Defensive Carry banner

Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
So last night I decided to watch Gran Turino with 5 friends last night at the 10:30 showing, naturally I carried to the theater. I covered my XD & Supertuck with a warm LS shirt untucked. I made sure I wasn't printing at all and none of these friends know I CC, that's how I wanna keep it.

So I'm standing at the ticket window wih my wallet open fishing out a 10-spot ($8.75 for a movie,sheesh) when my 25 Y/O friend excitedly asks, "oh that's a cool license picture, what is it?". Keep in mind my DL and CC permit are on a flip-out ID holder in the center of my wallet, open the wallet up and both are visible. I quiety say "it's a permit for work, I'll explain later...". Which doesn't work. "Cmon man, lemme see, what's it for?". Wallet has been closed for awhile and I'm mumbling around the foot in my mouth... "we'll talk later, let's just see the movie.". Needless to say he's persistent and now a little mad, luckily our other friends (2 guys 2 girls) didn't notice the conversation.

As I was his ride the topic came back up on he way to his apartment, I was proud of myself as I did a good job explaining what a CC license is and why I Made the decision to carry. He asked what training was required, how to CC daily, an where you could and couldnt carry. He was very positive and would like to go to the range with me sometime! :santaclaus:

I was satisfied with the outcome as I know he is the most 2A friendly of the group last night, however there is now a Starbucks card in front of my CHL permit to prevent inadvertantly flashing it in the future. Just a warning to y'all, could have made my night a little uncomfortable!

BTW, loved the movie... in spite of the heavy language and racial slurs, watch the whole thing and you'll be amazed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure why you haven't had a response but let me say that it seemed to have turned out as well as you could have hoped.
I would just try and convince your friend that CCing is something that needs to be kept in confidence. Explain why .. give an example.
Here is my take on a possible situation that I could have found myself in. I had a problem with my neighbor and they falsely called the police on me and made up a stupid charge. Nothing came of it because it was bull crap but just think it they knew I was CCing and claimed that I brandished my weapon at them. Now it is up to me to prove that I didn't and who knows, I could lose my permit. Even if things turn out fine maybe it costs me some money just to prove I'm innocent.
My point is anyone that is your friend now could easily tell folks about you CCing and you could lose your "advantage" in a bad situation. Just my nickel here!

#4 ·
There have been a few other post about carring a wallet. Which pocket? Front or Rear. My .02 and how I carry is cash in front right pocket and credit cards and DL and CCW in left front. What keep your money in a wallet. I know before hand if I am going to pay cash or credit card.So why have both in same place? When you open your wallet on a credit card purchase somebody can see how much cash you have stuffed in the bill fold. I have never carried a wallet!! Never. People find in hard to sit on and every easy for somebody to lift.

#5 ·
A very good nickle indeed! Our children know. We made the decision to let them know because we are with our grandchildren alot. They are alright with it and feel the children are safer with us. They know we will never let harm come to them. They also know not to tell anyone. Good point about the I.D. Mine is behind my drivers license. I will now put something between them. Thank you both.

#8 ·
That is the very reason I have never carried my permit with my DL. My DL is in a ID holder with my retired mil ID and my permit is in a ID holder of it's own.

#9 ·
Here in MO, I think we have the option of having our CCW as an endorsement on our regular drivers license. Always seemed like a bad idea to me, but I wonder if, considering how little some people pay attention, if it might not be a decent option... Any thoughts? :confused:

#12 ·
I carry my credit and ID cards loose in a front pocket along with bills folded in half. I arrange them so I can pull any necessary single item from my pocket and nothing extra.

I myself just saw GT a couple of days ago. It was great, the best I have seen in a while.

#13 ·
Well, I am not one of those who treats the fact that I carry as a dirty secret that no one must ever find out about. In fact, I open carry the majority of the time in the warm months here in West Tennessee.

Having said that, when I do carry concealed, it is for a reason and as such, I carry my HCP in my wallet right behind my DL so if anyone does see into my wallet when it is open, all they see is the top of my DL peeking out and not the HCP.

Good idea putting the Satrbucks card in front of the permit. And it didn't turn out bad as you now have someone interested in getting their permit, and going to the range. That is a positive outcome.

#14 ·
Thanks guys, and as Mike said it didn't turn out too bad. I did make clear to my friend that I would appreciate if he kept the fact I CC to himself and he seemed to understand the responsibility of carrying. I gave him a few scenarios where I would be at a disadvantage if friends called on me to draw my weapon and save the day, which knowing my rather loudmouthed buddies is a likely occurrence! :rolleyes:

You're lucky down in Tennessee, open carry is legal in Michigan too Mike however I would have a very long day if I tried carrying open around my town. It's a liberal area and plenty of antis would be burning their cellphones to get the LEOs over here and collar this ******* gun-wearing menace. This is one of the many reasons I continue to try and limit those that know...

#18 ·
You're lucky down in Tennessee, open carry is legal in Michigan too Mike however I would have a very long day if I tried carrying open around my town. It's a liberal area and plenty of antis would be burning their cellphones to get the LEOs over here and collar this ******* gun-wearing menace. This is one of the many reasons I continue to try and limit those that know...
Yep, Tennesse is a pretty gun friendly place with a few exceptions in the law.

But, as for it not be a Liberal haven, I live in Shelby County, the only County (I think) that went for Obama. Shelby County is very Liberal and quite Demoncrat. In fact, a couple of friends and myself coined the term, and made T-Shirts for ourselves that read "Charter Member: Shelby County Conservative Insurgency".

But, even though it is very Liberal here, gun ownership is still very high in Shelby County. And, there is one very big reason for it. No matter if you are Liberal, or Conservative, Demoncrat or Republican, Libertarian, Green Party (whatever that is) or any other political persuasion, The big single reason to be armed in Shelby County is the big pit of dispair and hate and crime known as MEMPHIS. Open carry is not at all an unusual thing here. And Shelby County by far has the highest number of armed citizens in the state.

If you ever want to move to a place where your gun worn openly on your hip is no big deal, even to the lefties, this is the place. Come on down. We don't get much snow and ice either.:hand10:

#17 ·
I don't really understand what the big deal is.

Since I joined this board, all I've been reading is "I got made" and "Someone touched my gun."

WHO CARES.

Take the opportunity to explain the situation to them. The OP did and it seemed to work for him. My friends know I carry, as does my wife and family.

Hiding it gains nothing. While you all may be "hush-hush" I'll tell anyone that asks.

Absolutely no harm.

#20 ·
Got made last night by my CHL permit
Here's what I do. In the "window" area where my state driver's license is showing, the second card behind it is my CHL. That second card is flipped backwards, so that even if the DL is removed it won't show what's behind it. In the event I need to pull both, the person reading them can flip the second one around when it gets read. Works very well for keeping prying eyes where they belong.

I don't really understand what the big deal is.

Hiding it gains nothing.
For the person who gets fired, ostracized, or otherwise dumped from a group of friends or colleagues because of it, it does have some value. Though, this really says more about the nature of the folks who would wig out because of the knowledge than it does about folks who take such steps.

#19 ·
I originally carried on a Florida permit which has a big banner across the top "CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT". Don't you know I buried that one behind cards I never use!

I have to admit, as I read about your inquisitive friend "What is that? Can I see it? Can I? Why not? What is it? What's it for? Lemme see! What is it?" I thought "How old is this guy's friend? Seven?" Glad to hear it all worked out okay.

Joe

#21 ·
I must be spoiled living here in SW MO, as there's not much threat of being ostracized because a person chooses to carry. Hell, a handful of the people I work with are all talking about taking the CCW class together, and we're nurses (insert generic male nurse comment here :embarassed:)! Even one of the doctors I work with carries. I guess it's just a difference in geography.

#22 ·
You have an XD in a supertuck and you got made because of your LISCENCE??

Sounds like a successful concealed carry to me.

other than that, in response to ccw9mm, fired is one thing, but if my friends can't deal with it, they are not my friends. I would have used the opportunity to let my "friend" know that, yeah, i carry a gun.

Now don't EVER look in my wallet or pester me like that in front of people again. It's my business, and I'm keeping it that way.

#23 ·
other than that, in response to ccw9mm, fired is one thing, but if my friends can't deal with it, they are not my friends. I would have used the opportunity to let my "friend" know that, yeah, i carry a gun.
So would I. But the point is about maintaining control of situations. Retaining control over the timing of divulging what it is we carry can be an important thing. MANY folks will blurt out the strangest things, when surprised. Witness any 3yr old and what amazing things they can say at the strangest times (ie, "Daddy, I can see your gun showing."), which doesn't mean they're not our children. Yes, I would also use the situation as an opportunity to explain to my friend. And, in the end, if the friend could not ultimately deal with it, it would certainly put a strain on the relationship.

#25 ·
I keep my permit behind my DL so the checkout person doesn't get to see my license just for me to write a check but I don't hide the fact that I carry from people that I know and am friendly enough with to go to the movies with them. Anytime the subject comes up, I'm more than willing to discuss why I carry, the ins and outs of carrying, the process, etc. and more than one person has gone on to get their license. In Kansas, there have only been 15783 licenses issued, or less than 1% of the population so I try and take every opportunity to increase those numbers.

Hoss

#28 ·
I keep my permit behind my DL. It only can be seen if I take it out and show it. :wink:

#29 ·
My permit just looks like a business card. No picture, not even laminated. You'd have to be looking pretty close to notice the seal of the state of Virginia on there and not think it was just the business card of some state employee.

Unless, of course, you had seen a VA CHP before. But I doubt anyone around here ever has.

#30 ·
I keep my permit behind my DL as well. I also keep my license in my front pocket. When I was a kid I had my pocket picked as I kept it in my back pocket at that time, but after that I kept it in my front left pocket.

I like the idea of having the back of the license showing, good tip. A few years ago I was in Radio Shack buying something. I like to pay by check because I can keep track of my finances better that way. Anyway, the smart a** kid behind the counter asks to see two kind of ID with a picture on it, so I showed him my CCW along with my DL. He looked a little pale and didn't say much after the transaction was over.:scruntiny:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.