Ok, so there is a no firearms allowed sign on a business in my town...

This is a discussion on Ok, so there is a no firearms allowed sign on a business in my town... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scott Might be true where you live and might not where the OP lives in SC. I live in VA and I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so there is a no firearms allowed sign on a business in my town...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Might be true where you live and might not where the OP lives in SC. I live in VA and I can carry in a state level on down government building with the exception of a courthouse. So paying my water bill while open carrying or concealed carrying is not an issue.
    Yeah, I was going to say...maybe where YOU live, but here if it is a county owned property it means they MUST let you carry
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

It all varies by state. That is the main thing. In Kansas, even government buildings must be posted except for federal buildings.Some are, and some aren't.

(You might consider switching from water to beer but a beer bath would be pretty expensive and leave you all sticky.)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A money order is accepted just like cash, mail the payment and be fone with it.
    It it was a retail store and I could get the product elsewhere, you can bet I would

We've had a fair amount of discussion of this type of thing over on ksccw.com . Kansas law calls for a specific sign though placement isn't clearly specified. Even though our law calls for a very specific sign, it is my opinion (and IANAL) that if you carry past an unauthorized sign and are discovered, it does not prevent you from being arrested and even having to go to trial. It may prevent you from being convicted but there have been no test cases yet and in any case, you could easily end up spending thousands of dollars to preserve your freedom. For that reason, I will NOT carry past a sign in Kansas, legal or otherwise. If it's on a business where I have a choice, I take my business elsewhere. If I don't have a choice, I disarm and the gun stays in the truck in the lockbox until my business is concluded. Even when the sign isn't exactly legit, the business owner's intent seems clear to me -- your money isn't wanted here.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Do those of you that choose to ignore these signs feel the same way about the wishes of all property owners? If your at a friends house do you ignore his wishes? Do you walk through people gardens just because they don't have it properly marked with signs?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    It all varies by state. That is the main thing. In Kansas, even government buildings must be posted except for federal buildings.
    Actually, anything covered under the 'federal facility' law must be posted to be valid (or you must be given 'actual notice').
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Acecool,

What water company is this? I am on Johns Island and served by St. Johns Water. Have not seen a sign on their door?!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Do those of you that choose to ignore these signs feel the same way about the wishes of all property owners? If your at a friends house do you ignore his wishes? Do you walk through people gardens just because they don't have it properly marked with signs?

Michael
    A man's home is his castle; I think that answers that part. Second, walking through people's gardens can lead to destruction; I think that is obvious. Businesses fall into pseudo private property; they are open to the public and are subject to a whole host of laws - local and federal to abide by. If they don't post properly, I just ignore it. If they ask me to leave, I will. If everything is properly concealed then there is no problem. In any event it will affect my patronage if it there is a sign.

Let me put it this way, if a business posted a sign that said "no blue underwear" and you happened to be blue that day, would you honor his wishes or just go ahead in and not go back the next time?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    A man's home is his castle; I think that answers that part. Second, walking through people's gardens can lead to destruction; I think that is obvious. Businesses fall into pseudo private property; they are open to the public and are subject to a whole host of laws - local and federal to abide by. If they don't post properly, I just ignore it. If they ask me to leave, I will. If everything is properly concealed then there is no problem. In any event it will affect my patronage if it there is a sign.

Let me put it this way, if a business posted a sign that said "no blue underwear" and you happened to be blue that day, would you honor his wishes or just go ahead in and not go back the next time?
    Good post !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

............Let me put it this way, if a business posted a sign that said "no blue underwear" and you happened to be blue that day, would you honor his wishes or just go ahead in and not go back the next time?
    The difference is that your "no blue underwear" sign bears no force of law. In Kansas, a gunbuster sign does. Our local hospital has signs at the driveway entrance that their entire property is a "Tobacco Free Campus" meaning you can't even smoke in your car while on their property. This sign means nothing to me as it is their policy, not a Kansas law and the most they could do would be ask me to leave. The gunbuster sign on their front door is a different story.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    So technically speaking, I could carry into this business, and the worst thing that could happen is for them to ask me to leave - and I would have to leave or face trespass charges, right?
    While I agree with you, I have to wonder if the intent of the sign does the same as an employee asking you to leave. They have already told you, even if not by the letter of the local laws, they don't want guns in their store. Does that not imply having asked you to not come in armed?

I'm just wondering how far we can push some of these issues sometimes.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The difference is that your "no blue underwear" sign bears no force of law. In Kansas, a gunbuster sign does. Our local hospital has signs at the driveway entrance that their entire property is a "Tobacco Free Campus" meaning you can't even smoke in your car while on their property. This sign means nothing to me as it is their policy, not a Kansas law and the most they could do would be ask me to leave. The gunbuster sign on their front door is a different story.

Hoss
    I am discussing this in the context of SC, where I believe the OP to be. All other States - you are on your own.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael

My friends house isn't open to the public to allow just any nut bag in. There is nothing in anyone's garden I need to go in there for, unlike stores, where I need to shop for basic necessities.

When you open a business and invite the public inside your opening up an environment that can become unsafe in an instant. If you want to keep certain people out, whether it be criminals or lawful gun carrying citizens, make it members only and place a guard at the door.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Ohio.
    No-guns sign can be scrawled with a Sharpie on a napkin and it carries weight of law.
    Felony, to be exact.
    You're not in Ohio so I'm in no position to advise you.
    As for me, I don't patronize those who post.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I am discussing this in the context of SC, where I believe the OP to be. All other States - you are on your own.
    I don't know about SC law though I did realize the OP was from SC, but I was basing my answers on the statement by the OP in one of his follow-up posts:
    They violated the text color section of the law.
    This makes it sound very much like the Kansas law and the question becomes are you willing to walk past a sign on a technical violation (wrong color, wrong gun picture, not quite big enough, etc.). I'm not.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links