Are there states that...

Are there states that...

This is a discussion on Are there states that... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...issue a concealed carry license to someone who was not previously able to own and subsequently has ever even fired a handgun?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there states that...

Are there states that...

...issue a concealed carry license to someone who was not previously able to own and subsequently has ever even fired a handgun?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

As long as you can legally own a firearm,most states require you take a course and pass a shooting test which even people that have never shot before can pass.Some states just require you fill out an application and pay a fee
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    ...issue a concealed carry license to someone who was not previously able to own and subsequently has ever even fired a handgun?
    I'd think part of the answer may depend on why someone was not previously able to own a handgun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

PA and NH

PA and NH have minimal requirements for residents.

Here is a great tool for research www.handgunlaw.us
    Last edited by bbqgrill; January 17th, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added link
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I'd think part of the answer may depend on why someone was not previously able to own a handgun.

Hoss
    Might be the NY address thingy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That person would never be able to get a permit in Vermont. We don't have them. No government permission required to excercise our God given rights.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    That person would never be able to get a permit in Vermont. We don't have them. No government permission required to excercise our God given rights.
    And they've got it right! The entire country should be as Vermont is on this.

I do know that some States issue permits without a training requirement, and logic would follow that one could obtain said permit without actually having handled a firearm.

Curious as to the reason for the question though?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    +1. Big difference in not having been able to own because of age and because of a criminal record.

A friend of my wife's and her husband just took the qualifying course through Cabellas. I was shocked to learn that they did NOT have to fire a single round. Four hours of classroom ensures that they are able to handle a CW?
    What an eye opener for me!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    WA State has no training or live fire requirements. You just have to be 21 years old, pay $55.25, and pass a background check.

Technically, anyone under 21 is ineligible... there are some provisions in our State laws for restoring gun rights:

RCW 9.41.047: Restoration of possession rights.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    And they've got it right! The entire country should be as Vermont is on this.

I do know that some States issue permits without a training requirement, and logic would follow that one could obtain said permit without actually having handled a firearm.

Curious as to the reason for the question though?
    I was just curious because a number of people have posted that they finally got their permit, so they are going to buy their handgun. I don't want to revisit the training requirement, but I was wondering if the first time someone ever handled a handgun was when they loaded it and stuck it in their holster for concealed carry.

And dukalmighty, it probably is "a NY thingy".
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    That's a loaded question. I thought once you were disqualified it was forever unless you received a pardon.

In NY it is possible to get a permit without prior ownership or handling of a pistol. As long as you meet the requirements, (no felony convictions, mental disorder etc.). The only requirement is the safety course taken as part of the permit process.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I was just curious because a number of people have posted that they finally got their permit, so they are going to buy their handgun. I don't want to revisit the training requirement, but I was wondering if the first time someone ever handled a handgun was when they loaded it and stuck it in their holster for concealed carry.

And dukalmighty, it probably is "a NY thingy".
    I believe that in most situations where "people have posted that they finally got their permit, so they are going to buy their handgun", it's probably not their first handgun but it may be their first CC handgun (size, weight, caliber, etc.). While I'm sure that there are some that their first handgun and getting their CC license coincide, it probably doesn't happen too often.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    In NY it is possible to get a permit without prior ownership or handling of a pistol. As long as you meet the requirements, (no felony convictions, mental disorder etc.). The only requirement is the safety course taken as part of the permit process.
    Matter of fact, it's required. You are not allowed to handle a handgun (unless you are under 21, and being instructed by a permit holder) until you have a permit. These permits are generally restricted (I have never heard of someone being granted an unrestricted permit right off the bat before owning a handgun).

I could be wrong, though.
    -Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links