Defensive Carry banner

Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  AlongcameJones 
#1 ·
Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas
TSRA
The Texas Legislature has convened in its 2009 Regular Session. Tuesday, January 13. State Representative Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) pre-filed House Bill 267, legislation allowing Texans to purchase rifles and shotguns in non-contiguous states. Currently, federal law allows the interstate sales of such firearms, but a conflicting Texas law only allows residents to buy long guns in the neighboring states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. This state law has prevented the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) from approving sales of rifles and shotguns in 45 other states to Texas residents.

Another pro-gun bill, pre-filed is HB 410 by State Representative Carl Isett (R-Lubbock). This legislation repeals the requirement that when stopped by law enforcement a Texas concealed handgun licensees display their license when carrying their handgun. Under current law failure to display the license when carrying a handgun may lead to the license being suspended for 90 days and/or the person charged with a class A or a class B misdemeanor. Law enforcement is made aware of the status of the concealed handgun licensee during the wants and warrants check. Technology has made the old law unnecessary and a potential hardship for licensees. Support HB 410 by Isett!

Please contact your State Representatives and politely ask them to sign on as co-authors to HB 267 and HB 410. Updated contact information for returning and newly elected House members can be found next week at www.house.state.tx.us. More

See less See more
#3 ·
Good news about not having to notify the LEOs when stopped. I hope it passes.

#6 ·
That's some good news. I kinda want to move back to TX. Miss visiting the stockyards and the fair and the dallas cowboys and everything else...WA gun laws are pretty similar though, if not more relaxed since you can OC also

#9 ·
Texas is on the right track! Way to to go texas

#11 ·
The requirement to show the license no longer makes sense because others who are carrying in their car but not licensed are not required to show or tell.

#12 ·
Way to go Texas! I didn't think it matters much. But after carrying for about a year now, I find it would be awkward to have to notify police each time. I haven't been stopped in a traffic stop yet, but I had informal encounters with law enforcement (e.g. after calling them to check out some drug dealers). It would be odd to have to start the conversation with identifying that I am armed.

#13 ·
Texas is hooking it up!

Maybe someday Texas will become the 3rd state in the Union to require no permit to carry open or concealed much like Alaska and Vermont!

#15 ·
The out of state sales thing would be a good plus for them to pass. The requirement to show CHL when asked for ID from a LEO really doesn't make any difference to me, since even if it weren't the law I would still show them my CHL out of courtesy to the LEO. I would much rather them know I have a gun then to be surprised by one sometime during the interaction.

Oh, and I doubt that Texas will be the next state to allow open carry. Remember Wisconsin already allows that. I would rather not trade places with the WI laws.

#16 ·
... Law enforcement is made aware of the status of the concealed handgun licensee during the wants and warrants check. Technology has made the old law unnecessary and a potential hardship for licensees...
Sounds like you are on a list. Right up there with the felons, fugitives and child molesters.

Colorado has that list, we are not supposed to be on it, it is illegal, but it exists.

#17 ·
It's attached to our DL info - just like any other pertinent info for LEO's in every other state... That's why they computerized the DL system in the first place - the only way to avoid it is to not have a DL or CHL and just do everything illegaly... which would be... illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.