Defensive Carry banner

Man Accidentally Shoots Toilet After Gun in His Pants Goes Off

8K views 72 replies 60 participants last post by  jframe38 
#1 ·
Wednesday, January 14, 2009

CENTERVILLE, Utah — The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse.

Police say a man's gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the bathroom at a Carl's Jr. restaurant Tuesday. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.

A few shards of porcelain cut the man's arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.

Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old man's firearm while they review the incident. The man had a concealed weapons permit. No charges are being filed.

#5 ·
I saw this elsewhere and it was reported that the gun was a Kahr P40. The firing pin block in that gun makes it extremely unlikely that the weapon discharged as a result of having been dropped as claimed.

#8 ·
It would be interesting to know the make of the gun.
Other than that, all I can say is:

Bad Toilet -- Bad

Hoss

#9 ·
I did have a RIA 1911 45 compact that ND while it dropped on the barrel from about 3 ft high,but it hit straight on the barrel not on it's side etc.

#10 ·
:twak: Bet he was embarrassed, just took a crap and crapped his pants anyway! :twak:

Also wondering what kind of weapon it is, and yes a properly working weapon should not go off by being dropped. Of course not many do a drop check on their weapons that I'm aware of.

#11 ·
I think that the guys story is full of crap and he shot the crapper because he felt crappy

#12 ·
My theory

Guns don't go bang when dropped, absent some catastrophic mechanical failure.

It looks to me like he was screwing around with it in the comode and shot right down between his legs, through a little of the water and out the front at an angle.

Since there's no real casualty here besides the toilet, I doubt they'll investigate much, but I bet if they reassembled that jigsaw puzzle, they'd find the bullet went right were I said it did.

Stupid, dolt just made himelf a bullet point for the Brady Bunch.

#14 ·
Guns don't go bang when dropped, absent some catastrophic mechanical failure.

It looks to me like he was screwing around with it in the comode and shot right down between his legs, through a little of the water and out the front at an angle.

Since there's no real casualty here besides the toilet, I doubt they'll investigate much, but I bet if they reassembled that jigsaw puzzle, they'd find the bullet went right were I said it did.

Stupid, dolt just made himelf a bullet point for the Brady Bunch.
If that's true the ballistiv evidence will either prove it or disprove it,you can tell which direction the shot came from,the floor up or from higher up and downward,You should never play with your gun in a public restroom it could prematurely go off

#13 ·
He's lucky that's all he shot.

#33 ·
I would be more interested in what holster he was carrying in when the incident happened. None of my holters have that poor of retention!
Well, I have had the expiriance of the pistol leaving holster while pulling up pants --- thank God without the rest of the story!! I was carrying in a cheap Uncle Mikes (Flame away!!). The holster tip downward and gun hit floor; as some one else said if I had not already done it I would have donw it right after I said it!! The gun was a Ruger p89. I think I had been carrying for about three weeks at the time!!

I think the Highnoon I bought for the 111 pro I bought two weeks ago will do a better job of retention and I will in a month or two be ordering on for the P89!!

#18 ·
I agree with Mountain Packer, and it falls in with the advice I provide: Don't mess with your gun! Even if you're bored on the toilet!

Odds are he was messing with it and it slipped a little, so he 'caught it' or tightened his grip on it. Odds are pretty slim that a Kahr would fire from slipping out of a holster, and even less so that it would rotate in such a way as to strike the FRONT of the john, as the picture shows it was hit.

Just glad no one was hurt, hope he learned a lesson, and that he gets his hearing back sometime soon. Oh, and that he gets a constant barrage of 'crapper' jokes for the next few years to keep reminding him about basic safety.

#21 ·
Sitting on the john, fondling his weapon because there's nothing to read. Slips from hands, drops between legs into the bowl. Grabs pistol out quickly pulling trigger. The way I see it happening.

#22 ·
I thought these guns don't fire when dropped ??? My gun fell out of the holster when using the john, thank goodness it did not fire.

#23 ·
He was doing one of two things not restroom duty related...LMAO:danceban:
He was either fooling around with his firearm bored and it went offwhen he drpped or had "booger hook on the bang switch" or he laid the gun inside his pants when he pulled them down and went to return it to the holster when he was leaving and dropped and/or gripped it wrong and "booger hooked the bang switch". Either way I'm sure there are plenty of antis out there shakin their heads and pointing judgmental fingers.:boese51:

#24 ·
I almost had a similar situation happen to me. I had however taken my ruger p95 out of the holster and sat it on top of tp dispenser so anyone coming in restroom could not see it. :embarassed:You will have to use your imagination a little no matter how hard it is to picture it. Anyway as I was finishing up the gun fell from vibration of removing tp from dispenser. Gun hits floor and scares me to death!:twak::twak: Immediately:twak::twak:, I realized It was to late:embarassed:. To my advantage there was no one in Restroom and it did not go off. I don t know about you but everytime some says there is a recall on a gun because it failed the DROP TEST, I send mine in.

#28 ·
grabbing my megaphone...

"...AND he FUMBLES the CATCH!"

#32 ·
For all those who think guns can't fire when dropped, I think you put too much faith in mechanical devices. Yes, modern guns are very safe and the various drop safety's are effective, but they are still mechanical devices subject to the laws of nature (Newton and the like). Take note of the trigger recalls that occur because of this very issue.

Do I think he dropped it or "accidentally" pulled the trigger? I dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.