Wow what a bad comment

This is a discussion on Wow what a bad comment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was bored tonight and got to thinking about what I may want to do to get into better shape and got to looking a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow what a bad comment

me [OP]

Wow what a bad comment

I was bored tonight and got to thinking about what I may want to do to get into better shape and got to looking a marshal arts and found a set of videos.

This set seemed pretty good but one bad comment messed them up for me.

Video

The instructor is holding the slide of a yellow gun with the attackers finger on the trigger as he falls and the instructor says , "Now what ends up happening is this finger will pull the trigger as well. Now this is a slide gun, this is an automatic, this gun will probably not fire."

BULL CRAP AN AUTO WON'T FIRE JUST BECAUSE YOU HOLD THE SLIDE. Apparently this guy forgets that the already chambers round will still fire, it probably will not reload but it sure will fire.

Wow how dumb.

ETA Starts at 2:06
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

You or he forgot one important factoid...you must press back on the slide to take it slightly out of battery. Then it will not fire. It takes constant pressure rearward. In my self defense against armed opponents, I shoved that slide backwards so hard it ejected the round. There is incomplete truth in the above statement.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

me [OP]
    now that makes better sense, It may be one of those items that if said/seen is understood but it was neither said nor can it be shown on a fake
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If the slide isn't out of battery there will be a bang if the trigger is pulled
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I'm thinkin' AFTER I get the business end of that thing NOT pointing at me... THEN I'll have time to consider if the slide is IN or OUT of battery!

Seriously, re-directing the muzzle should be first to my thinking. With a lot of practice one could learn to accomplish that and pushing the slide out of battery but I wouldn't want to count on me being that good, I'm prolly not.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm sure this guy is highspeed,low drag, but I'm not crazy about this technique.

It appears he has the revolver and the semi auto confused, Grabbing the cylinder of the revolver will keep it for rotating and firing, that being said if the revolver is already cocked, well we all know the conclusion there.

He never mentions driving the firearm out of battery and in his techquine he is driving the gun forward so trying to push the slide out of battery would required pushing the gun in two different directions.

I am wondering why he doesn't just torque the gun out of the guns hand, then smack him around.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    With a normal revolver it would be a lot more effective to put your hand over the hammer...that is, unless it has a shrouded hammer. I guess that is too complicated if you are in the middle of a fight.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm thinkin' AFTER I get the business end of that thing NOT pointing at me... THEN I'll have time to consider if the slide is IN or OUT of battery!

Seriously, re-directing the muzzle should be first to my thinking. With a lot of practice one could learn to accomplish that and pushing the slide out of battery but I wouldn't want to count on me being that good, I'm prolly not.
    You pretty much nailed it, in my opinion. Much easier to redirect first and it only requires gross motor skills.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

for me the best way is to just pull my pistol and shoot him, then you don't have to worry about any of that.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

My instructors taught me to redirect, torque gun out of hand and apply chop sake. Seems alot simpler than the Jett Lee movie stuff you saw in the vid.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Beware, there are a lot of mystical, magical, cream puff martial artists out there who make some stupid claims. Get used to it. If you are even remotely interested in extreme close quarters training, Kelly McCann (also gone by Jim Grover) is a good place to start. NO BS!!!
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Well...I've studied/practiced martial arts, for a long time, and there's nothing creampuff about it!? Now...torquing the gun out of his hand is correct; don't stand still, move into his body mass; and most important is this...dynamic of how a hand holds a gun! If he is right-handed, you want to move/torque his gun from his right side towards his left side... you have much better chance of loosing it from his grip... than from his left to his right. Don't believe me? Get your own gun right now, and try it. See??...there is a difference, isn't there!?

I've studied, practiced, and taught martial arts for a long time myself. I was just saying beware, there's a lot of bs out there. I've done quite a bit of grappling w/ weapons. Try training where you and your training partner are carrying airsoft guns and training knives, it's fun, real, and sometimes humbling.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    He never mentions driving the firearm out of battery and in his techquine he is driving the gun forward so trying to push the slide out of battery would required pushing the gun in two different directions.
    Don't you know......them Martial Artsy Guys can do that!

Administrator
    Comments and technique set aside, its extremely irresponsible to show or attempt to teach disarming in a video. I wouldn't listen to anything this quack has to say.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links