Driveway Alarms

Driveway Alarms

This is a discussion on Driveway Alarms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been considering one of the magnetic driveway alarms to install at one of my out buildings and the house driveway. Does anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveway Alarms

Driveway Alarms

I have been considering one of the magnetic driveway alarms to install at one of my out buildings and the house driveway.
    Does anyone have any experience they might share about these systems and any recomendations?
    Thanks and best wishes.

Check here...from this past summer's posts........http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ghlight=alarms

Thanks Ram Rod, but not much help with the thread as I was looking for info relative to "magnetic" drive alarms.
    Thanks and best wishes.

Proximity sensors?

Not sure what you mean by magnetic but we kids bought one for my dad a couple years back. It's still in service and he loves it. He runs a small fishing bait business. Thsi keeps him from missing a sale and alerts to anyone coming in the drive. It mounted on a pole with a reflector across the way where you want to detect entry exit. It keeps a count and can handle multiple zones. You can also hookup external ringers etc.. it uses a contact closure. The rcvr(s) can be quite aways from the xmiter. My dad's is in the house about 200" away. The second link is to xmitter. There is also the old gas station air hose bells but they are cost prohibitive and less effect at longer distances.

Hope this helps.

Extra Receiver for the Rodann Driveway Alarm, Set RX-2000

Extra Transmitter for the Rodann Driveway Alarm Set, TX-2000
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I'll try to be more specific about something I know nothing about.
    I believe the magnetic sensors will detect a vehicle or steel masdsd that moves across it and send a signal to a receiver. The receiver emits an audible alarm, and, I assume there is a way to turn on lights etc after a time delay.
    My work shop is about 600' from my home and it would be nice to know if someone drives in at night.
    Additionally, my wife is blind, and one on the drive would be give her a little advance notice if a vehicle pulls in ther while I am gone.
    I was hoping some of you had experience with what works and what does not, and any suggestions that might save me from doing something stupid.
    Thanks Ramrod, did not think of the name proximity sensors.
    rolyat63, Thaks, that company has the magnetic devices as well. I looked at the infra red and my concern was controling the sensor so it did not set off everytime a cat or dog walked by or someone out on the street.
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I'll try to be more specific about something I know nothing about.
    I believe the magnetic sensors will detect a vehicle or steel masdsd that moves across it and send a signal to a receiver. The receiver emits an audible alarm, and, I assume there is a way to turn on lights etc after a time delay.
    My work shop is about 600' from my home and it would be nice to know if someone drives in at night.
    Additionally, my wife is blind, and one on the drive would be give her a little advance notice if a vehicle pulls in ther while I am gone.
    I was hoping some of you had experience with what works and what does not, and any suggestions that might save me from doing something stupid.
    Thanks Ramrod, did not think of the name proximity sensors.
    rolyat63, Thaks, that company has the magnetic devices as well. I looked at the infra red and my concern was controling the sensor so it did not set off everytime a cat or dog walked by or someone out on the street.
    Best wishes.
    You can install it where the beam is not too low. My dad had some tree limbs in the area beyond the reflector. We trimmed those and it is fine. The external contact closure can be connected to make the lights come on or any other device that can be toggled by a contact closure.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

It sounds like these are similar to the strips installed at stop lights (at least where I come from).
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

I would look for one with a hose to run over. I have had 2 models and the magnetic one did not hold up.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Dakota Alert

I am not 100% sure of what type alarm you need... but I have an alarm made by Dakota Alert. It is the second one I have had by them. I know they make one for under the driveway. I have the remote motion detection one. It does go off when deer go by, but not from cats, groundhogs etc. I opted for this one, as no underground wires or cables needed installed. The outside unit has a 9v battery and it is wireless to the inside unit. Super easy to do.

This company has been really great to deal with. We had a terrible ice storm here in 2004, and it was almost 10 years old then. A tree fell on it and damaged it. We had to replace the entire system, since they have upgraded and the old ones were no longer available. They gave us one heck of a deal on the new system. Top rate from us on customer service. I know they have many kinds of alarms.

This is odd I suppose, but when we travel - we pack it and use it for the hotel door at night. I just set it up on the floor facing the wall right by the door, and plug the whistle unit into the bathroom outlet.

I don't know much about these but I have a friend who has a system that rings a buzzer at his house and his shop. It also activates a switch that stays on. They have it wired to a camera system that is connected to his TV. So when the buzzer goes off he can pick up his TV remote and switch over to the cameras and see who is coming down his driveway.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

we have used 3 of the hard wired dakota alert ones that have the metal detector not the motion detector and they all work great they are adjustable for sensitivity and give of a sound and also can power a relay to run lights or whatever. We have one hooked to a security system and when someone drives over it the system actually says "visitor in driveway"

dakota alert

Having severe hearing loss in both ears from a high fever when I was 3 years old ...I can't hear at night without hearing aids on..I invested in a dakota alert motion sensing unit..I hooked a "bloodhound" mini strobe light with a mini siren that I wired to a switch to the receiver so I can turn the siren on or off..now I know if anyone's in the driveway..I sleep better at night !!!

I prefer the IR version. I have one that overlooks my carport and one in an out building that houses my 4wd toys. On the building with my toys I also have two wireless sensors that are part of my house alarm.

The one at my carport will simply ding like a doorbell if anything gets near my car. The one in the out building continually goes off if it it tripped.

I caught two thugs a few years ago stealing my Sams Club stainless steel grill. that was a funny one. I won't get into the specifics but let's just say they won't be back trying to steel anything from me again. The expression on their face was PRICELESS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links