What Can We Do to Influence Obama????

What Can We Do to Influence Obama????

This is a discussion on What Can We Do to Influence Obama???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all have been talking about it, and the time is near for the new administration to take over. We must be prepared to fight ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Can We Do to Influence Obama????

Post What Can We Do to Influence Obama????

We all have been talking about it, and the time is near for the new administration to take over. We must be prepared to fight (not with guns) his attempts to remove our basic rights. Whether it is with money to 2A friendly groups or letter writing, now is the time to up the ante. The Bradyites are going to try and capitalize on a anti-gun administration with all the have, so we must counter their ramblings. What can we do, and who can we write to. Lets get going!!!!!!!!

Obama Misfires On Concealed Carry
    INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
    Gun Control: Barack Obama says he won't take folks' guns away as long as they're hunters. But when the hunted are his constituents, well, that's different: He opposes concealed carry and the right to self-defense.

There's something about an election that brings out the sportsman in a Democratic presidential candidate. Recall John Kerry's sudden fondness for hunting four years ago.

And speaking in Idaho earlier this year, Barack Obama told the crowd, "We got a lot of hunters in the state of Illinois, and I have no intention of taking away folks' guns."

Except he does.

In a 1996 questionnaire, Obama wrote that he "supported banning the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns." He says now that the survey was filled out by an aide who misrepresented his views. Yet his record since then is consistent with that view. Never mind that Illinois and the other 49 states have a lot of two-legged predators.

Illinois resident Hale DeMar was prosecuted by the town of Wilmette for using a handgun to defend his home in 2003. Wilmette had imposed a ban on the possession of handguns, in effect making the town a gun-free zone.

To correct the situation, several Illinois state legislators introduced SB 2165 to protect the right of self-defense for residents like DeMar. Obama voted against the bill.

That self-defense bill protecting the right to bear arms for law-abiding citizens such as DeMar passed the Illinois state Senate and was enacted into law over the governor's veto (and Obama's opposition).

It's no surprise, then, that Sen. Obama has come out in opposition to concealed-carry laws. In anticipation of an April 16 debate in Philadelphia on the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, Obama told the Pittsburgh Tribune: "I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 65.7% of the U.S. population lives in the 39 right-to-carry states, and there's no indication such laws have turned our neighborhoods into the O.K. Corral. To the contrary, all the stats we've seen show a steep decline in murders and violent crimes after a state adopts a right-to-carry law.

Virginia is one of those states, but the only one who had the right to carry last April 16 was Seung-Hui Cho. He shot 32 people to death on a Virginia Tech campus that had declared itself gun-free.

One wonders if Cho would have even walked on campus with a gun if he knew his victims would be able to defend themselves. Or how the story would have been different had professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who lost his life barricading a classroom door so his students could escape, had been able to fire back.

On the subject of the total ban on gun ownership in the District of Columbia, a Second Amendment case before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Nov. 23 Chicago Tribune said Obama believes in the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional.

As pointed out by John Lott, senior research scientist at the University of Maryland, the D.C. murder rate fell three times faster than surrounding Maryland and Virginia in the five years before the 1977 ban, but rose nearly four times faster in the five years afterward. Since 1977, there has been only one year (1985) when the D.C. murder rate was lower than in 1976.

Obama's Web site says: "He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting" (emphasis ours).

Not, apparently, for you to protect your wife and children.

VIP Member
    Not only support the NRA and Second Amendment Foundation but support your own states pro 2A groups as well. Keep track of any legislation and write or call you senators and representatives to let them know how you stand on any proposed laws.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Let's keep this 2nd Admendment related and not go political so this thread can stay open.

We have to be very vocal and fight their fear with facts. Use logic and never loose your cool.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

What Can we Do About Obama????
    Not much IMO....it's already too late. I don't think the American public will have much say-so in the polls or in active government from now on. I feel a door has been shut. It's not gonna be good, and we're all going to be further suppressed by 'big brother' very shortly. Close to a dictatorship near as I can tell. I don't think our pro-2A lobbies will be able to be effective in any way any more. Dark days ahead is what I feel, even if the economy does a 180 degree turnaround, that will just be a placebo as the American public is too ready for that to happen. Behind closed doors, and in secret meetings and chambers, the spaying and neutering of the public will continue until the government rules and audits everything we do and our personal lives and choices. May God help us.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Let's keep this 2nd Admendment related and not go political so this thread can stay open.

We have to be very vocal and fight their fear with facts. Use logic and never loose your cool.
    I agree. This is not a political debate, but a discussion on how to protect the rights guaranteed us by 2A. Please lets not debate politics.

We start at the local level. Our representatives and senators that are in Washington. Write their offices and try to get their stand on handguns and why. I do not think we can take on a President directly. We need to go after the folks that are going to vote for a particular bill.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Brace for impact.. That's what.

Grassroots information campaign on what this guy and his cronies really want to do, what he has said, done and supported in the past, and such, would be good. There seems to be an unbelieveably large mass of people who actually believe him when he says he's not gonna go for gun bans.

No matter what he does or how bad it gets, if people are informed and see it coming the chance that they will be outraged and appalled is larger than mere acceptance as in the UK, Aus, NZ, etc. Gun owners marched in huge demonstrations - but that only lasted so long. Now it's all quiet, it's as complete bans on guns are the most natural of things. THAT is what needs to be prevented. If people know how things are supposed to be according to the Constitution and the fundamental rights of individuals, they will never stop being outraged. That's what stopped the AWB from being renewed. GWB would happily have signed a renewal, but it didn't happen. The legislators knew the backlash would be monumental. That's what they need to know this time around too. Whether the case is an 'assault weapons' ban, or a national ban on carry, or whatever they might cook up.

Well stated, and of course timely. The Leftwing now has control of the Congress, Senate and the Commander In Chief's seat. Unfortunately facts may not be enough God help freedom loving people everywhere. What scares me more than new legislation is a dissolving of our soverignty to the European Community and world opinion/pressure through bogus issues like Global warming and economic issues and of course our friends at the U.N.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I've given this a considerable amount of thought.

What if our illustrious leaders passed a very strict piece of gun control legislation, disallowing citizens the right to own a gun. We've seen this happen in several major cities throughout the United States. Could it happen nationwide?

What if, our government tells us that we have to turn over our guns.

I've asked myself many times: What would I do? I believe in obeying our laws. Would I stand my ground? Or would I be one of the folks standing in line to turn over my guns.

What if a brownshirt came knocking on my door one day. What would I do?

That's a tough call.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've been writing. I hate how this stupid "common sense" buzzword keeps getting attached to gun laws. You can't just call something common sense and make it so. Common sense does not mean preying on peoples fears, or going off of your own personal opinion. Common sense is based in patterns proven by fact.

Anyone know of any WA pro 2A groups? I'm already an NRA member and probably going to join GOA also.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

RamRod, normally I agree with you completely, but this last post is a bit too defeatist for me to agree with. We must never stop. That is what exemplifies the success of our opponents that wish to squash our rights. They just keep chipping away at our rights in the interest of their agenda. They become this constant irritant in the faces of the lawmakers and by way of that annoyance make themselves seem to represent the majority. Just like a little hemeroid can eclipse all the rest of the concerns of your daily life, these people persist in putting themselves before their elected officials. We must do the same, and we must do it tirelessly and constantly and without remorse or reservation. They will win if we do not. Never give up, never, ever. We owe our founding brothers and sisters more of a pay-back for the sacrifice of everthing they had than to let someone take away the liberties they secured for us.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I've given this a considerable amount of thought.

What if our illustrious leaders passed a very strict piece of gun control legislation, disallowing citizens the right to own a gun. We've seen this happen in several major cities throughout the United States. Could it happen nationwide?

What if, our government tells us that we have to turn over our guns.

I've asked myself many times: What would I do? I believe in obeying our laws. Would I stand my ground? Or would I be one of the folks standing in line to turn over my guns.

What if a brownshirt came knocking on my door one day. What would I do?

That's a tough call.

That's something I think a lot of us have thought about. It would take organization to win that one. But how do you go about organizing everyone, and when do you draw the line? When they ban semi autos? handguns? all guns? Everyone has their own breaking point.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wow...these comments sure sound familiar...over and over again. The sky is falling...what Obama believes is one thing, what can happen another. Bush was against stem cell research...but it didn't stop it.

For the Feds to buck state laws...that would be a lot of inertia to overcome. I think we need to stay engaged...but fear?? One more point...I think AWB will happen...but will be so watered down, that it will have very little impact on gun owners...but makes for great sound bites for the govt mouth pieces.

Rick

jfl
    My hope, just hope, is that the new administration will have so much on their plate from economy to Gaza to a conflict with Iran that I see happening in a very near future that the 2A issues are going to be on the back-burner.
    What needs to be done to address these problems is not going to be popular and it would not seems to be a good idea to test the American people with a country wide gun confiscation even incremental.

What can we do ?

As individuals: Not much.

As a group: depends of the size of the group. A 10 million member NRA would have a lot more clout.
    Get your friends, acquaintances,family members to join. I am trying to get a new member every month. Doesn't always work.

GOA is a good group too.
    Consider also the JPFO; you dn't have to be Jewish to be a member and they have inroads in a pretty anti group of people.

As many said here, be active in your state, town, not only belonging to local 2A organizations but also getting involved in local elections, write to your elected officials; there is a election for US Congress in less than 2 years, campaigning will start in a year or so ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Money talks in Washington. The only remaining option is to support the NRA and other 2nd amendment groups with money. Both republicans and democrats love lobbyist money.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links