If a police dog got away & charged at you, would you shoot it?

This is a discussion on If a police dog got away & charged at you, would you shoot it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sometimes see police dogs with their handler and just wonder what you would do if he got a mind of his own for some ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

I sometimes see police dogs with their handler and just wonder what you would do if he got a mind of his own for some reason and charged you and the cop is calling for him? (obviously not in trouble with the police).

On a similar note, One time I had to stop by a grocery store in an unfamiliar part of town but there was so much traffic to turn around I decided to park across the street and walk. As im going towards the parking lot, a huge dog in a fenced in area behind a animal clinic that was next door to the entrance, was trying HIS BEST to jump the 10 ft. fence. I started running, I was so scared he was going to make it over, but at the time I didnt have my pistol because I didnt have a CWP. When I was walking back (further away), i noticed the whole pen was empty, i think someone there saw them and took them inside. I was mad but it made me think you never know what might happen.

EDIT: heres an example:
    Police Dog Attacks Man Walking Home: Officer Apologizes; German Shepherd Got Away From Him - Business - redOrbit

"SORRY!"
    Last edited by 1899; January 16th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I sometimes see police dogs with their handler and just wonder what you would do if he got a mind of his own for some reason and charged you and the cop is calling for him? (obviously not in trouble with the police).

On a similar note, One time I had to stop by a grocery store in an unfamiliar part of town but there was so much traffic to turn around I decided to park across the street and walk. As im going towards the parking lot, a huge dog in a fenced in area behind a animal clinic that was next door to the entrance, was trying HIS BEST to jump the 10 ft. fence. I started running, I was so scared he was going to make it over, but at the time I didnt have my pistol because I didnt have a CWP. When I was walking back (further away), i noticed the whole pen was empty, i think someone there saw them and took them inside. I mas mad but it made me think you never know what might happen.
    A police dog chasing you would not warrant a deadly force situation. First of all the handlers have incredible control over their dogs. Try to attend a K-9 demonstration sometime and you will see what I mean.

Second of all I would rather be bit from a police K-9 than some dog off the street. They are trained to "bite and hold", rather than bite and bite and bite and bite. They are also trained to bite the closest thing to them (usually the butt or back of the legs). It is not like the movies where you see dogs going for the jugular.

No. If the officer is around, he has reason to shoot you if he sees you with a gun and you start shooting his dog. On the other hand, if he's not around and you kill the dog, you could be charged with killing a police dog whether you were acting in self-defense or not. Don't want to be the guy to find out.

If I can't get into a building, car or tree to protect myself...I'm not going to end up alpo
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I would rather be bit from a police K-9 than some dog off the street. They are trained to "bite and hold", rather than bite and bite and bite and bite. They are also trained to bite the closest thing to them (usually the butt or back of the legs). It is not like the movies where you see dogs going for the jugular.
    You are quite wrong. The premise was the dog got away from his master. My former neighbor (sheriff) had a dog that gave the vet 350 stitches, and the meter reader 80 stitches. When he was not around, the dog enjoyed biting. The only way he stopped is if the victim passed out and stopped struggling.
    Would I shoot? Hell yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    First of all the handlers have incredible control over their dogs.
    While most of the time this is true. I do remember a situation two years ago where one of the police dogs in our community ran away. It took the police a few days to find him. So sometimes, the dogs do get minds of their owns.

Tough call, but even if the dog does manage to get away, I find it fairly unlikely that he would indiscriminately attack someone.
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    You are quite wrong. The premise was the dog got away from his master. My former neighbor (sheriff) had a dog that gave the vet 350 stitches, and the meter reader 80 stitches. When he was not around, the dog enjoyed biting. The only way he stopped is if the victim passed out and stopped struggling.
    Would I shoot? Hell yes.
    First off, no need to say I am "quite wrong". I, speaking from my point of view I am 100% correct, just as you, speaking from your point of view are 100% correct.
    I was commenting based off of my knowledge of my department's K-9 program. It seems your buddy had a dog that is not fit for law enforcement or their K-9 program is trach. If that kind of crap happened in my agency that dog would be sent back to the breeder after the first incident.
    Last edited by srfl; January 16th, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Use of foul language

If the dog starts running at you and it looks like it is going to attack you, the police officer is probably going to trust that the dog knows something is wrong. The officer is probably going to trust his dog more than you.

Drawing a firearm would be about the worst thing you could do.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Tough call, I think my first inclination would be to soil myself. If the Cop is there chasing after the dog I'd probably throw my arm out to be the target and then hope the Cop can get the dog off, I may grab one of my knives if I have a chance. I doubt I would be able to hit a charging LEO K-9 and would probably do some bad damage elsewhere with my bullet.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

We all know this is a unlikely scenario, as are many on this forum, however if the officer isn't present and the dog is approaching me in a aggressive manor and I felt he or she was going to attack I wouldn't hesitate to put it down, doesn't matter who the owner is!! I have been dog bit before, it doesn't feel good!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    First of all the handlers have incredible control over their dogs.
    Dogs are not machines, they still have a mind of their own. I used to work on police cars and sometimes when you walk by a k9 unit, they bark at you like they are on steroids, shaking the car.

And some dogs are rookies:
    Rookie police dog chased wrong target in officer-involved shooting - Latest news | Bakersfield.com - Kern County news, events, shopping & search

"Sorry about that"
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...erd/index.html

I wouldn't draw. Maybe sit and cry.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't shoot a police dog who gets loose from his handler, provided the handler is there and you know it is a police dog, for several reasons:

1. Drawing your weapon in the presence of the LEO is a good way to get yourself shot.

2. The Dog is considered a LEO in most places and it is viewed as shooting a LEO.

3. Police dogs are not trained to kill, they are trained to detain.

4. The more aggressive the dog views you the more aggressive it will become.

Now if the handler is not there, you have no way of knowing it is a police dog, it's not like they are going to be wearing a uniform and badge. In that case if you are in fear of serious bodily injury, and there is no way to get to safety, then I would do what was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    2. The Dog is considered a LEO in most places and it is viewed as shooting a LEO.
    I agree, even if you did manage to hit a charging Rin Tin Tin, and were able to subdue it, chances are it'll be the last thing you ever do.
    Inter arma enim silent leges
    "For among times of arms, the laws fall mute"

a trained police dog would be be chasing you. He is trained, trained, and trained. Handlers have total control over the dog.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links