Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

This is a discussion on Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry mine behind my debit card,and the pic is hidden it just looks like more plastic...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

I carry mine behind my debit card,and the pic is hidden it just looks like more plastic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I don't really understand what the big deal is.

Since I joined this board, all I've been reading is "I got made" and "Someone touched my gun."

WHO CARES.

Take the opportunity to explain the situation to them. The OP did and it seemed to work for him. My friends know I carry, as does my wife and family.

Hiding it gains nothing. While you all may be "hush-hush" I'll tell anyone that asks.

Absolutely no harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Openroad View Post
    You're lucky down in Tennessee, open carry is legal in Michigan too Mike however I would have a very long day if I tried carrying open around my town. It's a liberal area and plenty of antis would be burning their cellphones to get the LEOs over here and collar this redneck gun-wearing menace. This is one of the many reasons I continue to try and limit those that know...
    Yep, Tennesse is a pretty gun friendly place with a few exceptions in the law.

But, as for it not be a Liberal haven, I live in Shelby County, the only County (I think) that went for Obama. Shelby County is very Liberal and quite Demoncrat. In fact, a couple of friends and myself coined the term, and made T-Shirts for ourselves that read "Charter Member: Shelby County Conservative Insurgency".

But, even though it is very Liberal here, gun ownership is still very high in Shelby County. And, there is one very big reason for it. No matter if you are Liberal, or Conservative, Demoncrat or Republican, Libertarian, Green Party (whatever that is) or any other political persuasion, The big single reason to be armed in Shelby County is the big pit of dispair and hate and crime known as MEMPHIS. Open carry is not at all an unusual thing here. And Shelby County by far has the highest number of armed citizens in the state.

If you ever want to move to a place where your gun worn openly on your hip is no big deal, even to the lefties, this is the place. Come on down. We don't get much snow and ice either.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I originally carried on a Florida permit which has a big banner across the top "CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT". Don't you know I buried that one behind cards I never use!

I have to admit, as I read about your inquisitive friend "What is that? Can I see it? Can I? Why not? What is it? What's it for? Lemme see! What is it?" I thought "How old is this guy's friend? Seven?" Glad to hear it all worked out okay.

Joe

Got made last night by my CHL permit
    Here's what I do. In the "window" area where my state driver's license is showing, the second card behind it is my CHL. That second card is flipped backwards, so that even if the DL is removed it won't show what's behind it. In the event I need to pull both, the person reading them can flip the second one around when it gets read. Works very well for keeping prying eyes where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperNine View Post
    I don't really understand what the big deal is.

Hiding it gains nothing.
    For the person who gets fired, ostracized, or otherwise dumped from a group of friends or colleagues because of it, it does have some value. Though, this really says more about the nature of the folks who would wig out because of the knowledge than it does about folks who take such steps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I must be spoiled living here in SW MO, as there's not much threat of being ostracized because a person chooses to carry. Hell, a handful of the people I work with are all talking about taking the CCW class together, and we're nurses (insert generic male nurse comment here )! Even one of the doctors I work with carries. I guess it's just a difference in geography.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster." - Bobby Henderson, Open Letter To Kansas School Board

You have an XD in a supertuck and you got made because of your LISCENCE??

Sounds like a successful concealed carry to me.

other than that, in response to ccw9mm, fired is one thing, but if my friends can't deal with it, they are not my friends. I would have used the opportunity to let my "friend" know that, yeah, i carry a gun.

Now don't EVER look in my wallet or pester me like that in front of people again. It's my business, and I'm keeping it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    other than that, in response to ccw9mm, fired is one thing, but if my friends can't deal with it, they are not my friends. I would have used the opportunity to let my "friend" know that, yeah, i carry a gun.
    So would I. But the point is about maintaining control of situations. Retaining control over the timing of divulging what it is we carry can be an important thing. MANY folks will blurt out the strangest things, when surprised. Witness any 3yr old and what amazing things they can say at the strangest times (ie, "Daddy, I can see your gun showing."), which doesn't mean they're not our children. Yes, I would also use the situation as an opportunity to explain to my friend. And, in the end, if the friend could not ultimately deal with it, it would certainly put a strain on the relationship.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No one cares in this area.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I keep my permit behind my DL so the checkout person doesn't get to see my license just for me to write a check but I don't hide the fact that I carry from people that I know and am friendly enough with to go to the movies with them. Anytime the subject comes up, I'm more than willing to discuss why I carry, the ins and outs of carrying, the process, etc. and more than one person has gone on to get their license. In Kansas, there have only been 15783 licenses issued, or less than 1% of the population so I try and take every opportunity to increase those numbers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaW View Post
    Here in MO, I think we have the option of having our CCW as an endorsement on our regular drivers license. Always seemed like a bad idea to me, but I wonder if, considering how little some people pay attention, if it might not be a decent option... Any thoughts?
    hello from kansas city.
    True, not very many people may know what they are looking at, but I got a separate state ID card for those who do know what they are looking at. I am not afraid or ashamed, I just don't want to have to out myself if i don't have to. I want to be the one letting people know that I carry, not my DL.
    BTW, it was cheaper to put my endorsement on the ID than DL. Duplicate DL was $12, separate ID was $11. I know, it's only $1, but i would rather have two cards and control of who knows.....

pierce
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So would I. But the point is about maintaining control of situations. Retaining control over the timing of divulging what it is we carry can be an important thing. MANY folks will blurt out the strangest things, when surprised. Witness any 3yr old and what amazing things they can say at the strangest times (ie, "Daddy, I can see your gun showing."), which doesn't mean they're not our children. Yes, I would also use the situation as an opportunity to explain to my friend. And, in the end, if the friend could not ultimately deal with it, it would certainly put a strain on the relationship.

( I didn't mean right then and there...just so you understand that I was talking about later.)
    But children are a different matter, aren't they? We are talking about grown adults here versus a 3 year old child of your own...big difference. I expect more discreet and adult behavior from a friend that is 25 years old....

wait...

I'm 38.

Now that i think about it, maybe I don't.

VIP Member
    I keep my permit behind my DL. It only can be seen if I take it out and show it.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    My permit just looks like a business card. No picture, not even laminated. You'd have to be looking pretty close to notice the seal of the state of Virginia on there and not think it was just the business card of some state employee.

Unless, of course, you had seen a VA CHP before. But I doubt anyone around here ever has.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I keep my permit behind my DL as well. I also keep my license in my front pocket. When I was a kid I had my pocket picked as I kept it in my back pocket at that time, but after that I kept it in my front left pocket.

I like the idea of having the back of the license showing, good tip. A few years ago I was in Radio Shack buying something. I like to pay by check because I can keep track of my finances better that way. Anyway, the smart a** kid behind the counter asks to see two kind of ID with a picture on it, so I showed him my CCW along with my DL. He looked a little pale and didn't say much after the transaction was over.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links