Hugs

Hugs

This is a discussion on Hugs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I've heard about the "go low" approach for hugs. This may or may not work for me. I work with teenagers who are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hugs

Hugs

OK so I've heard about the "go low" approach for hugs. This may or may not work for me. I work with teenagers who are always hugging me- and not just little hugs- I got some really friendly kids who really see me as a father figure. The problem is I'm really thinking it would be a whole lot of bad news if they find out.... so I'm not going to snezze or fake being sick, and I'm not going to say I don't hug, and I'm not going to stop carrying.... so advice ? I suppose one option would be to buy the new Ruger LCP and just carry that when I know I'll be hanging out with them...(of course the wife hates this option) Thanks.
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Remember? You have that "medical device/monitor" attached to your hip around 3:30. If they touch it, it may mess up the calibration...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

not prefered, but ankle carry or smart carry?
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Yup I have an implanted medtronic pump that leaves a big lump like a hockey puck under my belly at 1 oclock,just tell em to be careful you got a pump if they squeeze it to tight it could kill ya
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Tell them you have a colostomy bag and to not squeeze too hard. Should take care of the hugs or at least cut down on the number of them.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

these are kids that i have known for years- they know me too well to believe a colostomy bag!
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

What about changing your holser type to something like a smart carry. Unless I'm mistaken this places the waspon in your "lower pelic" area. I don't belive you will be getting to many hugs in that spot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    OK so I've heard about the "go low" approach for hugs. This may or may not work for me. I work with teenagers who are always hugging me- and not just little hugs- I got some really friendly kids who really see me as a father figure. The problem is I'm really thinking it would be a whole lot of bad news if they find out.... so I'm not going to snezze or fake being sick, and I'm not going to say I don't hug, and I'm not going to stop carrying.... so advice ? I suppose one option would be to buy the new Ruger LCP and just carry that when I know I'll be hanging out with them...(of course the wife hates this option) Thanks.
    Best advice is the go low practice.

How would it be "bad news" if they find out? Are you breaking company policy by carrying? If you are legally carrying by state law and not violating any company policy I don't see a problem.

Buying another firearm may not be a viable solution, but a S&W 642 disapears nicely in a pocket holster.

You use a smartcarry? Doesn't that go completely below your waisband? Isn't that kinda a no hug zone?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

keep your right arm over your holster and only hug with left arm. didn't you sprang your shoulder playing football or throwing a baseball? thats what i do if people want to invade my space
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

I actually have a Smartcarry and I hate it- I tried it up down side to side and nothing worked- I really wanted it to work too. I'm acutally using it at 3:30 right now 'cause I don't have anything else but I'm ordering a Supertuck when my Beltman comes in.

I don't know if it's against company policy (and I'm not going to ask!!!) I just think teens and their parents might not be too thrilled. I know most of them are very liberal- love Obama etc. and I'm like a youth mentor/role molel etc and don't want to hurt my relationship with them
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Honestly, I have been hugged many times by friends who wouldn't neccessarily be thrilled to know they just laid their arm on my firearm. They didn't have a clue. The vast majority of people just don't even let it cross their minds that you may have a firearm on you.

I think if you just continue to exercise reasonable caution and do your best for your concealement (which is probably what you do as well as everyone else here), then you should be fine.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    these are kids that i have known for years- they know me too well to believe a colostomy bag!
    You can always talk about "good touch... bad touch" when it come to you like, "No hugging me around the waist because it is bad touch to me"

Pocket carry would be a great optiion
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Just because they are liberals does not mean they are antigun. I know several liberals that are very progun and I know several conservatives that are anti gun. You never know you could tell the truth when and if the situation occurs or you could tell them it is your cellphone.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links