Private pilots and CC

This is a discussion on Private pilots and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a fast approaching the end of my private pilot training, I usually leave my Kimber in the car when I fly local, but ...

Thread: Private pilots and CC

Private pilots and CC

I am a fast approaching the end of my private pilot training, I usually leave my Kimber in the car when I fly local, but take it with me on cross country solos to small airports, but I am going solo to a major airport soon and need to know if there will be an issue with CC. Most likely I will need fuel and have to enter the exec terminal. Any tips?

2. Remove Ads

I'd read up on the laws as best as possible. As a retired LEO,who can carry(thanks to HR 218)almost everywhere ON THE GROUND I'd be interested in what you learn. I'm going,to hopefully, re-start my flight training soon. GOOD LUCK and BE SAFE.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

You might want to leave it in the plane, locked up. I would think a gun in a secure area might freak people out. (If it were discovered.)
    The only airport I'm aware that actually has a TSA search of Gen Aviation is Washington Reagan.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    First, great to see another Private Pilot in the making!

Haven't flown in awhile, but where legal I always take a pistol when I fly.

You need to be concerned with your State laws first. If they don't prohibit carry in non-secure areas of airports, you then need to make sure you don't enter a secure area from the ramp. Your concern is areas under TSA security control. Unless they've got screeners etc. in the executive terminal, you should be okay. If they do screen entry from the outside, then you would be in violation entering from the ramp.

I'd suggest you take along some method of securing the weapon in the cockpit in case it is nec, to leave it in the plane.

IIRC, we've got at least one professional pilot on the board who carries, hopefully he'll be along to give you a bit more experienced opinion.

Good luck with the XC, have fun.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Pilot

Helitec, I have been flying fixed and rotor wing for over 30 years. I always carry, and have had no problem yet, however if I have to go inside the terminal building at a big tower controlled airport, say like Nashville, I all ways leave it in the aircraft. If I am going to be on the other side (not the terminal, but the general aviation side), I keep it on me.

JL

First let me welcome jbubbalee to the forum!

My only comment would be to keep in mind that if you are in a scenario where on thing leads to another that takes you into a secure area, well you gotta just keep that in mind. Nuff said there.

Finally, congrats on finishing your pilots license.
    I gotta get mine current someday.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

This link is from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, hope it helps.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/topics/firearms.html

I have never had a single reason to venture into a secure area while flyng GA aircraft. State laws will impact your cross country travel. Remember if an emergency occurs and you land in a state that either does not allow carry or one that does not honor your state's permit/license - you could find yourself in deep water. Check out AOPA Online: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association - look in their forums and search for gun or carrying a gun.

I fly a Cessna daily from my GA airport and always carry. There is no "sterile" area at this airport except for when the TSA occasionally shows up to the main terminal for special flights or sports team charters. This is an area that I have had a hard time researching, and I am sure that laws vary from state to state. I can't find any reason why I wouldn't be legal doing what I'm doing though.

The Other Side Of The Picture

As a pilot and an airport Manager Here's something to think about:

While actually in the air, a firearm is not going to be of much use to you. It's when you are on the ground that it may.

As a new general aviation pilot you will mostly be using the smaller airports for congestion reasons. (read - minimal security in place)

As manager of one of these airports I am armed at all times and here is why:
    Any GA aircraft is capable of carrying several million dollars worth of drugs (not talking about pot here) and the couriers are using aircraft a lot more than most people realize.

Not a problem for you, but potentially a big problem for me here on the ground in case a deal goes bad.

Fortunately the deals are usually not made at the airport and all we see is a guy in a business suit walk through the Ad building briefcase in hand and getting into a rental car and returning a few hours later.

This is why it is a good idea for you to carry whenever you can and to be alert for suspicious activity around airports.

Interesting thing - A few years ago I posted a similar message on this board mentioning our airport by name and a few days later got a reply by a man and wife who had stopped in here. They mentioned that they were both armed but did not realize that I was too!

I guess that the old adage is true - "Concealed means concealed".

...Skye...

Some good tips, I will lock it up and leave it in the plane at the major airports.
    Just 3 hours of night cross country and I am set. The best part of all is that I only have about 1500 bux into it so far. Nice to have a good friend that is a CFII and owns a few planes.

as long as u are not going into the terminal area (which you won't be) you will be fine. its the same thing as driving to the airport and parking ur car next to the FBO

Links