Outta Sight, Outta Mind

Outta Sight, Outta Mind

This is a discussion on Outta Sight, Outta Mind within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I asked my wife tonight what she thought about me carrying. Background: My wife was brought up with a father who hunted deer. So she's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outta Sight, Outta Mind

Outta Sight, Outta Mind

I asked my wife tonight what she thought about me carrying.

Background: My wife was brought up with a father who hunted deer. So she's seen rifles and enough deer hanging from trees that she won't even touch the stuff now. She is squeemish about other foods and is a picky eater also. But she isn't an "anti" and has gone with me a couple times to shoot .22 rifles and has shot my Sig 229 .40 before. She actually enjoyed it and would like to go again some time. We have a child about to turn 2 and she is preggo with another so I don't know when that'll be.

Anyways, so I asked her about what she thought about me carrying and she says that she really doesn't see it that often so she doesn't even think about it. I thought that was interesting since I am always carrying around her. I do make an effort, although a mild one, to holster up or to switch guns around her. I try to wait until she isn't looking or around. She did comment about the gun on the nightstand at night and that she didn't want the 2 year old to ever be able to get ahold of it. (I put it in the safe immediately in the am before I get in the shower). This brought up a mini conversation about how to introduce our children to guns, but nothing major. (I have the NRA video about children gun safety)

I just thought this was interesing that she was comfortrable and it was essentially "outta sight, outta mind" and that she didn't consider it much anymore.

How do your signifigant others feel?

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member
    My wife does not like it, but that is because she is concerned I might get into trouble somehow. She isn't anti-gun. When we were newly married, she was the one who asked me to get a gun for the house. When I asked why, she said, tata always had one.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post

How do your signifigant others feel?

You wanna ask her?

We were fooling around after we took the pix for our Christmas card.

Its also serving as my application photo for Blackwater

She's down wit it.

well.....

my wife carries just as much if not more than I do...she's a rare find...skins and cooks anything I bring home...and as far as the kiddos go I have lived by the saying that it's better too gunproof the kids than to kidproof the guns...so start as early as you see fit,but safety first of course...

Tolerates it and doesn't like that I always have to have a cover garment. It may make me end up getting a much smaller version of carry gun. I currently carry a 5" XD .45. She also worries I will get in trouble with it. I wouldn't do anything now I wouldn't have done before, though. I am just better armed now.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I have a 4 year old girl and a 5 year old boy, they seen my pistol on my side for a few years now. At first they asked but then they just let it go. about a 1 1/2 go I start the training of my son to go shooting with me I started out with a cap gun, then used a bb gun then my wifes baby .22 auto with no rounds or clip it it. Before I left for Iraq I took him out to shoot the pistol. He did a few things wrong but he only did them wrong once and they were not major things. My kids know that the guns in the house are not toys and to leave them alone unless daddy or papa are with them. That is just how I did it and it worked for mine.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

Assistant Administrator
    Mrs P95 way back was hesitant about it - maybe slightly influenced by memories of her Grandpa being shot with a rifle from an accident ..... so, not anti-gun but gun reticent!

After now six years plus of my CCW she is so used to it she hardly notices, other than maybe when it is not there and that ain't often at all - most of day it's open carry about house and office anyways.

Couple or so years ago she got her own CCW and we spent time at range etc - only thing is now she is not fastidious enough about carrying when she should even when out alone ... always working on that! Still pleased even so that things are as they are, even if could be better.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My wife has no problem with it and has bought me guns for b-days and Christmas presents. She has shot many of my handguns and is starting the process of getting her CCW permit. She also loves venison and ENCOURAGES me to hunt. Yep a keeper.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

She's sort of okay with it now. Wasn't at first. Took about 18 months of knowing I carried every day and watching me handle them safely, plus a few conversations about the evil that exists in this world and sometimes in our area, plus her realizing this is not a hobby for me but a way of life which I'm not going to abandon.

On the whole, she's not crazy about it (she'd rather continue to live in her fantasy world where evil doesn't happen to people like us), but she knows it's a done deal with me. She knows it's not worth her time to argue about it any more because I will not be swayed by emotion based on false assumptions or false information.

Every now and then she's playful about it when she tries to find out if I'm carrying (which I always am), so she's made a lot of progress.

My wife is fine with me carrying. My son, who is two, has seen my gun. The main thing is teach while they are young. So, it will never be a problem.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Smile My wife has a different perspective than some...

When she's "home-home" with me, she carries, too. When she's at the office, she depends on an elite squad of highly trained professionals (Federal Property frowns on office carry). When in her home-away-from-home, she's got an 18" 12 Ga fitted with a pistol grip, just in case somebody stops by and needs something.

A lady at my office once commented - I think it was following a mall shooting making the news a couple years ago - that she "would block the bullets with her own body to protect her kids, just like any mother would."

I related my coworker's comment to my wife later that day, and we both just smiled -- my dear wife is willing, if necessary, to send enough rounds back the other way to make sure we all get safely out of the mall and back home in time for supper.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

My wife feels more safe when I have it. When we drove to Florida, she felt more secure as we stopped at rest areas. She does find it a bit too much that I am sitting here armed at the computer though. But she is not upset with it either. Just finds me odd in doing it.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    My wife feels more safe when I have it. When we drove to Florida, she felt more secure as we stopped at rest areas. She does find it a bit too much that I am sitting here armed at the computer though. But she is not upset with it either. Just finds me odd in doing it.
    Thats o-kay mine finds me odd all the time. She asks me a lot when we are going somewhere out of the ordinary. I have not asked her why she is asking but I think she feels safer when I am.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links