Florida Greyhound Track No Carry?

This is a discussion on Florida Greyhound Track No Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you carry concealed at a Greyhound track in Florida? It looks like the track we went to last night made up there own rules. ...

Thread: Florida Greyhound Track No Carry?

Can you carry concealed at a Greyhound track in Florida? It looks like the track we went to last night made up there own rules. In the official program at the track they have the follow printed.

61D-2.007
    No Licensee shall carry or exhibit a deadly weapon other than as provided for in chapter 790, Florida Statutes. Any licensee found in violation of this rule shall be disciplined in accordance with Chapter 550, Florida Statutes and the rules promulgated thereunder. it is the policy of the Association that no person including licenses may enter the premises of the track with any weapon. This rule and association policy does not prohibit the carrying of a weapon by any duly authorized law enforcement officer or licensed security personnel engaged in their duties.

Is this something like a "No Guns Permitted Inside" sign?

Can they do this? Is alcohol served there? If so they can say this. Just some thoughts. I've never been to a greyhound track.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

You can carry in Florida if they sell alcohol, as long as your not in the bar area. They had no signs at the front door which leads me to believe that there rule is made up, and intended to scare away a legal CWP holder from carrying.

VIP Member
    I'm not from FL and my knowledge of FL law is limited. My understanding is you would be legal. If they discover you carrying all they can do is as you to leave. If you refuse they can have you arrested for trespassing. I saw nothing in the para-mutual wagering potion of the law that would prohibit you from carrying.

That is just my take on it. Remember IANAL and even if I were I wouldn't be licensed to practice in FL.

I would just honor their silly rules and no longer patronize the track. Let them know why in a professional way. If no signs at point of entry, I wouldn't have bothered to read the rules, like most out for a good time.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

By "liscensee" it reads to me like they are referring to owners, trainers etc of the dogs, not the general public. Section 790 contains the Statutes which do allow and set the terms for carry by CWL holders. Certain sporting events are no carry zones so the question there would be is grey hound racing a sporting event? I wouldn't think so but may be wrong.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Gambling, too... might qualify as a "place of nuisance"...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

No Licensee shall carry or exhibit a deadly weapon other than as provided for in chapter 790, Florida Statutes.
    As a CWL holder you are covered under chapter 790. So you can carry there but if asked to leave do so right away. This is just some scare tactic writing or they are referring to owners, trainers etc of the dogs as stated before.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    According to Florida statutes holders of a legal concealed weapons license are in violation if they are carrying a concealed weapon in the following places deemed "places of nuisance";

Title XLVI CRIMES
    Chapter 823 PUBLIC NUISANCES

823.05 Places declared a nuisance; may be abated and enjoined.--Whoever shall erect, establish, continue, or maintain, own or lease any building, booth, tent or place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community, or become manifestly injurious to the morals or manners of the people as described in s. 823.01, or shall be frequented by the class of persons mentioned in 1s. 856.02, or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated, shall be deemed guilty of maintaining a nuisance, and the building, erection, place, tent or booth and the furniture, fixtures and contents are declared a nuisance. All such places or persons shall be abated or enjoined as provided in ss. 60.05 and 60.06.

Many people will say anywhere there is games of chance is illegal. This is NOT true. The statute says any house or place where there are games of chance that VIOLATE THE LAW of the state.

Greyhound races do not violate the law of the state.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Well, further more, I wouldn't call racing a game of chance. Each dog does not have an equal chance at winning.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    A license shall not authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance, police station, detention facility, courthouse, polling place, meeting of any state, county, municipal, or special district governing body, any school, any professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, inside the sterile and passenger area of an airport, or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

My CC class instructor said that a "place of nuisance" is anything that might promote vice, ie, gambling establishment, strip club, crack house, lingerie modeling joint, adult book store, et al... I believe it is intentionally worded loosely so as to be a useful statute in a variety of circumstances....

Big gray area, if you ask me... given the parties I used to throw with copious amounts of liquor and topless women in my hot tub, my bachelor pad before I got married probably would have qualified as a "place of nuisance".
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Yes you may.

The key verbiage is "No Licensee shall carry or exhibit a deadly weapon other than as provided for in chapter 790, Florida Statutes".

As a holder of a concealed carry license, you are authorized to carry your weapon anywhere that is not specifically prohibited by statute. A legal betting establishment is not prohibited and is not considered a "place of nuisance" nor a "professional sporting event".

Enjoy........and remember, always bet on the dog that pees right before the race!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member

Thumbs up Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    As a CWL holder you are covered under chapter 790. So you can carry there but if asked to leave do so right away. This is just some scare tactic writing or they are referring to owners, trainers etc of the dogs as stated before.
    Agree. And consider:
    Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    ...Any licensee found in violation of this rule shall be disciplined in accordance with Chapter 550, Florida Statutes and the rules promulgated thereunder. it is the policy of the Association that no person including licenses may enter the premises of the track with any weapon....
    This {Title XXXIII
    REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS Chapter 550
    PARI-MUTUEL WAGERING} from Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine has to do with who is allowed to run the games and how and addresses them repeatedly as "licensees" but talks about reserving the right to exclude certain individuals from events.... One may argue that law trumps the associations "policy". Looks like you're off to the races.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstones Commentaries 145146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

A race track is certainly a place where I would want to carry.

BGs stand around the payoff windows to see who collects big winnings. Then they follow the lucky winners for the rest of the night and out into the parking lot where they are mugged.

PS. If you are a big winner, don't cash your ticket right away or even that night. Wait until another time, preferably daytime to cash your ticket.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Links