Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

This is a discussion on Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been carrying since 1986, forgot what it felt like at first but sure it was empowering in some way....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

Been carrying since 1986, forgot what it felt like at first but sure it was empowering in some way.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

gotta admit, more sobering than cool. the "why" overcomes the actual "what" real fast

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've long since outgrown that feeling. Now it just feels comforting.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I don't think about it unless it's not there. My wallet is like that too... feel naked without it.
    Both of these express my feelings.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Your feeling will change. I know it is a powerful feeling, but that power changes to responsibility. Enjoy your new responsibility and welcome to the club!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

The "cool" factor goes away the very first time you have to draw it in fear for your life, from then on it is a necessity and you hope you never have to do that again. If you are lucky that will never happen to you, or if you do pray you never have to fire it. You might want to give this some deep thought. A person flopping and twitching in front of you because you shot them in in no way "cool". If you want to be "cool" with your guns take up Cowboy shooting. Carrying a gun for protection is real life and somewhat scary, Peoples lives are just a finger twitch away.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    A person flopping and twitching in front of you because you shot them in in no way "cool". If you want to be "cool" with your guns take up Cowboy shooting.
    Wasn't meant that way and there was no need to manipulate my words into thinking killing people is "cool". You took this thread down the wrong path from your own misunderstandings and misinterpretations. Not cool man. I have enough respect for guns from my father and a healthy respect to watch out for complacency around them. You don't need to judge me like that either, you know very little about me.

I don't know where you are from, but where I am from (Texas), "Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?" doesn't translate to or have anything to do with, "A person flopping and twitching in front of you because you shot them in in no way "cool"... which were your exact words

No I didn't misinterpret what you wrote. I just want you to really think about why you carry. Carrying a pistol because it feels "cool" is the wrong reason to carry. I admit that over 40 years ago it felt "cool" to strap on a pistol when I went hunting, but all that changed when I had to shoot a vicious dog. I realized I was carrying for a real reason, not because it felt "cool".

I got past any feeling that it is cool to carry about 18 years ago or so. Now it is just one more part of the wardrobe that goes on every day.

But I do know that I could use it if I had to. And I never want to come as close as I did the other day again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No I didn't misinterpret what you wrote. I just want you to really think about why you carry. Carrying a pistol because it feels "cool" is the wrong reason to carry. I admit that over 40 years ago it felt "cool" to strap on a pistol when I went hunting, but all that changed when I had to shoot a vicious dog. I realized I was carrying for a real reason, not because it felt "cool".
    I am 23 years old and I've worked as a Paramedic for a 911 service. I've had patients die in front of me from motor vehicle accidents, heart attacks, strokes, brain hemorrhage, and asphyxia. I woke up and I am pretty mature from it and can make mature decisions. I am mature about carrying and very responsible and respectful, and I was simply stating that I enjoyed the fact that I had a weapon on my person that may some day save my life because I have proven myself that I am quick on my feet and can think during extreme stress and I am a damn good shot as well. I practice weekly at the range mostly from SD distances with rapid fire practice as well. I can hit a softball size circle at 4 yards in fast rapid fire with my Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911 .45 ACP. You may have a different sense of what "cool" means than I do.

VIP Member
    With raevan on this one.

Yes, it is "kinda" cool, but also extremely serious business.

One of the many things I learned on this site was the importance of "keeping it concealed" and "not telling." Both, pretty much remove "braggin" rights and diminish whatever feelings of "cool" I might have.

I didn't get that you meant that "cool" was why you carry, but just an effect of it. I personally find it a PITA as well and am still dealing with buying clothes that will dress around it. I expect that a good gun belt will help the PITA factor as well...lol

One thing I do feel when I carry, is that I am finally being responsible--something I was not when I didn't carry. Human life is too valuable to leave to chance. One needs to be prepared emotionally and physically to deal with the negative realities of life as well as the positive. That preparation goes far beyond carrying a sidearm that one is competent to use, but it is one component.

No I didn't misinterpret what you wrote.
    I don't know what exactly you are thinking but let me illustrate this once again:

"Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?" doesn't translate to or have anything to do with, "A person flopping and twitching in front of you because you shot them in in no way "cool"... whether you choose to bring that into your reality is your choice but those were your exact words.

Period.

Do not try to get around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes, it is "kinda" cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    but also extremely serious business.
    I never said it wasn't, but it was assumed here obviously that I did not fully understand how serious of a nature carrying is... and to the contrary, I do. So understand that too please with regard to any further statements.

Oh I don't deny what I said, it is quite brutal and I meant for it to be. Regardless how you may see it, it is not "cool" to wear a gun. I would prefer a society where I didn't feel it was necessary to carry for my protection, but we have what we have. You have to face the fact that seeing someone die from an accident is completely different then taking that life yourself. That is why I worded my first post the way I did. It is discusting and horrible and there is no way around it. If you can't except that then don't carry.

If you can't except that then don't carry.
    I don't remember ever saying or implying that I wouldn't expect the horrific nature of a gunfight. I accept that responsibility ever time I touch a gun. I do the same while I am carrying. Where do you keep coming up with these assumptions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links