Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

This is a discussion on Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kashton, I think that some (myself included) are interpreting "cool" to mean empowering as in the ability to protect your life in an extreme event; ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

powerful or empowering

Kashton, I think that some (myself included) are interpreting "cool" to mean empowering as in the ability to protect your life in an extreme event; that is what I thought you meant. Though, I am not retracting that the empowerment is a PITA. I think that other members here have interpreted your use of the word "cool" to imply that it makes you feel powerful which is a dangerous attitude; from reading past posts and this thread I don't think this is your position please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

Regards
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Kashton, I think that some (myself included) are interpreting "cool" to mean empowering as in the ability to protect your life in an extreme event; that is what I thought you meant. Though, I am not retracting that the empowerment is a PITA. I think that other members here have interpreted your use of the word "cool" to imply that it makes you feel powerful which is a dangerous attitude; from reading past posts and this thread I don't think this is your position please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

Regards
    Well, it actually does make someone more powerful because they do have quick access to a deadly weapon. However, I will use that power only when absolutely necessary and I view carrying as a very serious responsibility. I just enjoy wearing one because I know that I have a good tool for saving my life if someone were to try to use deadly force against me. It makes me feel safe, not necessarily powerful. It feels cool to me to be able to walk around in public (while also observing my surroundings for signs) while knowing I am that much more in control of my life if some maniac were to come near me with harmful intent and with an effective tool.

Lets drop it. It appears there is a Generation gap here. Apparently your definition of cool is different then mine.

Alright

Quote Originally Posted by mmwb View Post
    I didn't get that you meant that "cool" was why you carry, but just an effect of it. I personally find it a PITA as well and am still dealing with buying clothes that will dress around it. I expect that a good gun belt will help the PITA factor as well...lol

One thing I do feel when I carry, is that I am finally being responsible--something I was not when I didn't carry. Human life is too valuable to leave to chance. One needs to be prepared emotionally and physically to deal with the negative realities of life as well as the positive. That preparation goes far beyond carrying a sidearm that one is competent to use, but it is one component.
    I give a big +1 to this one, my wardrobe has had to change quite a bit and that's been frustrating for me. I had to get rid of a few pairs of my favorite jeans to carry daily IWB, my shirts and jacket aren't long enough, and my belts are worthless for CC.

That and the fact I have to consider the responsibility I have while carrying. I enjoy shooting sports and like my guns, however CC is not what I would describe as cool. Not picking at you man, just different for me than for you.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

It feels like this is headed the wrong direction, let's stop this thread. I don't think I came across the right way and some people are definitely taking it in a different way than what I originally meant. I wanted this to be a fun thread to just have a good discussion about what feelings you specifically get from carrying. I haven't reached the point where it isn't on my mind while I have a CCW on me (1 year of carrying) but apparently there is a major difference after a few years of carrying.

Lead Moderator
    Thread closed at OP's request.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links