Jumping throug hoops to get my license...

This is a discussion on Jumping throug hoops to get my license... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I thought it would be relatively simply to get my CCW in Tuscaloosa, AL. However I was a little off. Apparently since I'm a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping throug hoops to get my license...

Jumping throug hoops to get my license...

Well, I thought it would be relatively simply to get my CCW in Tuscaloosa, AL. However I was a little off. Apparently since I'm a student at the University of Alabama, I have to go to the university police office and get some sort of approval from them first.

I dropped my application off at the Sheriff's last Monday, I was told to come pick it up in 7 days(would have been nice to know then about the University approval). So I go down there today and everything was looking good, then she asked if I was a student at the university. My gut told me to say no, but I figured telling a lie could somehow bring trouble. So then she tells me to take a form down to the university police and have them okay me (she said it should take 15 min). A little hassle, but no biggie. I finally walk to the police dept. and they tell me that I have to meet with the chief to discuss university policy and he only meets Tues. @ 9AM and Wed. @ 1PM. So now I have to go BACK to the university police, do their song and dance, go BACK to the sheriff's office and HOPEFULLY get the permit this time.

The best part is, I'm pretty sure what the chief of University Police is going to say. "No guns allowed on university property whether in a vehicle or on your person." Why they can't have that on a sheet of paper I read and sign, makes no sense. But then again it's a government system.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Why Alabama is so bad when it comes to CCW is still a mystery to me. I thought the South was supposed to be the land of independence, not the land of get the approval of 20 officials before you do anything
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Why Alabama is so bad when it comes to CCW is still a mystery to me. I thought the South was supposed to be the land of independence, not the land of get the approval of 20 officials before you do anything
    My thoughts EXACTLY...apparently if I wasn't a student it wouldn't be a problem. I understand that they want me to be aware of the university laws, but I can't figure out why this has to be done in person, that makes it so inconvenient.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    ...but I can't figure out why this has to be done in person, that makes it so inconvenient.
    Re-read your statement, therein lies your answer. It's inconvenient. In the minds of the anti's, if they prevent ONE person from carrying (not breaking the law, not attacking someone, but exercising their Constitutional right), then it is worth inconveniencing as many of those dreaded persistent gun toters as required. In fact, it's worth inconveniencing them anyway. Just for spite. But they're really hoping you'll just forget it, for the bother of it all.

Hey, gotta watch those college students. Never know when a bunch of them will go on crime sprees....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Is Tuscaloosa your permenat address? Is this were you are registored to vote?

The reason I ask is that you can go to the county that you are registored to vote in and get your CCW. It might be easier than going through the University.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Is Tuscaloosa your permenat address? Is this were you are registored to vote?

The reason I ask is that you can go to the county that you are registored to vote in and get your CCW. It might be easier than going through the University.
    yeah, this is where I live. Hopefully all I have to do is meet with this guy @ 9AM tomorrow then go to the Sheriff's office and pick it up. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That doesn't makes sense. Why would you need approval from your university to carry when you're not at school? The university should have no impact of your rights outside of their campus.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    That doesn't makes sense. Why would you need approval from your university to carry when you're not at school? The university should have no impact of your rights outside of their campus.
    yeah, I mean, I suppose I might could see the University wanting to know who has a license. Although really, I don't even know why they need to know that. The less people that know I'm carrying the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Re-read your statement, therein lies your answer. It's inconvenient. In the minds of the anti's, if they prevent ONE person from carrying (not breaking the law, not attacking someone, but exercising their Constitutional right), then it is worth inconveniencing as many of those dreaded persistent gun toters as required. In fact, it's worth inconveniencing them anyway. Just for spite. But they're really hoping you'll just forget it, for the bother of it all.

Hey, gotta watch those college students. Never know when a bunch of them will go on crime sprees....
    There have been studies done that say most street criminals do not even have the capacity to read and/or understand the method and forms to get a legal CCW license.

So yeah, the anti-gun crowd feel this process will keep criminals from buying guns legally. And fact is they are 100% correct.

Problem is, criminals DO NOT BUY GUNS LEGALLY! So the reality of all this garbage is that the anti-gun crowd only inconveniences the legal gun buyer.

While I was waiting the 6-months for my NY permit to be granted, there were 17 people shot dead in Syracuse, NY (23 for the year total). Not on of which was done with a legally owned firearm.

I read somewhere that only like 1-3% of handgun crimes were done with legally purchased guns, by the purchasing owner. In other words stolen handguns, or illegally purchased ones are responsible for 97% of all handgun crimes. Now that stat was from a few years ago but I'm sure it still stands close to that.

i agree its not any of their buisness and i dont see how the county would care. good luck though. and if you see a tall guy with a beard working on elevators thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    i agree its not any of their buisness and i dont see how the county would care. good luck though. and if you see a tall guy with a beard working on elevators thats me.
    hehehe...I'll keep my eye out for you
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

They are from the government and they are there to help you!

The cops wanta know who to run to for protection
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Or, you could go to the University of Utah, where it is against the law for the school to ban CCW on campus.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    The University has no bearing as far as I know but your in AL so its a whole different story wish you luck in your quest.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links