I had to draw on someone today

This is a discussion on I had to draw on someone today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hoped this would never happen but, today it did. A day just like any other. Nothing special. As I type this I am getting ...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I had to draw on someone today

I had to draw on someone today

I hoped this would never happen but, today it did. A day just like any other. Nothing special. As I type this I am getting a little case of the shakes again just reliving it in my mind.

At lunch today, I went to the Sam's Club on Getwell near I-240. (Those of you familiar with Memphis Tennessee (Citizen 510) will know the area. It is not the greatest)

As I drove into the parking lot, there was a Memphis Police cruiser sitting in the lot. I found out later he was doing paper work.

I went inside and purchased 2 items. Walked out and got into my Jeep Cherokee. I drove across the lot to the Sam's gas station to fill up. As I was filling up I saw a young, thug-ish looking type of guy (puffy coat hanging below the shoulders, shaved head on the sides and back but short dread locks on top, cigarette hanging out of hius mouth, pants 3 sizes too large and a definite thug walk) walking directly toward me from the McDonalds parking lot in front of the Sam's. I looked around and behind me to make sure no one was approaching me from behind or the sides. No one was in sight and nothing that any one could hide behind was near so I felt he was probably alone.

As he got to the gas pumping area and about 4 or 5 feet from the front of my Jeep, I was at the rear where the gas tank door is, I told him to stop in a loud but not rude voice. I also stepped partly behind the rear of my vehicle just to put it more between us. I asked him what he wanted. He asked for a lite. I told him I did not smoke and had no lighter. He then asked if he could use the lighter in the car and took a step or two toward the drivers door and started to reach for the handle. (it was locked) and I again, in a louder voice told him to stop and to step back.

He then launched into a yelling tirade calling me a punk and several other more colorful names. He then said, and I quote "I got something for you!" and reached with his right hand to his 4 0'clock position under his coat.

I was already in condition red and when he reached alarm bells were going off in my head like crazy. I honestly do not remember drawing my Glock but suddenly it was in my hand and pointed at this moron. He did not wait around to find out what might happen next, he turned directly away from me and ran away back towards Getwell.

I re-holstered and dialed 911 as fast as my shaking hands could and the cruiser that had been there when I entered the lot was still there and got to me in what seemed like seconds.

The officer took a description and radioed to another unit his direction and description. He asked me where my gun was, to see my DL and carry permit. He ran me and gave me my DL and permit back.

At no time did he ask me to disarm, try to disarm me or in any way act as though he disapproved of me carrying. In fact he said it was good that I had the gun.

About 15 minutes after he got there, another cruiser showed up with the moron in the back seat. He was about 3 blocks over when the other police officer found him. He did not have a weapon on him when the officer picked him up.

But, what he did have was a bag of weed and several warrants. So, I filled out a statement about the incident I was involved in, gave then my contact info and after about an hour (and a phone call from my boss wondering if I was coming back to work that day) I was on my way back to work.

So, it was a normal day that turned into an adrenalin filled lunch hour that I could have done without and almost ended with a gun fight I am very happy did not happen.

Anyone see anything I could have done better next time? And I really, really hope there is no next time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nothing you could have done. Maybe retreat toward the cruiser instead of draw--which here you would have been illegal because he didn't have a weapon.

But, there is a clue in what you wrote. "(Those of you familiar with Memphis Tennessee (Citizen 510) will know the area. It is not the greatest)"

Avoid bad areas when possible.

First read through and I think you did great!

Helped catch a BG, got your errands done, got to experience an adrenalin dump that is hard to replicate, and got home safe!

Take a break - you deserve it!
    baren and mano3 like this.

I'm glad that you're safe and no shots were fired. Even better that the BG got caught.

Can't see how you could have done anything different, or better. You saw the approach, went to condition orange, checked for other BG's around you and were able to draw in time to defend yourself. Thankfully I have never been in such a situation but I hope I would have performed as well as you did.

One question I have for you (and you may not be able to answer) is how close were you to pulling the trigger? Were you waiting for an actual weapon to appear or did the BG turn tail and run before it got to that point?

Good job.

Your preparation and homework paid off. That punk could have been getting ready to execute you right there.

Again, good job.

jfl
    I wish I would react like you did given the circumstances.
    You did just about textbook !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

You did real good, glad you're safe. Don't see anything else that might be a helpful suggestion. Good move on locking the jeep while fueling. What an idiot asking for a light at the gas pump.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    One question I have for you (and you may not be able to answer) is how close were you to pulling the trigger? Were you waiting for an actual weapon to appear or did the BG turn tail and run before it got to that point?
    One thing I was extremely aware of for some reason was how close I was to pulling the trigger. Honestly I would say I was a pound or so from the break point on the G23. I was in the process of pulling it for just a fraction of a second and as soon as he turned around I let off. I did not want to shoot this scum bag in the back.

One thing that I have thought about many time and actually ran through my mind in that instant was a video I saw of a study done on how easy it is to shoot a bad guy in the back when they are facing you and then do an immediate 180 to run away and in the time it took the police officer involved in the study to draw and pull the trigger the bad guy was facing away from them.

I am very happy I have never modified the trigger on my Glock. If I had a lighter trigger installed, that guy would have been shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    What an idiot asking for a light at the gas pump.
    I never even thought of that. That is funny.
    Vuva3rae likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    If your pumping gas, and he makes it do your car door, you allowed him to be way to close. But, it happens. Overall a good job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Glad you are OK. One thing that is amazing. This guy asked you for a light while you were pumping gas! He must be a true rocket scientist Gas! Flame!

wow...glad everything turned out okay for you man. Hopefully you, or anyone else for that matter, has to experience that again.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did well. Anyone reaching isn't pulling coupon or free movie passes. More than likely the BG tossed his weapon once he found a semi secluded spot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Nothing you could have done. Maybe retreat toward the cruiser instead of draw--which here you would have been illegal because he didn't have a weapon.

But, there is a clue in what you wrote. "(Those of you familiar with Memphis Tennessee (Citizen 510) will know the area. It is not the greatest)"

Avoid bad areas when possible.
    Just curious, why would it have been illegal for him to draw down on someone who after the facts he presented, happened to not have a weapon? From the OP, I would take it as the BG did have a weapon as that is how he presented it. IMO, it would be different if the OP discharged his weapon but he only drew down.As I was taught in my police academy, drawing down on someone is only constructive force, a lower level than wristlocks,pepper spray, baton, etc. I don't see anything wrong with the OP'S actions in that situation.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes, good job!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Well handled. If everything ends smooth, a little action during lunch hour is always good.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links