Your ideal CCW mandate? - Page 3

Your ideal CCW mandate?

This is a discussion on Your ideal CCW mandate? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bingo! mm...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bingo!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    ...A restraining order is not a "standard". It is a legal means of protection for someone who can prove they're being threatened...
    In some localities, TRO's are issued through a self-serve window. Women's advocacy groups teach how to fill out the paperwork. The forms are submitted through a window, and the applicant picks up the TRO at another window once the clerk has it printed up. No real standard of proof is required. The TRO provides no protection, if the police fail to respond.

Euc, I'm surprised that you think the State should be able to confiscate your weapons because your angry ex doesn't want you within 100 ft of her. If you abide by the TRO, why should your right to self-defense be compromised? If you do not abide by the TRO, and are intent on breaking the law, how will the TRO prevent you from using another weapon to commit your crime?

To answer the original question, my ideal would be Vermont carry. Although I comply with Virginia law, I do not consider it "acceptable", and continue to work against what I consider to be unconstitutional constraints on my human right to carry whatever means of self-defense I choose.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

My belief is that those who should have the legal right to walk the streets freely should also have the right to be armed while doing so. In your case, Euclidean, that man obviously should not have that right; he should have been charged and jailed for assault.

Of course, the procedure for charging and convicting one of a criminal offense is far different than that for obtaining a restraining order; requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt of intentionally committing the crime, as well as a jury of Citizens should the defendant request one.

In some places I figure a restraining order is easier to obtain than a firearm. It is also easier to abuse than a firearm. Psychologically, one typically would not be as guilt-laden having had used a restraining order on an innocent or undeserving person, as one would having instead used a gun. Legally, the abuse of the family court system rarely, if ever, brings about penalty. Abuse of a firearm usually does.

Just my humble two cents.

My belief is that those who should have the legal right to walk the streets freely should also have the right to be armed while doing so.
    I agree. If a person cannot be trusted with a gun, that person cannot be trusted with knives, lead pipes, piano wire, broken bottles and the stuff under the sink. Conversely, if someone can be trusted around these things, that person can be trusted with a gun.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Back to the training requirement, I belong to a pinshooting club, and we have potential new members come and shoot fairly frequently. As a whole, they are competent to handle firearms, but some of them are incompetent to the point of being scary! After instruction, some are OK, but some are not. The standard in Euc's kingdom should be to demonstrate a minimum knowledge of safe gun handling and the legalities of use. Any needed training should be readily available and financed by the State (as in say, the General Welfare Clause), but training is not needed if you can demonstrate the requirements.

Restraining orders should be to keep said individuals out of the visual range of either party, and to prohibit contact electronically. If they violate that, they go to jail for misdemenor, if they violated it via assault or battery, they go to jail for felony.

Quote Originally Posted by StandOnGuard
    My belief is that those who should have the legal right to walk the streets freely should also have the right to be armed while doing so. In your case, Euclidean, that man obviously should not have that right; he should have been charged and jailed for assault.
    I can agree with that assessment.

The problem is that the restraining order concept when used against a truly violent person is a bandaid fix. I think that's the real issue here.

If we could reform the justice system to actually put violent people behind bars instead of slapping them on the wrist, that would solve all the complaints in this thread.

Other than that, trust me, the one person who I personally know who has a restraining order against him has no business with a firearm especially since he's a convicted nonreformed felon anyway. Anything to increase his chances of going to jail for a long, long time is a good thing in my book.

It's not my fault if other people who get restraining orders put on them aren't treated properly by a lousy system. I take care of my own first and I don't apologize for it.

I'm coming in late here, but have to weigh in. I gotta say, a restraining order should not be an automatic "gun control" event unless the one restrained is proven to be a threat to all society. In which case wouldn't said person be in violation of any variety of existing laws?

And BTW, Congratulations Chris! Welcome home!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Assistant Administrator
    And BTW, Congratulations Chris! Welcome home!
    Thank you Elk - in fact I felt ''back home'' to be honest way back in September of 2000 when I made the final move.

I guess I was born an American - just not in America All I miss of UK is a few special people - not the country!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

HotGuns,

I guess my son should turn in his issue 240 SAW. being he is a British Citizin who resides in the US & is a permanent Resident currently fighting in IRAQ . I really think you need to think that end of it over. My son believes in this country more then most 20 year olds that where born here .... They are all to busy smoking meth & waving a peace flag ... These people shouldnt have firearms .. not immigrants who want to be here.

This has hit a nerve... Im sorry but my son risks his life so people can have liberty & most people dont even think about where liberty comes from.....

GRRRRRRRRRRR..
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Assistant Administrator
    My son believes in this country more then most 20 year olds that where born here
    That is me dawg - and was from even before I got my green card. I was for ages before the citizenship (which folks have to remember, takes a LONG time!) a tax paying worker - and so hardly any different really.

I think tho - to try and partially subdue any flames, HG was feeling as many of us do - some ''illegals'' angst. I feel we must differentiate carefully between the well-intentioned perm' res' - and not compare with illegals.

The former should IMO have a right of self protection just the same as an indiginous American. They are not for most part free-loaders.

I feel your emotion dawg - and it is a fine thing your son is doing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm in the L. Neil Smith camp: Anyone can carry any gun they can afford and carry where ever they want, whenever they want.

Chris,

Yes I understand all your hard work @ becoming Legal My wife & I have spent thousands getting her legal & she will be a citizen soon.
    My wife is a British citizen that was raised in the US , Her father worked as a director of World Bank. She has lived al over the world but as far as her feelings She is as American as most & she has an Alien Firearm permit & a CCP. She has been checked out more then most CCP holders due to her being an immigrant.

As for the illegals that are in this country they are just that!!!! ILLEGAL.. I dont think they care about a CWP. They need to be dealt with. & the best way is a one way ticket out. no hearing . no wait just a bus ride.... If they broke the law to get here what other laws will they break...

As you know becoming a legal citizen takes money & work. & the illegals just spit in the face of those that are here legally & then you have politicians that are interested in votes & not the law...

I think we need another post on this subject..

Thanks all for listening to my rant.

Congrats to all non native americans!!!!!!!!!
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

I don't accept any restrictions on carry that aren't on a person as part of general prison confinement or accepting parole/court supervision in lieu of prison time.

I'm all for rolling back all gun laws to the 1790s, ie. none.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Well, I can kinda see why they don't wanting you packing into places like courthouses for example, but here in TN you don't "suppose" to carry on any property owned by any state, or local municiple. This includes parks and seeing how there is a park just below my house with some nice walking trails, well this is a very likely place one could be "mugged". I also have an issue with establishments that serve alcohol on premises, because lots of the better restuarants around here serve alcohol, doesn't mean I'm going in there to get drunk and shoot up the place. I want to defend myself and loved ones wherever trouble may occur.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links