CCW Class complete - now the wait...

This is a discussion on CCW Class complete - now the wait... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my Concealed Carry class this past Saturday. Scored 100 on written, 100 on shooting ('course it wasn't that hard either). Called first thing this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Class complete - now the wait...

CCW Class complete - now the wait...

Took my Concealed Carry class this past Saturday. Scored 100 on written, 100 on shooting ('course it wasn't that hard either).

Called first thing this morning to get appointment with the Sheriff's office and was told the earliest I could get in was Feb 12th. Oh well.

A buddy of mine in the sheriff's office said they were down to running about 30 days between appointment and issue. We'll see.....I expect that number to increase....

moonshinew

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    30+ days just to get your appointment with the SO sucks, then another 30 days after that. Of course that isn't as bad as some states. Look at it this way, gives you time to practice CC around the house while your waiting.

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the New Member Intro section.

Man, I can't believe how long it takes in some states. I've gotten a great education on what states not to move to. Its amazing to me to think you've got to sit and wait just 30 days and you have to actually talk to the sheriff to get a permit. Here, we do nothing more than go to the police station, fill out some paperwork that takes ten minutes and then wait about 21-30 days. It can take longer, but its running really fast right now from what I'm hearing. It took me 19 days I think to get mine back and I've never seen the sheriff once in my life.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Yeah, seems like quite the wait just for the appointment. He did tell me that the whole process of the actual appointment only takes about 30 minutes. Still, it's better than the full 90 days. Just hoping that by the time I get my appointment the wait time hasn't increased dramatically.

Archer51 - that's exactly my plan. I've been starting my "holster drawer" :) already and trying to plan wardrobe, etc. I want to be ready to go the minute I get my permit.
    I wanted to have the gun I plan to carry before I took the class. I had already shot a couple hundred rounds through it before the class. Amazing some of the people in the class had guns they had never shot before and you knew full well they weren't going to be carrying them.

Thanks guys - I'll head over to new member intro....

Congrats on passing.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The wait is final step of this right of passage. One thing you could do is carry inside your home and get comfortable with it. Once it comes don't forget to take your trip to WallyWorld and to get some Nachos. Congrats!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Congrats on passing, use your waiting time to get in more practice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    ...Here, we do nothing more than go to the police station, fill out some paperwork that takes ten minutes and then wait about 21-30 days...
    Here, we fill out some paperwork that takes about 5 minutes and then you have to wait about 5 mins more for them to call in your background check. They print the permit for you on the spot, takes about 10 minutes total, if you have a clean record.

Although sometimes I wish Alabama required passing a course.

On another note, I remember the sheriff DELIVERING permits to my dad and grandfather in person back in the early 80s. They were free back then.

An appointment? To do what? Get fingerprinted? Are they gonna interview you?

I went down to my county jail, paid them $10.00, got printed, turned in my completed application w/class completion certificate & finger prints & I was out of there in 15 min.

Less than a month later, I got a call to come down to the SO to have my pic taken for the CHL (I guess they didn't want to waste a pic if my BG check came back bad). Another 10 min. & I was legal.

Isn't NC shall issue? These small obstacles they're throwing in your path shouldn't be happening in a shall issue state.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

KeninColo - No, there's no interview as such, it's just a scheduled time to come down and do your paperwork, fingerprints, etc., etc. They schedule everybody 30 minutes at a time and that was the first open slot they had between now and then. The only reason they have 'appointments' is so that they don't have 50 people show up at one time.

It's getting pretty busy around here. My instructors routinely have 20 people in a class every week and they are by far not the only ones teaching. So, if I'm being really nice about it, I can certainly see how that might overwhelm the SO. While it very much is a 'shall issue' state, I seriously doubt anybody's going to add personnel just to deal with CCW applicants...

Oh, and btw, wouldn't I love to pay $10. Here it's $90. *after* the class fee.

I took the class this past Saturday as well. I'm in Virginia.
    I was actually disappointed in the class and how little was taught.
    The instructor was a NRA "qualified" instructor.
    The class was 2 hours long with 15 minutes of shooting.
    No written
    He didn't go into a whole lot of detail in my opinion.
    He made us shoot 10 rounds and that was it.
    He said all he wanted to see was general safety and whether you could hit the paper at 7 yards.
    He never watched me hold my weapon. His assistant (who was also a NRA instructor) came over and looked at my results, gave me a compliment on how tight my pattern was and said I could go get my certificate from his wife.

I asked questions but still found myself later thinking I wish I would have asked this or that.
    I may pay another $60 and take it again from another instructor so that his lack of teaching doesn't screw me in the future.

I went to the courthouse this morning, paid my $50, took an oath that my forms were accurate and was told to wait 4 weeks.
    That simple.

By the way,
    Great forum here.
    I've spent countless hours reading.
    Learned more here than the class.
    haha
    Last edited by Backlash; January 5th, 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typo

I was pretty pleased with our class. It was scheduled for 8 hrs including shooting. Covered in pretty good detail NC laws on deadly force, concealed carry, etc. Lots of scenarios proposed.

Shooting was timed 5 round groups from 3, 5, & 7 yards - 50 rounds altogether. Fun to do. But, yeah, basically if you were in the black you passed. Except for 2 or 3 flyers, kept all mine in the 9 ring -

In Colo I paid $150.00 for the 16 hr class (4 hours of shooting) and $152.50, the maximum by law, for the permit.

My Utah non-res permit was $30.00 for the 4 hour class, $10.00 for the printing (done at my county jail) and $65.25. I furnished my own pic. The permit came in 58 days.

Yes, all the instructors are telling me there's been a 6 fold increase in people who want to get their CCW permits. And they all want them before inauguration day.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links