Idea against false brandishing report

This is a discussion on Idea against false brandishing report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen in various threads people express fear about someone filing a false report that you brandished your gun and pointed it at them. Suppose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea against false brandishing report

Idea against false brandishing report

I've seen in various threads people express fear about someone filing a false report that you brandished your gun and pointed it at them.

Suppose you put a piece of brightly-colored reflective tape on the top of slide and on the front of the trigger guard. It seems like a defense attorney could make good use of the fact that the accuser couldn't describe that very prominent, noticeable, an usual feature about your gun that you allegedly pointed at them.

Is that being paranoid?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think that's a little paranoid personally. I don't have any fear of a false brandshing report though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Nobody can report me since they won't know that I'm carrying, so I guess it would be more of a problem for open carriers that come into contact with anti-gunners, if it was a problem at all.

Senior Moderator
    If they know I have a gun then either they got shot or almost did. Either way I would be calling the Police first.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    How are you going to prove when you put the reflective material on?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    How are you going to prove when you put the reflective material on?
    You couldn't, but if you were suddenly stopped by police because they got a "man waving a gun" call, they would disarm you and then the gun would be evidence in its current state. If you had time to tape up your gun after the incident, then you would also have had time to get out of there and/or stash the gun somewhere so that it isn't found on your person.
    Last edited by larefugee; January 9th, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fixed punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post

Is that being paranoid?

Well, since you asked....... Yep.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

You guys are great for reality checks

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Plus, they mark toy guns with highly reflective and brightly colored ends/spots... the last thing you want is a prosecuting attorney claiming you were trying to pass off your dangerous lethal weapon as a toy...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    And if you did it after the fact, and you were indeed brandishing, that is tampering with evidence.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    You guys are great for reality checks
    Really I don't think you're paranoid, in fact I like pre-emptive thinking. Pre-emptive thinking is why we have holsters.

In reading some of the many threads here I've read times where it seems like the BG who tried to rob you, but was frightened off by your actions, will make up a false police report against you. Surely a BG is capable of blabbing a tale to the police that you brandished a gun. He'll color his story against you.

Regarding the reflective tape, the BG's lawyer will likely get him to say that he was so frightened and intimidated, and with tunnel vision, could only concentrate on the end of the muzzle. He would probably testify that it was dark, he was running, he was scared for his life, he can't tell the difference between a revolver and an auto. You see my point?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I don't think it is paranoid. I think you could have photos with time -date stamp ahead of time should the need for these arise. I think it would be helpful, but no assurance that the person calling in the brandishing complaint wouldn't be able to claim he just didn't notice because things happened too fast in bad light.

TOF
    I've seen in various threads people express fear about someone filing a false report that you brandished your gun and pointed it at them.

Suppose you put a piece of brightly-colored reflective tape on the top of slide and on the front of the trigger guard. It seems like a defense attorney could make good use of the fact that the accuser couldn't describe that very prominent, noticeable, an usual feature about your gun that you allegedly pointed at them.

Is that being paranoid?
    You are paranoid but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

...Is that being paranoid?
    Yes, but so are most of the people on this forum, in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't think it is paranoid. I think you could have photos with time -date stamp ahead of time should the need for these arise. I think it would be helpful, but no assurance that the person calling in the brandishing complaint wouldn't be able to claim he just didn't notice because things happened too fast in bad light.
    You could take a picture of the firearm next to a newspaper.

If someone makes a false report, in my opinion, your screwed. No amount of forethought is going to protect you from being put through a wringer if the officers don't show restraint upon arrival. When someone lies and it is your word against theirs the LEO will usually file the complaint and go forward with it. In most jurisdictions they have no other recourse. Your gun will be gone to the evidence locker and you will be spending time in court, at your expense. This is another good reason for concealed carry, even when open carry is allowed. Your only hope in this case would be that they made the complaint somewhere that security cameras could be used as evidence for you against their claim.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links