New Gun Owner - New CCW Permit

This is a discussion on New Gun Owner - New CCW Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new gun owner. My wife and I purchased our first firearms just last week. She has a Smith & Wesson 617 k22 revolver ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gun Owner - New CCW Permit

New Gun Owner - New CCW Permit

I'm a new gun owner. My wife and I purchased our first firearms just last week. She has a Smith & Wesson 617 k22 revolver and I have a Springfield XDm 9. Before last week, I hadn't handled a firearm since the BB gun I had when I was in my early teens (late twenties now). Our reason for purchase was originally home defense, but we've both discovered we really enjoy going to the range.

I know a lot of you have probably been around guns since childhood. My question is more geared towards those of you who were introduced to firearms as adults. The guy at the store where we purchased recommended that we get our carry permits, just so there's no problems going to or from the range. After reading these and other forums, the idea of carrying on a regular basis is starting sounding more logical than ever. I decided to go ahead and get it, so off to the sheriff's office today and within 15 minutes I had my permit in hand. So now I'm sitting here with a concealed carry permit and no idea *when* to start carrying.

I've only been to the range a few times (an hour drive away). I plan on joining a local sportsman's association so I have access to a closer range. My wife and I and our 7 year old son are going to be taking a basic pistol training class early next month. I know at this point I am nowhere near comfortable enough to carry a loaded firearm around with me. Since no classes were required to get the permit, I'm not sure what I need to learn before it would be a good idea to start carrying.

So what would be a good plan of action? Should I avoid carrying until I'm a better shot and have more training? Should I start carrying immediately and try to get as much practice and training in as quickly as possible? Any advice is appreciated!

I apologize if this post is misplaced or something similar has been posted before. I searched and couldn't find anything.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the new purchase and CCW. Wow, and I thought it was easy to get a permit in Arizona. 15 minutes???:)

I think it would be a good idea to get VERY acquainted with your gun, it's function, and safe handling. Since it's been awhile, I'd suggest taking a basic handgun safety course which I'm sure your range would offer.

While I'm sure most, if not all, would say carry at all times unless the law dictates otherwise, I wouldn't do so unless you're SAFE CCW'er. Otherwise, your just a menace to yourself and others. Good luck and be safe!
    HK45c V1

I would keep it locked and unloaded except when at the range until you recieve the basic training and make sure you know how to hit what is threatening you.

15 min.

...don't you just love PA!

In your case I would take your NRA basic class, then practice, practice, practice. Paying more attention to safe gun handling than outright marksmanship at first. The accuracy will come. Gun handling however, will seek to evade you at all costs! lol..

Also, learn as much of the legal do's and dont's as humanly possible.

Start carrying when YOU are comfortable with yourself carrying around your 19+ of 9mm persuasion. (I assume you want to carry your XDm?)

good for you! BTW
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    First, Welcome to the Forum!

Second, way to go, being level headed and responsible enough to realize you need training and to seek the knowledge you need to carry safely. You've got the proper attitude there, that in itself will go a long way.

When to begin carrying? When you can safely do so without presenting undue hazard to yourself and others. The timing of this will vary with the individual.

You've already signed up for the basic course (too bad it couldn't be sooner, but Rome wasn't built in a day either). I'd suggest first getting an understanding of basic firearms safety RULES, think about and apply them. This thread here is as good a place to start as any.

Forget everything you've ever seen on television with respect to guns. Tactics, how to hold them, how to safely handle them, 99% of what you've seen on television is incorrect.

Next, read a lot. Probably already are. You probably found this Forum because you were doing research on the subject.

Believe maybe half of what you read (books, magazine articles and to an extent, internet material-though be especially careful what you believe from the net). The more you read, the more you'll see sort of a "consensus" develop among some you are reading. These folks have a higher percentage chance of being correct. Seek out and read more from these authors.

Strongly recommend one book, "In The Gravest Extreme" by Masaad Ayoob. It deals real world with the specifics and aftermath, legal, emotional and otherwise of carrying firearms, and using deadly force. I feel it should be read by everyone who carries or owns a gun for self defense. Great text.

Next, once you know and are developing good safety habits, including proper muzzle discipline, it is time to hit the range. Get there as often as possible, and put lots of rounds down range. Get comfortable firing your weapon. Pinpoint accuracy is not required, experience is what you are gaining. Try to make it a goal to fire a hundred rounds a week or so if your are able (more if you can). Whatever you can do.

At some point, you will decide you are ready to carry. This could be very soon. I suspect you're a fast learner (intelligent enough to seek out knowledge, definite sign of a learner!).

The knowledge never ends. That's what a lot of us are doing here, still learning. And many of us have carried for decades. It's not a destination, it's a journey. It's a way of life. Welcome to our way of life!
    Last edited by T Bone; January 13th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Make sure you are comfortable with your gun. Know how it operates, what to do if it jams, etc.. Get a basic handgun course and practice, practice, practice. Your gun is a tool that is no good if you can't use it properly. Otherwise congratulations.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

The very FIRST thing you should do, if you haven't already is buy some sort of a safe to store your gun in until you feel you are ready to carry it full time. You can get them that are small enough for one gun, or large enough to hold both your wife's and your gun. This will help to keep your son safe.

As soon as you are able take the basic training course you have planned the better. Then get more training. The more you train the more comfortable you will be with your gun.

While your waiting for you class read everything you can find on gun safety. Not just here (there is a lot of good info here) but other websites as well.
    Have your wife check out these links, very good info for women (good info for men as well):

Cornered Cat

The next link is to one of the Moderators homepage (Limatunes)
    Welcome

Again welcome to the forum, you'll find the people here are willing to help any way we can.

I live just a bit north of you in Carnegie.

My aol instant messenger is bbecker1983 and add @gmail.com for emailing me. I can help ya out and it would be great to hang out with another gun owner.

Me and my friend are going to the Greensburgh Gun show this saturday. I forsee him joining the ranks in a bit.

Peace Out

Bobby

EDIT: Been shooting guns since I was 11 and CCW since January 23rd, 2008.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

WOW, I thought that Oklahoma's permit was easy to get with only an 8 hour class including range time and having to show proficiency at the range.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Wow 15 minutes! I think PA is great! Congrats and welcome . Be patient and Safe. God speed.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

This may have been written by others but please note this warning. Having a gun for protection is a fantastic idea. However, you must be prepared for the time that you are forced to use it. If you hesitate, the gun is taken from you and used against you. Are you aware that you shoot for center of mass? After you take a shot, are you prepared for what happens next? How do you protect yourself against prosecution after the shot?

All of these things are taught in many gun self defense courses. In Texas, you must take one of these courses and pass a background check to carry. It now takes about 5 months to get a permit to carry in Texas.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Congratulations....I'm new to carrying as well and this forum is an amazing place to get help and idea, as I'm sure you already know
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would get to know my weapon in and out before I started to carry.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I think in addition to some of the good advice above you should also practice dry fire as well as carry around the house. This will help your nerves so that once carrying in public you will be more comfortable with the thought of the gun at your side.

Check out youtube.com as well as pistol-training.com for some good tips on safety, grip, stance, sight picture and the like...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Welcome from Westmoreland County, PA neighbor!

I do love the Keystone state, so long as our politicians remember our constitution states "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

Good judgment on your part, so far, and good advice all around. I'd only add that some useful reading to tune your head...your most effective weapon. A few suggestions are:
    • "In The Gravest Extreme" by Masad Ayoob
    • "The Concealed Handgun Manual" by Chris Bird
    • "Principals of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper

Be safe and practice lots!
    Still Clingin'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links