy a Kimber CDP II and spend a few extra $$ and get it bobtailed. I'd also remove the ambi safety. The rest looks great, and it has a nice melt job already.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member
    I carry 3 different 1911's and all are Commander length 4" - 4 1/4". I love the way they carry and shoot so any Kimber I buy will be Commander sized. I'm not a Kimber owner yet... but I am saving my shekels for a SIS Pro.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have the Ultra Carry II and Compact II and love them both. I carry the UCII often because it is the lightweight frame as opposed to the Compact of mine which is all steel.

The Compact was good right out of the box. The UCII required a lot a break in rounds (450-500) before she settled into a great carry piece. Of course the manual says it will require 500 rounds break in but it would have been nice to be golden out of the box like the Compact was.

Both are great guns and I'm not sorry one bit I chose them over another brand.

Ron
    I carry a Stainless Ultra Carry II. Easy carry and very reliable. I thought of getting a Pro Carry, but am worried about being able to conceal the larger grip wearing shorts and a T shirt here in Florida.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I sometimes carry an Ultra CDP II, usually in a small fanny pack, worn at 10:OO.

I have been using a Ultra Carry II. I even took my CHL class with this gun. It turned out to be I was the only one shooting with a gun that had a 3" barrell and still shot a perfect score. I have no dought the gun can shoot better than I can ever do, but it really did open some eyes of some of the other people in the CHL class that day how good a person can shoot with a gun with a "short" barrell. As mentoned before ,get a good holster (I use a sholder holster 80% of the time) but if you use a belt holster be sure to get a good belt. On my IWB holster I have a retention strap that crosses over between the slide and the hammer since I carry in position 1. It holds the gun in the holster really good.

Either gun is a good carry gun. You will be happy with either choice

New owner of a UC Crimson Trace II. Awesome firearm, soon to be my EDC once I get comfortable with it.

More accurate than I am, and love the balance of the weapon in my hands.

Really easy to settle sights after a shot...easy to double tap and be accurate. Smoothest 45ACP I've shot. My XD .45 is super jealous of it.

Working on night sights for it.

I carry the Kimber Ultra Carry II, and will till the day I die as far as I'm concerned.
    Except for a few FTE's within the first 500 rounds, it has never malfunctioned since. I think it was my cleaning habits. Too much grease.

If you go with the UCII, you will not regret it.

My 2cents.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Ultra CDP (1st series) riding on me hip as I type.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links