Pastor Mugged and beaten in Church!

This is a discussion on Pastor Mugged and beaten in Church! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...12621/175045/A common isssue I deal with many times as a pastor is why do you need a Gun at church ? No one would ever ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastor Mugged and beaten in Church!

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Pastor Mugged and beaten in Church!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/new...12621/175045/A common isssue I deal with many times as a pastor is why do you need a Gun at church ? No one would ever hurt you there. A pastor that use to be in our association now lives in Virginia and this past Saturday he was robbed , Stabbed repeatedly , Slashed and beaten.
    People certainly ask me all the time what the world is coming to and I have answers that would only serve Controversy so I won t Go there. Where I will go is that my Job is to protect, that is one of the jobs of the shepherd from earliest times and will not waiver with me. If you choose that route with this pastor you wil surely leave with a different perspective. Pardon my rant but I do not understand why these guys were not SHOT in self defense of all that is Good and decent.
    Last edited by preachertim; January 15th, 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Article
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Unfortunately we are going to see more and more of this.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Terrible thing to happen. Something like that should not happen in a house of God (or anywhere), but I don't think the "wolves" really care. I CC in church, and while most of the members don't know, the ones that do have slowly started to accept it. Before I got my CC licence, I had the option to OC in church but didn't because I think it could distract people. When people say "You should be able to depend on God to protect you in church", my response is "We should depend on God to protect us at all times, and perhaps that's why God gave us guns."
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

There is nothing some low-lifes won't do.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I think you are doing the right thing to CC in church, G-d gave us wisdom to make the decision to protect our family's and ourselves from evil.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

BG's are thinking easy target, church, pastor, christians this has to change. Heads need to be pulled out of the sand and start to look at the signs of the times.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

First of all, my prayers and thoughts go out to your friend and fellow Pastor.

As far as I'm concerned, people who do things like that serve only one purpose - that of a moving target.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

When I was in high school one of the local churches used to do a drop in their hall. I think they were having a girls night or something and two boys tried getting in and when the priest wouldn't let them they beat him pretty bad. Luckily he was ok and i think he is now retired. He is a great guy and one of the nicest around. He also served as a State Police chaplain and the chaplain of the local PD/FD.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    One of the comments left in the story I found a little strange.

This is completely horrible! I know the economy is rough on us all, but when people start to robb churches and attack pastors this is when people are taking things waay to far. This makes my stomach turn. I really hope they catch these guys! Now all churches should have some type of surveillance systems to protect them.
    Are they implying that in rough times it's ok to rob regular people, and that average crime isn't "taking it too far"? It's never ok to steal, even if you can't feed yourself or your family. Churches are a fine place to go when things are rough though. My great grandpa was a pastor, and would give people who came to his doors food, clothing, or other supplies, as long as they worked for it, so he would have them move a pile of rocks. People back then were willing to do that rather than resort to robbery.

Surveilance wouldn't do much. Crime happens all the time in surveiled areas. Much better to be proactive (saying I will protect myself), than to be reactive (this happened, so as a result, we'll put up surveilance)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The thing about it is that the pastor couldn't have had a gun legally if I understand things right. In VA, you aren't allowed to have a gun at a religious building if there are "religious activities" going on at the time.

Really unfortunate....
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    People certainly ask me all the time what the world is coming to and I have answers that would only serve Controversy so I won t Go there.
    Does it have something to do with a handbasket?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

That is a one way ticket to hell.

actually in va the law states with out good and sufficiant reason. The pastor can carry. In my church we have armed security.I'm one of the lucky ones .I'm on the staff full time.So when ever we have any kind if church funtions , I'm on duty
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

VIP Member
    BGs consider churches a likely gun free zone and religious people an easy target...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Pastor attacked at Henrico church | Richmond Times-Dispatch common isssue I deal with many times as a pastor is why do you need a Gun at church ? No one would ever hurt you there. A pastor that use to be in our association now lives in Virginia and this past Saturday he was robbed , Stabbed repeatedly , Slashed and beaten.
    People certainly ask me all the time what the world is coming to and I have answers that would only serve Controversy so I won t Go there. Where I will go is that my Job is to protect, that is one of the jobs of the shepherd from earliest times and will not waiver with me. If you choose that route with this pastor you wil surely leave with a different perspective. Pardon my rant but I do not understand why these guys were not SHOT in self defense of all that is Good and decent.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links