Wow what a bad comment - Page 3

Wow what a bad comment

This is a discussion on Wow what a bad comment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never let them or any assaliant close enough to you to get you or your weapon. CQB cannot really be explained very well in a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow what a bad comment

Never let them or any assaliant close enough to you to get you or your weapon. CQB cannot really be explained very well in a forum. It's a hands on thing. That way you can determine if the technique is one you can actually perform under stress and under extreme time restrains.

Gabe Suarez teaches an excellent class called Zero To Five Feet - Pistol Gunfighting.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

VIP Member
    ScotVan, its true there may be some quacks on this forum that nobody should listen to, and they are usually able to be spotted. But this guy made it easy for us, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about concerning the firearms operation aspect of things. Once he showed his ingnorance on that I didn't want to listen to anything else he had to say.

(ScotVan....take a picture of your teeth when you're done with that dentistry work and post it on here )

There are some things that can be taught by video/print, but some things like disarming need to be taught in person-hands on.

IMO, this guy's techinique for disarming requires too much focus on too many things at once. One hand aroud the front of the frame/barrel doesn't have the same force as pivoting to the side to get out of line of fire and using both hands on the attacker's hand and gun at the same time to redirect/take away the weapon. I've trained in this and learned the good/bad, what works and what doesn't when someone wants to pull that trigger on you.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ScotVan, its true there may be some quacks on this forum that nobody should listen to, and they are usually able to be spotted. But this guy made it easy for us, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about concerning the firearms operation aspect of things. Once he showed his ingnorance on that I didn't want to listen to anything else he had to say.

(ScotVan....take a picture of your teeth when you're done with that dentistry work and post it on here )

There are some things that can be taught by video/print, but some things like disarming need to be taught in person-hands on.

IMO, this guy's techinique for disarming requires too much focus on too many things at once. One hand aroud the front of the frame/barrel doesn't have the same force as pivoting to the side to get out of line of fire and using both hands on the attacker's hand and gun at the same time to redirect/take away the weapon. I've trained in this and learned the good/bad, what works and what doesn't when someone wants to pull that trigger on you.
    Extremely well put. Please note that I never said that this techique is the end all to how to deal with the situation. I merely suggest that it isn't all bad. Respectfully, it really isn't that bad!

I guess I understand what you're saying, but I suppose my argument would be that your solution has the same basic point...get your body out of the line of fire (by pivoting or moving the gun). I think the points about following your line of attack are good, and I guess I just don't see what is so very objectionable to the presentation.

It smacks of snobbery. Perhaps I need to re-examine my evaluation of it, but I just don't see what everyone is so bent about. As an example, I added to my stand-up fighting abilities by watching the Muay Thai skills of one Pat Smith (maybe some will recognize the name, but that is immaterial). Also, I've learned a few takedown techniques from a great video by Oleg Taktarov (the Russian Bear). None of them were proved effective until I tried and practiced them in a training situation, but I certainly would never have condemned them from my office chair. Finally, I can't relate how much I've learned from Gabe Suarez, Clint Smith and Rob Pinkus...and I've never met ANY of them.

I'm not the most trained, best thinking, sly killer robot. I don't pretend to know everything, but it just seems like we're slamming this guy because we can. I don't see anything THAT objectionable, and while his technique may not be the way I'd deal with it, the guy never states that this is the only way to do things.

Anyway, take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm going to go ice this swelling I've got after putting my head in a drill press and root canal-ing myself (I saved 700 bucks, tho!!!).

Sincerely, Sixto...I meant no disrespect, just didn't understand why you were so critical of this guy when he may actually have something good to offer. Educate me...what would YOU suggest in such a situation.

Much respect to all,
    Scot
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

VIP Member
    its all cool man

I just can't stand to listen to someone training people in this field that state something about firearms that is completely inaccurate. His technique isn't 100% bad, I just think to the average person it will require more practice than the technique that we're taught (and have used full speed with force-on-force training)
    I'm not slamming the guy just because I can, I'm just saying that if he is teaching people that a semi-auto won't fire because you have a grip on the frame/barrel....then he'll get someone killed. I think his technique requires too much thinking, fine motor skill, too many steps etc compared to what others teach and I have used. If someone wants to learn from the videos...fine, but I wouldn't want to learn from someone that said the things this guy said about the firearm. A Gabe Suarez is completely different, he knows his firearms stuff and has used his techniques in real situations before.

still need pics of your dentistry work....and pics of the drill press with all your blood on it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links