1 thru 10 - time to vote!

This is a discussion on 1 thru 10 - time to vote! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I selected a two. I live in the Keweenaw Penninsula of upper MI (turn your left hand over so your thumb is at the top ...

View Poll Results: Your perceived crime risk quotient in your area

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Risk factor 10 (highest)

1 0.59%
  • Risk factor 9

0 0%
  • Risk factor 8

4 2.35%
  • Risk factor 7

14 8.24%
  • Risk factor 6

16 9.41%
  • Risk factor 5

30 17.65%
  • Risk factor 4

24 14.12%
  • Risk factor 3

36 21.18%
  • Risk factor 2

30 17.65%
  • Risk factor 1

15 8.82%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 thru 10 - time to vote!

I selected a two. I live in the Keweenaw Penninsula of upper MI (turn your left hand over so your thumb is at the top and your fingers are facing to the right. I am halfway up your thumb on the west side of the penninsula). I live in a town of 200 people, another 500-600 the next town over. I go to school in Hancock, which is across the Canal from MI Tech, and the Houghton/ Hancock Metro is maybe 3-3500 including students. Relatively low crime rate. Mostly DV, DC, drunks, and small criminal mischief (teens being teens).

I honestly tend to think everywhere is dangerous. It is the lax attitude ( Condition White) than can get us into trouble when we need to act.

That being said, the Little Caezar's pizza place was just robbed at gunpoint last week Tuesday. Made out with $950 cash. My fiance's dad wonders why I carry a gun. He thinks just because we live in a small town, we are exempt from crime and LE is just around to rape the working class out of their hard earned dollars. Did you guess they are all hardcore Dems? What gave you the clue?

When he asks me why I need to carry a gun, I tell him I hope I never need it. And by the way, it's called the Bill of RIGHTS, not the Bill of NEEDS. That usually shuts him up. Most of the time I just walk away.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

I gave my area a 4. Gangs are becoming bolder on the eastern fringe and suburban drug crime is on the rise. A couple murdered over crack awhile back, just a few blocks away.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

When I had my house built back in about 1985 or there 'bouts, I'd have rated my "need" at maybe two. But with in influx of so many new people and the area in general growing, I'd have to call it at least a "4" and growing.

More people, higher percentage of idiots, and the growing popularity of drugs doesn't help the situation.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Now I would have to say an 8. Years back maybe a 2. Matter of fact we had a shooting down the road from me last Saturday. Use to be all country but to the east the city folks moved in like locust and growth in my area is comeing fast,

Along with the gangs and drugs. If I walk the appalacian trail I carry. Always worry about some of the gals I see hikeing alone thru this part. Also any jaunt in the woods I carry a Ak or one of my .308 rifles with me due to the meth labs hidden in the hollers around here now.

Assistant Administrator
    More thx - sample now 99 - which is excellent. We are about on a top score for 3 but one thing that is apparent (hardly surprising) - is that almost every post refers directly or obliquely to drugs! I haven't checked to be exact but it seems like most.

Out of that meth-labs seem to get a lot of mention and in some ways, while all drugs are producing problems - meth seems to have taken center stage this last few years. Other hard stuff like smack and crack are still there and dangerous but wow, meth is one heck of a problem.

It is sad that so many folks are suggesting that crime is ''encroaching'' on them - from being fairly OK - time has led to development and so often a steady increase in threat potential.

Signs of the times folks - and certainly ever more good reason to adopt carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I do feel that crime is "encroaching" on me, but only because I moved into a sparsely populated area that has really "filled in," mostly in the last 5 years.

I do have occasion to venture into areas that would rate much higher on the scale, but not often and only when I can't avoid it. Most of the time, I do avoid such travel.

One place I always give special attention to is the convenience stores. Going in those for gas or food can put you at risk. Especially when you see footage on the news where the clerk gets shot, even when giving the BG's what they demanded.

With what passes for my "lifestyle," avoiding the convenience store would be, well. . . Inconvenient!

Mike
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Right now, I'd vote for a weak 2 level. I haven't lived in this place very long, so I'm still assessing the threat level. We're at the end of a dead end road, the house is two hundred yards off the road, and the closest neighbor is quarter mile away. The local sheriff and his deputies are no-BS types, so the BG's prefer to stay away. I still carry full time.

Suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul with very little crime. If you are talking violent crime I would rate us a 1. Overall we have a few thefts, vandalism, shop lifting type crimes. This doesn't mean I don't maintain a condition yellow when out and about. Things can change quickly for the worse.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Crime stats from Google Earth

Go to earth.google.com and play around with the statellite viewer. It's cool. Check out what your house looks like. I freaked my dad out when I emailed him a satellite pic of his house and noticed he had bought a new motorcycle!!

Must have broadband and download the free version (11.x MB) It gives you crime stats, from 2000.

The county I live in (Keweenaw County) :
    Assault 8
    Burglary 17
    Rape 2
    Murder 0
    Larceny 38
    Robbery 0

Neighboring Houghton County:
    Assault 22
    Burglary 86
    Rape 11
    Murder 0
    Larceny 406
    Robbery 1

Where I moved from: Green Bay/ Brown County
    Assault 236
    Burglary 978
    Larceny 4625
    Murder 2
    Rape 62
    Robbery 74

Quite the difference 215mi can make.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'd guess 5 for me...not too much violent crime around me, but there are a lot of car breakins that occur and what i would guess to be a high rate of drug use in the high school from what i hear...you just never know

Assistant Administrator
    Sample now 135 votes - even better and #3 has settled in as a top score.

Thx again for all posters and voters - even more would still be good. I guess the #3 zone is not too bad overall - maybe even encouraging!! No cause for complacency tho, naturally.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If I consider just my home, I'd say a 2 - middle class suburb of PGH, but where I work would be a 4, so I guess I'll say 3.

I marked 5 - somewhat less than the average? Live in rural, western Oregon (about 30 miles west of Portland) on a farm. Also live about 100 yards off of the paved road that provides our address. It is an enticing place for folks who want to wander off the main road and steal stuff. Particularly farm tools and shop tools. I am home alone all day (retired) and have had many, many "visitors" who come down our lane and just look around. You develop a kind of 6th sense about many of these folk and just know that they are up to no good. On a number of occasions guys have gotten out of their car just to "look around". When I step outside with my 357 in my belt in plain view they have all decided it was time to leave. So far, so good
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

In my immediate neighborhood, a 2 like I polled. Go downtown at certain times of the day of certain times of year and that number easily jumps to a 6-7. Still not in the extreme, but certainly enough to ponder where you should be walking at night.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Probably a 2 for me. I live in a rural area only about 1 mile from work. However I am always armed when not at work. I am not allowed to carry while working My carry piece comes off my belt when I pull in the yard at work , and goes back on as soon as I get back in my truck. It is in my belt now and will go in a holster mounted to the bed when I go to bed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links