Protection in "Prohibited Areas"

This is a discussion on Protection in "Prohibited Areas" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my first NBA game yesterday to see the Dallas Mavericks vs. New York Knicks, and the security was crazy. There were metal ...

I went to my first NBA game yesterday to see the Dallas Mavericks vs. New York Knicks, and the security was crazy. There were metal detectors at the door and multiple security guards with wands as well as security pretty much anywhere you looked . You would think I was in an airport. Being a sporting event and all I left the Sig at home (the lockbox for my truck is being delivered in a few days) as well as my tactical folder and any other toys I would like to have. Walking around in downtown Dallas "naked" made me feel very uncomfortable. I didn't see any signs or anything saying no knives or weapons, but I know they would take them when the metal detector went off. I was considering getting a Böker Ceramic Infinity for these situations. The only metal on it I can see is the screw and the blade lock, and I wouldn't think that would set off the metal detector. Anybody carry something similar when traveling through "Prohibited Areas?" Or maybe something different? Note: I am not talking about carrying this in areas such as airports.

I would think getting caught with something made to pass through metal detectors would be a huge risk.
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

Did you call to check to see if there are lockers in the security office that you may lock a firearm in and claim after the event?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I actually just use the distraction technique. I throw all my crap in the buck at once, with my knife on the bottom and really politely chat up the guy wanding me or checking the bucket. Usually they don't pay a bit of attention to whats in the bucket... He hands it to me and moves on to the next person, while I put my knife back in its pocket... If by chance it doesn't work I just say something along the lines of, "Oh crap, I meant to leave that in the car..." and walk back to my car - no big deal. Worked at the Stars game on NYE.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member
    While handguns are prohibited at professional sporting events in TX, are you sure knives are? If not I would go ahead and at least carry a knife.

To my knowledge knives aren't prohibited by law, but they will ask you to put it in your car if they catch you with it while going through security.

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by roffles View Post
    I would think getting caught with something made to pass through metal detectors would be a huge risk.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the worst would be that they would kick me out of the place. They would also probably try to confiscate my knife, which I think they could not legally do...

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Did you call to check to see if there are lockers in the security office that you may lock a firearm in and claim after the event?
    No, and I would rather not go through the hassle and I will have a lockbox for my truck in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the worst would be that they would kick me out of the place. They would also probably try to confiscate my knife, which I think they could not legally do...
    I could see security personnel having a field day as to why a person is trying to pass a weapon through obvious deterrents. Ignorant people can see this as a form of "intent".
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

Yep, so you turn around and leave. They have no legal right to detain you (or your property, but it may be better loose said ceramic knife than to deal with the headache of a call to the cops).

I was standing in line (a very long line) almost to the screener of a Carolina Hurricanes Stanley Cup game when I realized that I had a pocket knife with me. It was inexpensive and I did not want to go back to the truck. I threw it into the bucket. He said "you can not take that inside". I replied I know but I forgot about it, You can have it. He said NO, I have no use for it. I politely said I am going in to see the game. The knife is yours. Disgustedly he threw it up onto the table but he let me go in.

Bye the way the Caines made the winning goal with 31 seconds left on the clock.

Is it true across the board that you can't carry "weapons" into sports arenas? It never would have occurred to me that I couldn't bring my knife! Good to know I am going to a Celtics game in a couple weeks. I will have to look into the rules!
    ~Krockett

Sorry, I posted a comment and it was taken as a little flippant, my meaning is that I do not go to places that do not allow me to carry unless I have to. Sports facuilities are a place I do not have to go, so I avoid them. Either I am a trusted citizen or not, and being unarmed walking through downtown Dallas even when I was in Texas is not something I would willingly do without another way of doing my buisness.

On another note, about the knife itself, I would say yes, that they would say that you cannot carry it in - but I would be curious if they would secure your firearm and return it to you afterwords?

It is true in NC. No weapons, including pocket knives, in any sports arena.

Cold Steel Sharkie and a Zebra stainless steel pen at a bare min if you know you cant get a knife through

Links