Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

This is a discussion on Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember wanting to be a cowboy when I was younger and for some reason, I know I am carrying to eliminate that small chance ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't it just feel kinda cool to have a pistol strapped to your hip?

I remember wanting to be a cowboy when I was younger and for some reason, I know I am carrying to eliminate that small chance of such a scenario where I will need it, but I admit that it is also because it feels pretty good to be packing. I like to vary it up a lot too because I find all of my pistols enjoyable to wear. I make sure to use holsters where I can feel comfortable for a few hours at a time and I know the differences in the one's I have worn. I have four CCWs: a Sig Sauer P239 in a Smartcarry or Tucker Leather 4 o'clock IWB, Ed Brown 1911 Kobra Carry 4 1/2 inch .45 ACP in a smartcarry or Milt Sparks VMII, Kahr MK40 Stainless elite 2003 in either an Uncle Mikes ankle holster, my smartcarry, or my 2 o'clock Compac Tac IWB Kydex holster. and a Colt Python 2.5" Stainless Steel .357 Magnum in a Tucker Leather "Heritage" IWB 4' o'clock position.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

It is a PITA

Really I kind of find it a PITA and I have been legally carrying for about ten years. Dressing around the gun, making sure I am legal in every state and the unique state laws: my work takes me from VA to ME out to WV so several many of the states I cannot carry. All that said it is my duty to myself and my family to make sure I come home safely at the appointed time and I make every effort to ensure that I do just that.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Actually after carrying for awhile I have found that I forget that its there.

Michael

I've long since outgrown that feeling. Now it just feels comforting.

I don't carry to feel cool,I forget it's there most of the time but It's available if I ever need it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've long since outgrown that feeling. Now it just feels comforting.
    Ah, well I am young and fairly new to carrying (about 1 year). I guess that would make sense.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Well, it starts out cool, but then after a while my body warms it up. . .

Without it, I feel like I'm missing half my brain, and a knife just doesn't make up the difference.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I don't think about it unless it's not there. My wallet is like that too... feel naked without it.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Administrator
    The "cool factor" wears off right after the first decade of carrying every day.

I hope you don't carry them all at the same time... Damn..
    LOL

Distinguished Member
    For me, well not necessarily cool, but I do smile to myself when I go into a large mall and see the security personal with-out a gun, thinking to myself that I would have a better chance getting out of a bad situation then they might.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Not really. To me, I have carried long enough that it's mostly in the background. If anything, it increases my sense of general responsibility to keep my wits and remember what I've prepared for.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The "cool factor" wears off right after the first decade of carrying every day.
    QKS, It took that long? Only about a year for me, and that has been many years ago now.

Yeah, its cool for a while and then you realize that you have to buy clothes to wear over and around it (including more expensive belts than you normally would). I tend to forget mine is there unless I shift a certain way, or drop it on the floor in the head.

Sometimes, when I take it out of the bedside safe in the morning, I'll hold it and look at it before I holster it and think about the fact that I hold a key to the loss of life or at the very least severe damage right there in my hands. The responsibility that comes with knowing that gets on my mind from time to time.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    The cool factor died about 4 hours into it. Then I got struck with the thought of the huge responsibility I had taken upon myself. It was sobering moment.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links