Is 42 Rounds Of .45 Too Much...?

Is 42 Rounds Of .45 Too Much...?

This is a discussion on Is 42 Rounds Of .45 Too Much...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...to conceal carry for self defense? (or any size round for that matter). I just bought my FNP-45 and she came with 3-14 round mags. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is 42 Rounds Of .45 Too Much...?

Question Is 42 Rounds Of .45 Too Much...?

...to conceal carry for self defense? (or any size round for that matter).

I just bought my FNP-45 and she came with 3-14 round mags. I am ready to do the final ok on my carry rig ( Little Bear Custom Holsters ) and that rig will have a Mag Sheath and right now the plan is to make it a x2. The funny part of this is, my main reason for the x2 Sheath was to counterbalance my left side for my right side carry the pistol, not to have the extra Mags/rounds.

I know you can never have to much ammo/mags on hand, if for anything what if two shots are needed and your 1st shot needed to be cleared because of a FTF, eject and so on.

Just wondering what if SHTF and I win (2 shots fired, not 42, I even can see the problem if I unloaded 42 rounds and was still alive to talk about it), what will the LEO/District Attorney think about someone with so many rounds on their person. Will someone think you were just looking for trouble or would they think nothing of it? I know hard to tell what someone else would think, but maybe we have LEO/Lawyers that will give their thoughts on this subject here.

Short answer = No

I think you should carry as much ammo as you feel comfortable carrying. For me thats 25 rounds. 2 x 12rd mags and one in the pipe. I probably will keep an extra mag in the van though but on me its 25 rounds.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Seems like it may be a bit too much too me. However,if it makes you feel better---go for it.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    When I'm carrying my Glock 19 in 9mm in the shoulder holster, I have an even 50 rounds (15+1, 17, 17). Keeps it balanced.

When I'm carrying on the belt, I have only 1 backup mag, because I carry it directly behind my cell phone weak side.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

It does not matter, point out to the DA that the average LEO is carring about 45rounds, on a normal load. Most all LE departments carry two spare mags. A lot depends on where you live, I have listened to DA's on the national news getting bent out of shape because the GG had hollow points in his firearm or he was carring a 10mm which is way to powerful. Most places it ain't nutting.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I see no problem with carrying that number of rounds.
    For God, Family and Country!

as long as your pants don't fall down.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    3-14 round mags ...what will the LEO/District Attorney think ...?
    What you're prepared for and what you do with the tools you've got are two different things, no matter what potential leverage points the DA attempts to use.

Reality is: you're carrying a lethal weapon. The only real issue is going to be whether the attack on you was criminal, and whether your response was justified. If each shot was, then that's the main thing. It's not as though you're going to terminate the threat at shot #4 and then proceed to empty, reload, empty, reload, empty your magazines until he's well and truly dead. Not unless you, yourself, are criminal in your actions. So, sleep well at night, since many folks carry a backup and spare mags for that one as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As stated before, most LEOs carry two spare mags. I would pay more attention to what is in the mags. Is it "Super Killer Bloody Mess Bullets" or HydaShock (or similar) like what the LEOs carry. The prosecuting attorney will have a field day with the wrog ammo, it paints a picture of a vigilante. This is why I don't handload my own protection ammo, it paints a picture of the Charles Bronson type.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    ...to conceal carry for self defense? (or any size round for that matter).

I just bought my FNP-45 and she came with 3-14 round mags. I am ready to do the final ok on my carry rig ( Little Bear Custom Holsters ) and that rig will have a Mag Sheath and right now the plan is to make it a x2. The funny part of this is, my main reason for the x2 Sheath was to counterbalance my left side for my right side carry the pistol, not to have the extra Mags/rounds.

I know you can never have to much ammo/mags on hand, if for anything what if two shots are needed and your 1st shot needed to be cleared because of a FTF, eject and so on.

Just wondering what if SHTF and I win (2 shots fired, not 42, I even can see the problem if I unloaded 42 rounds and was still alive to talk about it), what will the LEO/District Attorney think about someone with so many rounds on their person. Will someone think you were just looking for trouble or would they think nothing of it? I know hard to tell what someone else would think, but maybe we have LEO/Lawyers that will give their thoughts on this subject here.
    If you don't SHOOT 42 times, I don't see a problem.

If it's a good shoot and you were carrying legally, AND they want to indict you because you CARRIED 42 rounds, they'd try to indict you if the ONLY round you carried was the one in the chamber.

Anything's possible, but any defense attorney with two braincells to rub together is going to call a bailiff and or a deputy in front of the jury and have him show how many rounds THEY carry.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I usually like to carry two spare magazines with any semi-auto pistol I carry. I carry 40 rounds of .45 ACP for my XD45, and while some say that is overkill for a civilian, you also have to take into account the possibility of multiple BGs. LEOs carry spare ammo, and so should you!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    It does not matter, point out to the DA that the average LEO is carring about 45rounds, on a normal load. Most all LE departments carry two spare mags. ...
    The CCW carrier is not a LEO so using them as the basis for any type of comparison for justification to the DA is absurd. Their threat level is far greater than the normal citizen so it would make sense if they have more magazines. They also don't have a choice. The department tells them what they have to carry. I think they also carry a lot more than are necessary. Most LEO's would be just as well, probably better, served by the 18 rounds of .357 they all carried 20 years ago. Even that is 18 rounds more than most of them ever need. The vast majority of LEO's go their whole career without firing a shot in the line of duty.

Personally I think 45 rounds of ACP is a little, ok a lot, overkill unless you have a job that requires you to carry a lot of valuables or you live in a really, really bad neighborhood.

Pistol and one extra mag should be fine. If it's a reliable pistol skip the extra mag. There are a lot of CCW carriers walking around with a 5 shot snub nose revolver. A lot of off-duty police too, which in this case tells you what they personally perceive the threat level to be. Even for someone who spends all day making enemies of the local bad guys.

I suggest reading through the online archive of Armed Citizen articles at American Rifleman. At least in the last 6 years I don't recall any incident where the citizen had to use anything more than a fraction of the 45 rounds you are carrying.

That's also a lot of weight to lug around every day but it's your back so carry what you're comfortable with. If you want to load up a Radio Flyer wagon with magazines and haul it around behind you go for it.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

I honestly don't know what you mean by "too much".

It's more than I feel the need to carry and more than I could comfortably carry (42 rounds of .45 will weigh in at about 2 lbs), but as has been said before, after a gunfight, I don't think anyone has ever said, "geesh, I wish I hadn't had all that extra ammo"!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

As long as you're not planning to unload it all on one person, I don't see a problem. It honestly seems like overkill to me, but I don't even carry yet.
    Inter arma enim silent leges
    "For among times of arms, the laws fall mute"

Well, it depends on where you work, who you work for, and what your preparing for.

In a confrontation the average citizen is never going to need more than 5-6 rounds.

If youre in law enforcement or you work as some sort of security, or you work in a dangerous field, then Id keep a couple extra magazines on me.

Otherwise, the extra weight and trying to keep your pants up, after time will get annoying, and the more gear you carry the harder it is to keep concealed.

For me, I carry a G26 and I keep an extra G18 30 shot magazine in the Jeep. I figure if I do my part the first 11 rounds in the G26 should handle any issue, and I should not need the extra 30 rounds. But it does make me feel good to know they are there.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links