Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas

This is a discussion on Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas TSRA The Texas Legislature has convened in its 2009 Regular Session. Tuesday, January 13. State Representative Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) pre-filed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Gun Bills Pre-Filed in Texas

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

TSRA
    The Texas Legislature has convened in its 2009 Regular Session. Tuesday, January 13. State Representative Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) pre-filed House Bill 267, legislation allowing Texans to purchase rifles and shotguns in non-contiguous states. Currently, federal law allows the interstate sales of such firearms, but a conflicting Texas law only allows residents to buy long guns in the neighboring states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. This state law has prevented the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) from approving sales of rifles and shotguns in 45 other states to Texas residents.

Another pro-gun bill, pre-filed is HB 410 by State Representative Carl Isett (R-Lubbock). This legislation repeals the requirement that when stopped by law enforcement a Texas concealed handgun licensees display their license when carrying their handgun. Under current law failure to display the license when carrying a handgun may lead to the license being suspended for 90 days and/or the person charged with a class A or a class B misdemeanor. Law enforcement is made aware of the status of the concealed handgun licensee during the wants and warrants check. Technology has made the old law unnecessary and a potential hardship for licensees. Support HB 410 by Isett!

Please contact your State Representatives and politely ask them to sign on as co-authors to HB 267 and HB 410. Updated contact information for returning and newly elected House members can be found next week at www.house.state.tx.us. More
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Way to go, Texas !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Good news about not having to notify the LEOs when stopped. I hope it passes.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Good news about not having to notify the LEOs when stopped. I hope it passes.
    +1

Florida is already that way.

Well goody for Florida LOL

Seriously, I could see me moving to Texas. That is under the right circumstances.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That's some good news. I kinda want to move back to TX. Miss visiting the stockyards and the fair and the dallas cowboys and everything else...WA gun laws are pretty similar though, if not more relaxed since you can OC also
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Any action ref. open carry this go-round?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I'm waiting for the carry on campus bill to get filed... that's the one I'm excited about... though both of these would be good things.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Texas is on the right track! Way to to go texas
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I'm waiting for the carry on campus bill to get filed... that's the one I'm excited about... though both of these would be good things.
    Is this a possibility this session?
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

VIP Member
    The requirement to show the license no longer makes sense because others who are carrying in their car but not licensed are not required to show or tell.

Way to go Texas! I didn't think it matters much. But after carrying for about a year now, I find it would be awkward to have to notify police each time. I haven't been stopped in a traffic stop yet, but I had informal encounters with law enforcement (e.g. after calling them to check out some drug dealers). It would be odd to have to start the conversation with identifying that I am armed.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Texas is hooking it up!

Maybe someday Texas will become the 3rd state in the Union to require no permit to carry open or concealed much like Alaska and Vermont!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockstock View Post
    Is this a possibility this session?
    It's supposed to be. I can't remember who was going to introduce it - Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (or whatever their organization is called) was working with someone on it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

The out of state sales thing would be a good plus for them to pass. The requirement to show CHL when asked for ID from a LEO really doesn't make any difference to me, since even if it weren't the law I would still show them my CHL out of courtesy to the LEO. I would much rather them know I have a gun then to be surprised by one sometime during the interaction.

Oh, and I doubt that Texas will be the next state to allow open carry. Remember Wisconsin already allows that. I would rather not trade places with the WI laws.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links