From craigslist for Tampa, Fl: NOT THE GA ROBBERY

This is a discussion on From craigslist for Tampa, Fl: NOT THE GA ROBBERY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this on Tampa's craigslist Looking for someone with concealed weapon permit to patrol private rd (Seffner area) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Reply to: job-995471901@craigslist.org [?] Date: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From craigslist for Tampa, Fl: NOT THE GA ROBBERY

From craigslist for Tampa, Fl: NOT THE GA ROBBERY

I saw this on Tampa's craigslist

Looking for someone with concealed weapon permit to patrol private rd (Seffner area)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: job-995471901@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2009-01-16, 2:57PM EST

We are looking for a reliable, responsible individual that is licensed to carry a weapon of their own and have a security guard class d and g license, to patrol our private street between the hours of approximately 2:30AM to 5:30AM, days will vary. This is a basic security type job, you will just be watching the houses on our small private road and patrolling for any suspicious activity. E-mail for more information or if you're interested. Interview is required.

Compensation: $7-$10
    This is a part-time job.
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Please, no phone calls about this job!
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
    PostingID: 995471901
    Last I checked my concealed carry permit wasn't a license to be an armed security guard. Especially for $7-10/hr.

Here's the link: Looking for someone with concealed weapon permit to patrol private rd

2. Remove Ads

This could get somebody in trouble in a hurry.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Why would it get anyone in trouble? They want someone who is a licenced security guard and is also licenced to carry to patrol a private road. The way they talk about it, the patrol area is private property. You can have all the armed guards you want on private property. What I don't understand is why there would be multiple homes...that sounds a lot like public property. So if it is truly private property, I'd think it ok. If it's public property, and they are calling the road a private road because it's not a throughway, that's different.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sounds just like hired neighborhood watch. The carry part is a little scary though. At $7-$10 per hour minus patrolling and using your own gas, how much would you end up making

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Why would it get anyone in trouble? They want someone who is a licenced security guard and is also licenced to carry to patrol a private road. The way they talk about it, the patrol area is private property. You can have all the armed guards you want on private property. What I don't understand is why there would be multiple homes...that sounds a lot like public property. So if it is truly private property, I'd think it ok. If it's public property, and they are calling the road a private road because it's not a throughway, that's different.
    I'm just thinking of the wording, if they are already a licensed level 3 SG there is no need to also ask if they are are CCL. Mark it up to uneducated homeowners looking for help, but I can see an over zealous trial lawyer foaming at the mouth after a BG gets shot in this neighborhood.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

That pay is very low, IMO, especially considering you may have to use and be exposed to deadly force during your "job."

Plus, if you do get shot/stabbed/beaten on the job, who pays for it? I'm going to guess there is no worker's comp here.

I read it this way: You will patrol and report suspicious activity to the sheriff.
    The gun is for your own protection, you are not expected to apprehend BG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I read it this way: You will patrol and report suspicious activity to the sheriff.
    The gun is for your own protection, you are not expected to apprehend BG's.
    Did you put that ad on Craig's List?

I can also see it that way, but for legal reasons I would want it spelled out that way in my contract.

-Paco

I am not a lawyer, but in order to work as a security guard, you need a license in Florida.

A security officer is any individual or business who, for consideration, advertises as or is engaged in the business of furnishing security services described below. The individuals and agencies are required to be licensed:

* Guards property
    * Attempts to prevent theft, misappropriation or concealment of property or other valuables
    armed or not doesn't matter: if you take money to guard someone's property, then you need a license.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Read the listing... They do not ask for a CCW holder they ask for a person with a security guards license which is different. Also, The whole thing can be private even with multiplal houses if a municipality has not annexed the road. This means that they also have to take care of the maintenance of the road and run the there own water lines and sewers to tap into the local city services. This type of set up is very common with housing and condo developments here in Ohio especially your higher end ones. This could also be a gated community and I am not talking about the kind that issues orange jump suits and slip on shoes. I see nothing wrong with this listing. Look up the info on the licensing required. class D is un armed certificate and class G is an armed certificate. Each require special training courses, A person with a class G is also qualified to work for an armored truck service.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

They should also post another add looking for people to sue them. The whole thing spells TROUBLE.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

JRI
    The way I see it I am not about to miss 3 hours sleep between 2:30 - 5:30AM for a lousey $21 - $30. Not even if it was off the books!

You guys gotta read, they wanted someone with guard license, and gun license. Pretty simple. Its probably a private road with a few homes. Either polygamists or some guy rents out homes on his property, who knows.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. The money sucks and if you end up with gun play the lawyer will cost you a lot more.

$7 - $10 buckaroos per hour???? HAH!!!!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links