Wife blew my cover...

This is a discussion on Wife blew my cover... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thought you guys/gals might appreciate this. Wife supports my CCW, but didn't want me to get it until we have our own home. She is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife blew my cover...

Wife blew my cover...

thought you guys/gals might appreciate this.

Wife supports my CCW, but didn't want me to get it until we have our own home. She is not anti-gun, just a little unfamiliar, and kinda uneasy with a gun in our small apt. She would rather not see it or know that I am carrying.

In the car on the way to a friends house for lunch, she decides to draw a pistol on his birthday card (he's an avid hunter and deacon in our church). So she pipes up, "Hey! Can you pull your gun out so I can draw it?!"

I laughed a lot, cause I never expected her to say that. (She even rolled it over to see the other side!)

So we get inside, and during lunch, she gives him the card. He laughs, and then she did the unthinkable.
    ::those present - Deacon, his wife, their two kids, a boyfriend, my Pastor, his two kids.......a large group!!::
    She proceeds to tell EVERYONE "I told him to take his gun out so i could draw it! Isn't that a good drawing!?"

Needless to say, the conversation ended 30 seconds later, no one really asking too many questions (car carry, no specifics. DID NOT tell them i was carrying at the time, just let them think it was still in the car.)
    (I wasn't mad, just frustrated.... she is very excitable)
    So, has your spouse ever blown your cover?
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Once, a long time ago. She hasnt done it since.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    no, if she does I'll blow her cover

my wife knows that the only people I want to know I'm a cop or carrying a firearms are the ones I'll tell or show the muzzle end of it

for those that have spouses that know you carry, they need to know not to talk about you having guns, licsenses, etc to anyone
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Well it is good that it happened here instead of a live incident, make sure she knows it can endanger your and her life by speaking out.

example: If you were in line in a grocery store and something goes down and she says "Honey Use Your Gun" "Stop Them" now you lost the element of surprise.

I am sure she did not mean anything bad by it, she needs to be brought up on the seriousness of it.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

thepierce

You have not impressed on your wife the importance of why you carry and why it shouldn't be common knowledge. This is important with husband/wife and children and any family member who knows you carry.

These people are a important part of your carry tactics. You just need to sit here down and have a calm and frank conversation with her...explaining to the the Concealed Carry "facts of life".

I remember as a a child the talk my father gave us as to where his weapons were and that we were NOT to discuss them with anyone. Whether it was on his person...in his car....or in our house.

The people with this knowledge are a important part of your team....don't keep them in the dark. Whether they are hands on involved or not....they need to know the "rules" and why the rules are important.

I just had to have this conversation with my 18 year old step grandson. I let him know it was not important to him to know if and where Nana was carrying her weapon and by all means it was not to be talked about in open conversation. He got the message.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My wife has never blown my cover but my son who was 3 at the time almost did. I took him to the bathroom and was in the stall with him and I had to go too so I went and I lifted my shirt up and he saw it and said "daddy you have your gun". I told him to be quiet about that and never say a word about that. Lucky for me there was no one in the bathroom at that time. The best thing is my son is now 5 and he has not said a word about it to anyone even my wife.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by thepierce View Post
    thought you guys/gals might appreciate this.

Wife supports my CCW, but didn't want me to get it until we have our own home. She is not anti-gun, just a little unfamiliar, and kinda uneasy with a gun in our small apt. She would rather not see it or know that I am carrying.

In the car on the way to a friends house for lunch, she decides to draw a pistol on his birthday card (he's an avid hunter and deacon in our church). So she pipes up, "Hey! Can you pull your gun out so I can draw it?!"

I laughed a lot, cause I never expected her to say that. (She even rolled it over to see the other side!)

So we get inside, and during lunch, she gives him the card. He laughs, and then she did the unthinkable.
    ::those present - Deacon, his wife, their two kids, a boyfriend, my Pastor, his two kids.......a large group!!::
    She proceeds to tell EVERYONE "I told him to take his gun out so i could draw it! Isn't that a good drawing!?"

Needless to say, the conversation ended 30 seconds later, no one really asking too many questions (car carry, no specifics. DID NOT tell them i was carrying at the time, just let them think it was still in the car.)
    (I wasn't mad, just frustrated.... she is very excitable)
    So, has your spouse ever blown your cover?
    Am I understanding this correctly?
    You drew your loaded firearm and laid it on the seat of a moving vehicle so you're loved one could draw a picture, right?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Just last night when we had friends over after church my wife was talking to her friend about some shopping store in a seedy area of a large town near by and our friend (the woman) said "we should go shopping with our husbands..._____(husbands name) can take his gun!" She said this with a smile but you could tell she was serious. This is when the conversation came up that he has his CPL but does not carry all the time. My wife just looked at me and smiled.
    I then asked him if he would like to go shooting sometime and when he said yes but his gun might scare me...It was at this point that I could not hold it in anymore! I asked if it would scare me more than my 45, his eyes got big..."you have a 45?" Well in addition to a few others, I answered.

Long story short- He never knew that I had been carrying every moment that he has ever seen me and was VERY suprised that I was carrying then! He said that he didn't carry more because he thought it would stick out like a sore thumb and after knowing that I carry a bigger gun than his...he now has more confidence AND I got a new shooting buddy!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post

Am I understanding this correctly?
    You drew your loaded firearm and laid it on the seat of a moving vehicle so you're loved one could draw a picture, right?
    What and you have never done that???

OK, neither have I and I didn't catch that either! I sure hope he didn't
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Once when I first started carrying the wife asked me really loudly in public, "You're not carrying your gun are you?" For some reason she didn't think I should have it on me when I went wherever we were going next. I just smiled at her and told her, "Now that's a ridiculous question, isn't it?"
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

She didn't say that she drew it while driving on the way over did she? To me it only implied that you own a gun. Around here if you don't own a gun you would be considered weird.

I had some terse words the one time my wife tried to tell me when or where I could not carry.(at least it was in private)
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Well I believe your spouse/SO should know and be able to assist in a "tactical plan " in a SHTF situation should the need arise even if they don't carry. However, it does come back to the old adage..."becareful who you tell because they might tell somebody you wouldn't.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sorry, man... That's a tough one. BTDT. I found a way to be convincing. I hope you do, too.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

BJC
    My wife and I travel a lot together and we've discussed concealed carry and different things about firearms many times. When I first got my license, she came close a few times to saying something at the wrong time. Recently, while walking through a store she asked "Do you have your gun?" in a voice a little louder than a whisper. I just turned and gave her one of "the looks". She didn't ask for clarification. Later, I explained again that we don't discuss that in public. She'll be taking her CC class in about two months. I figure with her having her revolver on her - that'll probably keep her quiet.

An incredibly immature thing for her to do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links