New Orleans story

This is a discussion on New Orleans story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO, I go to New orleans to watch my UT Utes humble the tide in the Sugar Bowl. As I am walking up to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans story

New Orleans story

SO, I go to New orleans to watch my UT Utes humble the tide in the Sugar Bowl.

As I am walking up to the Super Dome I see they are physically searching people coming in the doors and I hate, being made.

I have no CCW but am current LEO, So I'm covered under HB218

I am carring a S&W .32 H&R in an ankle holster and a CRTK M1614SFG knife in my right side pocket.

I walk up and they scan my ticket I raise my arms and the security guy reaching up under my arms then feels kinda around my waist.

A "thank you sir" and I'm inside cheering for the #1 college football team in the nation.

The next night, we go to the House of Blues and as I approach the door I see a security guard with a garrett metal detector wand.

I think Crap, I'm busted...

she wands my chest and waist and as she wands over my right pocket (remember the CRTK) the wands goes off. It's my cell phone, should I remove it? I ask, No sir, thanks and have a good night..

Then I am at the airport and I forget (I forget a lot) to send my knife through with my firearm, & now I'm bummed. I ask an information person if there is anywhere that I might be able to mail myself something that I forgot to send through my check baggage.

She tells me to to into the security area and ask for a TSA security supervisor, they can handle that for me.

I go into the security line, place all my items including this humungus pocket knife into a tray and tell the first person I see that I need to mail an item to myself.

The TSA agent is actually cool about it and they send the knife throught the scanner and meet me on the other side.

They have a machine that takes my info and mails me my knife..

Wow, cool TSA staff.. I thought they were gonna freek when they saw the knife in the scanner tub waiting to be sent throught the scanner..

Anyway didn't get made and I learned something on that trip.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Sooo, what did we learn? That just because there are pat downs and scanners, no one is safe from a BG with felonious intent. In Michigan I couldn't have carried into the game anyway, it's a sports stadium... stupid limitations! The fact no one caught your ankle BUG I guess isn't surprising. Thanks for sharing, I expect more businesses to be checking for guns in the next 4 years.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I learned that I could mail my stupid self my knife, and not one freeks about it.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I go to most of the Ohio State home games. There is a cursory check as you pass through the gates. Open your camera/binocular case, if you are carrying a purse, it needs to be opened. That's about it. I've never carried in the stadium because I am usually indulging an a few adult beverages prior to the game. Drinking and carrying is a real no no in Ohio, and I do have my priorities when it comes to OSU and tailgating

However, I always have an inexpensive folding knife in my pocket, and have never been "outed" or asked to remove it.

The main concern seems to be that you don't have a counterfeited ticket or a container of water. After all, they can get $4.00 for a 16oz bottle of water inside the stadium - they don't like competition form the outside.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

So what is the point of checking if it is going to be done only half way.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    To make us "feel" safer. Why, don't you?
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Administrator
    I've never seen one done right, in fact I've posted about that before. Working undercover, I actually took a class on this and have used methods to waltz right by these silly checks with whatever I needed to for the job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I went to a concert in Ft. Lauderdale, FL last year. At the gate they had signs up with the standard "No Cameras, Video, Alcohol, Weapons...blah blah...No wallets with chains and no hard purses"

Well, I had a wallet with a chain, a S&W folder, a camera and my beer (plastic bottle). I asked my wife to hold the beer while I held all the "contraband" items in one hand. The security did a pretty thorough pat down, but never looked at my hands. I walked past him, my wife handed me my beer, and the guard grabbed it and handed it to me.

The guy behind us was carrying and got caught, but was just told he couldn't bring it in. He pulled out his LEO badge and was let right in.

I've always learned there are ways around the event security.

Hell, one of my friends brings the little armbands with him (you can buy them online) and puts on whatever color is needed to get up front. Hes been caught plenty of times and ejected, but every once in a while gets through.
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

I know what you mean. I went to a concert last summer at a large outdoor venue (DTE Theater near Detroit). I wasn't carrying, since I dont have my CCW yet. We got there really early because we had general admission tickets, only good if it's not a sell out.

Security was scanner everyone with hand held metal detectors and they never went farther down then a persons wallet and hip pockets.

I was thinking, gee I could have brought my snub nose in a ankle holster, no problem. Of course that would be illeagal here in Michigan. No CCW in entertainment complexs that seat more than 2,500 people.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've never seen one done right, in fact I've posted about that before. Working undercover, I actually took a class on this and have used methods to waltz right by these silly checks with whatever I needed to for the job.
    Like you SIXTO I have not seen many done right. I have been involved with the Security business for over 40 years. I could wright a book about the stupid stuff I have seen! I have brought knives and guns into places like Court Houses and such, with permission form their Security of course, as a test of the system. They all have built in weak spots, and most of them are the people who man and operate them.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is largely feel good theater for the masses.

Folk who want to get things through will get them through.
    Folk who plan and have mindset to do harm will do harm.

Plain and simple.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'll say you lucked out with the airport crew.

I forgot my knife and had to boogie halfway across the terminal to a post office and mail my stuff. Barely made the flight!

I went to pick up my sister at the airport, and forgot that I had some loose rounds in my pocket (OK,OK, I AM old and forgetful). The security guy, of course, told me I couldn't bring them in. I asked him if HE wanted them...Nope.... against the rules. He pointed to a trash container (which personally I thought was a hazzard) and into the can they went.

I know, I know, but my sister would have been completely overwelmed had I not showed up to lead her out of the place.

Yep, no reason at all the Utes shouldn't be ranked #1. They're the only major school who's still undefeated. They beat Alabama at least as bad as Florida did. They could beat OKLA or FLA.

If they don't end up #2 then somethings wrong.

But will they invite the Mountain West Conf into the BCS? NO!!! Back in the 80s, BYU, another Utah school, went undefeated but they ranked them #1. The BCS changed all that. That's the way it goes when you're in the forgotten time zone. They should just drop the "C" and call them the "BS".
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    I go into the security line, place all my items including this humungus pocket knife into a tray and tell the first person I see that I need to mail an item to myself.

The TSA agent is actually cool about it and they send the knife throught the scanner and meet me on the other side.

They have a machine that takes my info and mails me my knife..

Wow, cool TSA staff.. I thought they were gonna freek when they saw the knife in the scanner tub waiting to be sent throught the scanner..

Anyway didn't get made and I learned something on that trip.
    Did you show them your badge or LEO id? this may have influenced the process. I have an LEO friend who flew out unexpectedly a few months ago (serious illness in the family) and forgot a box for his duty ammo so he could not take it. He looked at the TSA agent and said "This is my duty ammo I need this back when I get back." It was waiting for him at will-call in a ziplock back with his name on it.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I definitely wouldn't take this as a precedence and try the same thing just anywhere. If you had your badge, it probably helped the situation. I know several TSA folks that would have had you spread eagle.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links