Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

This is a discussion on Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last night I decided to watch Gran Turino with 5 friends last night at the 10:30 showing, naturally I carried to the theater. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

Unhappy Got made last night by my CHL permit, FYI...

So last night I decided to watch Gran Turino with 5 friends last night at the 10:30 showing, naturally I carried to the theater. I covered my XD & Supertuck with a warm LS shirt untucked. I made sure I wasn't printing at all and none of these friends know I CC, that's how I wanna keep it.

So I'm standing at the ticket window wih my wallet open fishing out a 10-spot ($8.75 for a movie,sheesh) when my 25 Y/O friend excitedly asks, "oh that's a cool license picture, what is it?". Keep in mind my DL and CC permit are on a flip-out ID holder in the center of my wallet, open the wallet up and both are visible. I quiety say "it's a permit for work, I'll explain later...". Which doesn't work. "Cmon man, lemme see, what's it for?". Wallet has been closed for awhile and I'm mumbling around the foot in my mouth... "we'll talk later, let's just see the movie.". Needless to say he's persistent and now a little mad, luckily our other friends (2 guys 2 girls) didn't notice the conversation.

As I was his ride the topic came back up on he way to his apartment, I was proud of myself as I did a good job explaining what a CC license is and why I Made the decision to carry. He asked what training was required, how to CC daily, an where you could and couldnt carry. He was very positive and would like to go to the range with me sometime!

I was satisfied with the outcome as I know he is the most 2A friendly of the group last night, however there is now a Starbucks card in front of my CHL permit to prevent inadvertantly flashing it in the future. Just a warning to y'all, could have made my night a little uncomfortable!

BTW, loved the movie... in spite of the heavy language and racial slurs, watch the whole thing and you'll be amazed.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Not sure why you haven't had a response but let me say that it seemed to have turned out as well as you could have hoped.
    I would just try and convince your friend that CCing is something that needs to be kept in confidence. Explain why .. give an example.
    Here is my take on a possible situation that I could have found myself in. I had a problem with my neighbor and they falsely called the police on me and made up a stupid charge. Nothing came of it because it was bull crap but just think it they knew I was CCing and claimed that I brandished my weapon at them. Now it is up to me to prove that I didn't and who knows, I could lose my permit. Even if things turn out fine maybe it costs me some money just to prove I'm innocent.
    My point is anyone that is your friend now could easily tell folks about you CCing and you could lose your "advantage" in a bad situation. Just my nickel here!

It seems to be the general consensus by most here is "mum" is the word.

There have been a few other post about carring a wallet. Which pocket? Front or Rear. My .02 and how I carry is cash in front right pocket and credit cards and DL and CCW in left front. What keep your money in a wallet. I know before hand if I am going to pay cash or credit card.So why have both in same place? When you open your wallet on a credit card purchase somebody can see how much cash you have stuffed in the bill fold. I have never carried a wallet!! Never. People find in hard to sit on and every easy for somebody to lift.

Oma
    A very good nickle indeed! Our children know. We made the decision to let them know because we are with our grandchildren alot. They are alright with it and feel the children are safer with us. They know we will never let harm come to them. They also know not to tell anyone. Good point about the I.D. Mine is behind my drivers license. I will now put something between them. Thank you both.

License, library card, CCL for me...in that order. I have to show my license some times when I pay with my credit card so I have to hide my pink(argh) CCL
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Kids don't always know when to keep quiet. Do you really want them telling all their little friends, who have older crack head brothers?

I think kids need to be old enough how to keep their own counsel. Say 32.

VIP Member
    That is the very reason I have never carried my permit with my DL. My DL is in a ID holder with my retired mil ID and my permit is in a ID holder of it's own.

Here in MO, I think we have the option of having our CCW as an endorsement on our regular drivers license. Always seemed like a bad idea to me, but I wonder if, considering how little some people pay attention, if it might not be a decent option... Any thoughts?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster." - Bobby Henderson, Open Letter To Kansas School Board

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaW View Post
    Here in MO, I think we have the option of having our CCW as an endorsement on our regular drivers license. Always seemed like a bad idea to me, but I wonder if, considering how little some people pay attention, if it might not be a decent option... Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't. People see your DL all the time, but not all of those same people should know you are carrying. You need more control over that and thus, it should be kept on a separate card.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Not sure why you haven't had a response but let me say that it seemed to have turned out as well as you could have hoped.
    I would just try and convince your friend that CCing is something that needs to be kept in confidence. Explain why .. give an example.
    Here is my take on a possible situation that I could have found myself in. I had a problem with my neighbor and they falsely called the police on me and made up a stupid charge. Nothing came of it because it was bull crap but just think it they knew I was CCing and claimed that I brandished my weapon at them. Now it is up to me to prove that I didn't and who knows, I could lose my permit. Even if things turn out fine maybe it costs me some money just to prove I'm innocent.
    My point is anyone that is your friend now could easily tell folks about you CCing and you could lose your "advantage" in a bad situation. Just my nickel here!
    A very good reason to keep this information as close as possible.

Only my wife, my CCW instructor & the students in that class know.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry my credit and ID cards loose in a front pocket along with bills folded in half. I arrange them so I can pull any necessary single item from my pocket and nothing extra.

I myself just saw GT a couple of days ago. It was great, the best I have seen in a while.

Well, I am not one of those who treats the fact that I carry as a dirty secret that no one must ever find out about. In fact, I open carry the majority of the time in the warm months here in West Tennessee.

Having said that, when I do carry concealed, it is for a reason and as such, I carry my HCP in my wallet right behind my DL so if anyone does see into my wallet when it is open, all they see is the top of my DL peeking out and not the HCP.

Good idea putting the Satrbucks card in front of the permit. And it didn't turn out bad as you now have someone interested in getting their permit, and going to the range. That is a positive outcome.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks guys, and as Mike said it didn't turn out too bad. I did make clear to my friend that I would appreciate if he kept the fact I CC to himself and he seemed to understand the responsibility of carrying. I gave him a few scenarios where I would be at a disadvantage if friends called on me to draw my weapon and save the day, which knowing my rather loudmouthed buddies is a likely occurrence!

You're lucky down in Tennessee, open carry is legal in Michigan too Mike however I would have a very long day if I tried carrying open around my town. It's a liberal area and plenty of antis would be burning their cellphones to get the LEOs over here and collar this redneck gun-wearing menace. This is one of the many reasons I continue to try and limit those that know...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

That's why I keep my driver's license and carry permit in a little passcase in a shirt pocket seperate from my wallet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links