Are these people Serious?

This is a discussion on Are these people Serious? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; estimated 2000 pound car travelling at a guessed 30mph? Well that's a light vehicle but - using 30mph as 44 fps - we get an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these people Serious?

Assistant Administrator
    estimated 2000 pound car travelling at a guessed 30mph?
    Well that's a light vehicle but - using 30mph as 44 fps - we get an energy figure of close to 60,000 ft lbs!

That of course spread over the whole frontal area, unlike the concentrated effect of something as small as a bullet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

The article also alluded to a nationwide movement to review (implication is restrict/change) departmental rules on dealing with fleeing suspects and shooting at cars. This incident may be used as a trigger to further restrict an officers ability to apply deadly force when confronted with deadly force.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Well I always said cars can be just as lethal as any weapon now maybe those bleeding hearts will listen. So now the Lib's are trying to keep the police from doing their job too. One more step to being a Victim Nation.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Senior Moderator
    Guys am I missing something here? Am I to believe that the answer to a speeding car coming straight at you is to shoot it? Does that stop the car? It may kill the driver, but how long will it take for the car to stop?

It seems to me that if you don't have time to get out of the way, shooting the driver or the car is not going to stop the car in time either.

Not saying the shooting was unjustified, I firmly believe it was. What I'm questioning is how shooting a car that's speeding straight at you will help?

Most of the time the suspects are leaving the scene. All the officer has to do is get out of the way
    Yeah, just dodge the speeding car (as seen on TV), let the perp escape the crime scene and start an all-over-town car chase with six-figure property damage and two-figure human casualties (as seen on TV).
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

What I'm questioning is how shooting a car that's speeding straight at you will help?
    Shooting the driver won't stop the car. But a dead driver cannot make a turn to hit you when you get out of the way. He can also not turn the car around and attempt to run you over a second time.

In VA the legal justification for using deadly force is the fear of serious bodily injury, or death to yourself or another. The shooting of the driver by the LEO can certainly be justified if the situation can be articulated and "a reasonable person" would come to the same conclusion that deadly force is warranted. Having said that if a person is deemed to be a threat of serious bodily injury or death to others even though they may not be presently at the scene of confrontation the same rules apply.

An example of this would be a person running off in to the city (in my jurisdiction) carrying an ax that has already demonstrated a propensity for violence and is believed to have the ability or motive to continue his, or her rampage. To expand on that even more a person does not need a traditional weapon per say but the ability to do harm to you in the degree described above.

You might find yourself surrounded by multiple persons bent on your demise and you having the ability to articulate that in court. If you carry a weapon this is an important point to ponder. I personally would and have reacted to unarmed attack to
    keep from losing control of my weapon preventing it from being used against me or another. The bottom line is know your state law on deadly force, keep an attorney contact info handy, and do not make statements until legal council is present.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    Shooting the driver won't stop the car. But a dead driver cannot make a turn to hit you when you get out of the way. He can also not turn the car around and attempt to run you over a second time.
    The issue I was addressing was that one can't get out of the way so the only choice is to shoot the car, which I would probably do myself, but realistically, you're gonna get run over.

The implication was that I can't get out of the way, so to stop from getting run over, I'll shoot the driver. My question was if you can't get out of the way, how will shooting the driver stop the car from running over you? It won't.

Shooting someone because you "think" he may do something, ie turn around and try again, may get one in a bunch of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ibex

+1.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

The issue I was addressing was that one can't get out of the way so the only choice is to shoot the car
    I imagine that the intuitive reaction to a speeding car whose driver is trying to make you his new hood ornament is to get out of the way. If you don't have time for that, I think there won't be time to overcome your instinct to jump away and shoot the driver and THEN get out of the way. I guess we agree on that one.

Dogding the car once does not mean the perp is no longer a threat to you or others, though. The perp is clearly willing to maim or kill people.

If you rob a liquor store and surrender to or run from the police when caught, you deserve a second chance. If you rob a liquor store and try to run the police OVER, you deserve what you get.

Senior Moderator
    I agree all the way.

It just seemed like there was a "slant" going that if one couldn't get out of the way of a car the solution would be to shoot it. The problem is that won't stop the car so if you were gonna get hit, you'd still get hit. I presume there would be some consolation in knowing the driver got what he deserved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links