Question about situation

This is a discussion on Question about situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to travel a few hundred miles in the upcoming days, and was hoping to hitch a ride with someone via craigslist. lets ...

Thread: Question about situation

Question about situation

I am looking to travel a few hundred miles in the upcoming days, and was hoping to hitch a ride with someone via craigslist.

lets say i was to do this, and that person tried to rob me or pull something else, would i legally be allowed to defend myself within the vehicle?

the only reason i am attempting to do this is because i dont feel like riding my motorcycle over 300 miles in a straight shot at night time, so was hoping to throw her in the back of a pickup.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Best way to resolve a situation is to avoid it completely. I wouldn't hitch a ride off craigslist personally. I think it's inviting trouble. You always have the right to self defense, no matter what. Is it imperative you do this at night? If possible, why not find some backroads, plan a few rest stops, and ride it? Not sure how cold it is in NW FL, but I used to ride my sportbike year round in WA. Also consider that if you throw your bike in someones pickup, they may hold you liable for any damage done, like if a strap comes loose and it falls over and dents something...forget to put the kickstand up and it dents the bed, possible scratches from loading/unloading the bike, etc.

If you can't find someone you know to help you out, I'd just do it myself if I were in your shoes.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Put your leathers on and ride...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

You are allowed to defend your life if you meet whatever your state's requirements for self-defense are. As others have said I would avoid the situation if you are not comfortable with it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

rent a pick up from U Haul

Lead Moderator
    I would ride personally , but as said , yes you are allowed to defend yourself.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I have had nothing but excellent experiences with Craigslist. I would certainly be careful to find someone "normal" to hitch a ride with. I would even go as far as meeting the person a few days before you hop in with them...

most people are fundamentally good...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Dude, rent a car. Craigslist has been ruined lately with violent encounters (usually over prostitution hookups) and there is no way you should put your life in that kind of danger to go 300 miles.

Where do you need to go?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

the plan was to meet beforehand, im going to ride it thursday morning instead. Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Dude, rent a car. Craigslist has been ruined lately with violent encounters (usually over prostitution hookups) and there is no way you should put your life in that kind of danger to go 300 miles.

Where do you need to go?
    going from tampa to south florida for the tattoo expo this weekend in miami, but my lady friend down that way is insisting we take the bike

Lead Moderator
    Ride safe, have fun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My suggestion..... ride the bike. Just don't hit any alligators out on the roadway at night. Or, rent a trailer and trailer it down. Or, rent a small UHaul truck (can rent them very cheap) and haul it down in it.

I ride single all the time, night and day, all over the place. I love traveling at night. I'm usually armed, but I've never had an issue yet.... doesn't mean you won't... but make sure your tires are good, keep plenty of gas & don't run low, and don't try to ride at hyper-speed (watch out for the deer), and bike is running OK.... and you are good to go.

Ooppps... you may have a sport bike... hummm, if you do rent the trailer or the small truck from UHaul.

ahhaha im pretty good at keeping my baby up, not worried about that. have a patch kit and all that. Im a poor college kid so a uhaul is out of the question, im just dreading holding the throttle for hours on end, im going to go by the bike shop and see if i can get one of those throttle locks.

Instead of a throttle lock you might want to look at a throttle rocker instead. That way if for some reason you remove your hand from the grip the throttle will roll off normally. Those locks can be bad ju-ju after many hours in the saddle.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links