Traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri - anti gun signs

This is a discussion on Traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri - anti gun signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri in a few weeks. I think I have a pretty good handle on the the laws and ...

Thread: Traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri - anti gun signs

VIP Member

Traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri - anti gun signs

I'll be traveling thru Kentucky, Indiana, and Missouri in a few weeks. I think I have a pretty good handle on the the laws and how they differ from my home state.

One area I would like clarification on for each state is signs posted preventing ccw. In each of these states, how does the statue read - simply asked to leave if you don't see the sign, or is it an actual charge (crime) if you did not see the sign? I'm not talking about intent to break the law here, just a case of honest oversight.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You are responsible for knowing the laws of each state that you carry in.
    Click on this link and check it out.

Handgunlaw.us

Clicking on any state will give the handgun law of that state.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You are responsible for knowing the laws of each state that you carry in.
    Click on this link and check it out.

Handgunlaw.us

Clicking on any state will give the handgun law of that state.
    Right you are HotGuns! I spent quite some time looking over Handgunlaws for these states, hence my post. I am still left with my original question regarding posted premises. Thanks!

In know in MO the signs carry no weight. If you carry past them and your weapon is spotted and they ask you to leave and you don't you will get a fine. If you simply leave when asked then there is no fine.

Section 571-107 Endorsement does not authorize conceale

Missouri 571.107.2
    2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a** concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years. Upon conviction of charges arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county which issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue. The sheriff shall suspend or revoke the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue shall issue a notice of such suspension or revocation of the concealed carry endorsement and take action to remove the concealed carry endorsement from the individual's driving record. The director of revenue shall notify the licensee that he or she must apply for a new license pursuant to chapter 302, RSMo, which does not contain such endorsement. A concealed carry endorsement suspension pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall be reinstated at the time of the renewal of his or her driver's license. The notice issued by the department of revenue shall be mailed to the last known address shown on the individual's driving record. The notice is deemed received three days after mailing.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

There is no such thing as a "no gun sign" in IN. Just make sure you follow the state laws and you're ok.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

VIP Member
    In Ky its not illegal to carry where posted.

In MO, it's not a criminal offense...they can only ask you to leave.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    There is no such thing as a "no gun sign" in IN. Just make sure you follow the state laws and you're ok.
    I have seen "no gun signs" in Indiana but I know what you're saying youngda9. The signs mean nothing. If "discovered carrying" and asked to leave, do so or it will be trespassing.

VIP Member
    Thank you folks, this is exactly the info I'm looking for. Special thanks to Wuchak for including the statute. When traveling thru so many states, it is very important to understand the differences between the states.

The only bummer will be IL, where I will have to disarm and secure the weapon before crossing the state line.

Links