Carrying magazines

This is a discussion on Carrying magazines within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, thanks to T-Bone for recommending the little double pocket carrier for my .380 magazines. It fits nicely in my weak side back pocket, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying magazines

Carrying magazines

First off, thanks to T-Bone for recommending the little double pocket carrier for my .380 magazines. It fits nicely in my weak side back pocket, and snugs the magazines just enough to keep them from rattling around.

Now for the question...

I know the laws in particular states vary, and many aren't lawyers here, but has anyone heard of magazines (filled or not) being illegal to carry by non-permit holders?

And I mean just magazines. No gun.

I know it's silly to carry a magazine with no gun, but I figured it would be an opportunity to get used to the feel of the carrier in my pocket.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I don't think a loaded magazine would be considered a weapon. It might be considered prima facia evidence that one has a weapon, but if you are not carrying a weapon that wouldn't be the case. I'm no lawyer....I'm just thriving on common sense. I would suggest it be kept out of sight however. To me it makes little sense, but I can see where you are coming from. Personally, I'd wait until things are complete.

VIP Member
    Don't know that carrying mags would be illegal..OMO

What kind of mag carrrier is that?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm no lawyer....I'm just thriving on common sense.
    That's your mistake. Never use "Lawyers" and "common sense" in the same sentence. The two are mutually antagonistic.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Don't know that carrying mags would be illegal..OMO

What kind of mag carrrier is that?
    It can be bought at http://www.wrbusa.com/ . It's a small dual mag carrier with a rubberized (sticky) exterior, and a soft interior. Really, really nice.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    That's your mistake. Never use "Lawyers" and "common sense" in the same sentence. The two are mutually antagonistic.
    This type of comment adds nothing to the discussion.

In California, a loaded magazine only is NOT considered a firearm or loaded weapon UNLESS you are a gang member. The purpose of this type of law is to prevent one gang banger from carrying the gun and his bro carrying the magazine and thereby get around the "no loaded weapons" laws.

For those who don't know what the law is in YOUR state, why don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I like it! Unfortunatly common sense doesn't have much to do with the law.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I asked our County Attorney and she said no.

You can't expect a single correct answer to such a question. Each state is different.

In Massachusetts it's illegal for an unlicensed person to even possess EMPTY BRASS. And I don't just mean in public - even in your house. It's basically illegal to possess any ammunition components, brass, bullets, primers, etc. without proper license.

With regards to the empty mag itself, I believe that MAY be legal for an unlicensed person to possess in Mass. But if the mag hold more than 10 rounds, and if it was made after 1994, it's illegal for ANYONE to possess in Mass, even if you're licensed.

Since you're in New York, I hesitate to say anything as so many things that are legal for the rest of the nation aren't for you, but in Kansas I'm relatively sure it's not illegal. I say this because the last time I went to the courthouse to get vehicle tags, I left my handgun in the truck but had the mag in my pocket. At the metal detector at the door, the deputies held onto my little Kershaw and my loaded mag until I was on my way back out, but they didn't ask to see a license or try and arrest me.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    This type of comment adds nothing to the discussion.
    I think it does, even if it is a little smile.
    Don't be so serious, we are here also to have fun.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Administrator
    The member is asking a serious question in a forum area that is not Humor & Off Topic. Try to stay on topic to the questions posed in the original post.

Also please note that we do have members here that are lawyers and they seem to be pretty decent, valuable, and helpful pro-gun members so try not to paint them all with a broad & nasty brush.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The member is asking a serious question in a forum area that is not Humor & Off Topic. Try to stay on topic to the questions posed in the original post.

Also please note that we do have members here that are lawyers and they seem to be pretty decent, valuable, and helpful pro-gun members so try not to paint them all with a broad & nasty brush.
    Thank you. That needed to be said, and by a member who is not a lawyer.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

My wife carries an extra loaded magazine in her purse many times while we are out. Now I am in KY, not NY...so that is a big difference.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include thier own government --George Washington

In NJ ammo must be in a secured container in a vehicle when going to and from the range (can't be "readily accessible."). I don't know if it is illegal to carry just ammo on your person per se but in NJ anything firearms related is a huge no-no without a good explanation. Since you are not going to/from the range or hunting (and carry is out of the question in NJ), you aren't really considered to have a legitimate reason to have ammunition with you. If a NJ cop finds out you have a loaded magazine in your pocket, even without a firearm, you will probably get arrested, especially if you do not have a NJ FID. If the magazine has hollowpoint bullets you are in really hot water. Don't be the guy arrested near Newark Airport with "fully loaded magazines containing dozens of hollowpoint cop-killer bullets OMG!"

ETA: An empty magazine is probably OK, though. There is a really slim chance anyone is going to find out anyway, but even with the empty mag be prepared to be detained and questioned if anyone notices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links