Whitnessed an assault, Got a Domestic Violence BG arrested

This is a discussion on Whitnessed an assault, Got a Domestic Violence BG arrested within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few days ago, here in Spokane, WA... I was driving home at around 11:30 am and I saw a girl (20's) and dog cross ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitnessed an assault, Got a Domestic Violence BG arrested

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

A few days ago, here in Spokane, WA...

I was driving home at around 11:30 am and I saw a girl (20's) and dog cross the street in front of me, a guy (I'll call him Red - he had a red sweatshirt) runs (jaywalking) across the street up to her. It is close to my apartment (50 yards) so I pull onto a side street to look for parking and watch them.

Red gets right in this girls face and starts pushing her. He is yelling and pushing her shoulders while she is trying to walk away. (we have had 60 inches of snow here and the road had several inches of slick ice. Walking is difficult as best, running away is impossible)

I see this and go, click, something is up. I am carrying a G19 IWB, in my car, doors locked, about 25 yards away. I call 911, give location and description, (argument, pushing and shoving, no weapons, no injuries...) and wait. Red continues doing the same thing (pushing, following, yelling). I stay put and watch. I feel badly the girl is getting pushed around, but she is not in immediate serious danger and I don't want to escalate the situation. Part of me is also scared it could get ugly. *see note*

6 min of this pass and an officer arrives. This poor girl is crying and when the officer pulls up, I have never seen anyone so relieved. Officer #2 arrives, they handcuff red and take a statement from the girl.

Officer #1 calls my on my cell (I gave it to 911) and asks for a statement over the phone. I reply that I am down the street in my car watching them...

I give my statement. All the patrol officers were busy so Officer #1 turned out to be SWAT who was at the station. He tells me this couple has an abusive domestic violence relationship. Red had a history of this and it was excellent that I (a neutral 3rd party) had witnessed this and could back up the girls story.

I have not been carrying that long, but I am proud of how it has helped my personality (and to send a BG to jail). A few years ago I might have just driven by...

*personal note: If things did get ugly, would I have gone? It is a hard choice. I certainly hesitated. It was hard for me to commit putting myself in the situation. Fortunately, the situation did not escalate and my hesitation kept me in my car. I am slowly realizing how tough it was to make a choice to follow a course of action with imperfect information and high risks. There was no time to rationalize, it has to be an instinctive decision...

I think you did good. Not escalating a situation is a good way to go.

The unfortunate part is, "Red" is probably already out of jail and making her life hell again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think you did good. Not escalating a situation is a good way to go.

The unfortunate part is, "Red" is probably already out of jail and making her life hell again.
    Your story convinced me to post mine.

I think Red must live down the street from me so I am carrying all the time now just in case he saw me enough to recognize me.

sss
    You did great. It's always important to remember that concealed carry doesn't make you a freelance police officer -- no immediate danger = no need to escalate. Very well done.

bat ....

You did really good and you have my respect, call 911 if possible before getting in the middle of a problem if time allows.
    I was washing my motorcycle in the front yard a couple years ago and I noticed a young woman following a young man down the street. She was carrying a short metal bat and was having words with him as he walked away from her, I thought I might have to save the guy from the young woman. he said he would stop and talk to her if she put the bat down, so she put the bat down and walked about 20 feet away from the bat. as the guy approached her he punched her in the face twice and she fell down. by that time I had stepped between the two and being a big old and ugly biker type, quickly sent him on his way. police and ambulance called, he was wrong to assault her after she put the bat down and went to jail for his effort. sometimes being a big old ugly biker works well too.
    apache Proverb:

Better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.

Many things on many levels here, IMNSHO. First and foremost, good on you for getting involved!! That doesn't often happen. Second, good on you for not getting involved to the extent that a weapon was involved. I think you did exactly what was needed to defuse the situation. And it is difficult to make rational and logical decisions when you see a "big guy" beating up on a "little guy".

But I also think that your attitude epitomizes the sense of responsibility with comes with carrying a deadly weapon. Because those of us who do carry have a tendency to think things through more thoroughly than perhaps those who do not carry, we tend to look at potential "rescue" situations a little differently. I think it has a lot more to do with the sense of responsibility than any "hero" complex.

Good on you.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thumbs up

A good example of how being a good witness IS helping (or, at least, can be, in the right situations). That is how we do that.

Keep your eyes open, for the next little while. That guy is bad news and might well think he's got your number.

As for his punching bag, she'd best eject from that relationship, else she might not be around much longer.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Good job! Another dirt bag behind bars.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

With a neutral party statement and witness, the arraignment for bail may finally get so high with the BG's record for domestic complaints, he won't be able to make bail. Hopefully there is a restraining order on him already to add another charge.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I really hate bullies, I think you did great. Today so many don't want to get involved and would have looked the other way. Hopefully the woman will take advantage of your report and free herself of this abusive situation.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Fantastic job. You did a great thing and may have saved her life. Keep up the good work.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Great job on being a witness and not getting physically involved.

An odd thing about domestic violence is that the woman 9 times out of 10 has convinced herself that she loves this guy and that he'll change if she doesn't give up on him... so what happens when you interject yourself physically is that she turns on you because now you're threatening or assautling the man she loves... it's crazy, but it happens enough that every cop I've talked to says he hates domestic dispute/violence calls because they're unpredicatable and violent.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I think you did excellent, and I could not think of a thing you could of done differently, that would be an improvement.

As others have said; A CCL does not make you an LEO at large, but it does make you more conferrable about hanging around and calling the COPS.

Thanks for the post

Job well done!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

mkh
    Job well done. Calling 911 and observing was the correct move. If things escalate on their on then you would need to make a tough decision. I'm glad you could avoid that.

As an ex-LEO I've seen these things go horribly against the officer when he shows up. It's funny how they can be fighting one moment then team up on you in an instant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links