Follow The 4 Rules Of Gun Safety!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Follow The 4 Rules Of Gun Safety!!!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is really nothing new it's happened so many times over the years. Seems people just keep doing the same stupid thing. And end up ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Follow The 4 Rules Of Gun Safety!!!!!!

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    This is really nothing new it's happened so many times over the years. Seems people just keep doing the same stupid thing. And end up dead.

I might add I know the Ant-Gun bunch will make a lot out of this needless death.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I know the Ant-Gun bunch will make a lot out of this needless death.
    True enough HG but - as ever the rhetoric will be aimed at ''the gun'' - probably totally ignoring a young man's total stupidity.

So much better if they would change their approach to ''ban stupid people and criminals'' - we might make progress then
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a lousy call. Been on more that a few myself, as an EMT, EMT-P, and EMS Battalion Chief.

Unfortunately, it goes to prove two things:

1. Stupidity is a fatal disease.
    2. Alcohol potentiates stupidity.

Nobody appreciates these two laws like EMS providers.

Be safe out there.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    ...I've even got into the habit of removing the mag, locking open the slide, looking in the mag well and chamber and then racking the slide three times and doing it all again.

I guess that's excessive, but it's safe.
    One of the scary things about complacency and lack of discipline is that, no matter how elaborate the safety measures may be, if you become complacent in the process, a safety violation can still occur.

Using Tangle's example:
    remove the mag - check,
    lock open the slide (and remove the chambered round) - check,
    visually inspect the mag well - check.

But, if you have done those steps deliberately and carefully, what does racking the slide three times and repeating those steps accomplish/prevent?

Or, if you go through Tangle's entire routine, while distracted or shortcut with assumptions, are you any safer?

It seems to me that carry must always be a conscious act, and never a behavior with which we become too comfortable.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    But, if you have done those steps deliberately and carefully, what does racking the slide three times and repeating those steps accomplish/prevent?
    Confirmation Tom as I see it - no more no less. meaning, if despite assiduous attention first time, you had by some happenstance got it wrong, then at least you can be well certain. The old, ''check, check and double check'' - not maybe too different from more than one scan at an intersection stop sign - before pulling out.
    It seems to me that carry must always be a conscious act
    Amen to that my friend
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Confirmation Tom as I see it - no more no less. meaning, if despite assiduous attention first time, you had by some happenstance got it wrong, then at least you can be well certain. The old, ''check, check and double check'' - not maybe too different from more than one scan at an intersection stop sign - before pulling out.Amen to that my friend
    Well said PC, that's it exactly. It is multiple redundancy.

OD*
    If you kiss a gun on the first date, don't go shootin' your mouth off.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The anti-gun crowd will call this a tragedy. In this case, I have to agree with them. It's definitely a preventable tragedy, but a tragedy nonetheless.

As far as double, triple, quadruple checking...it's a waste of time if you do it without thinking about it. If you're saying to yourself "I don't see a round," you won't see a round, even if one is there. You must be looking for a round. Only after you don't find one can you consider the weapon safe. Even then, the other rules apply.

The only time I'm absolutely 100% sure my gun is unloaded is when I have reassembled it after cleaning. Even then, when I function test/dry fire it, it is aimed at a cinderblock wall with dirt on the other side.

Complacency kills. It killed somebody today. It will kill someone tomorrow. Make sure it isn't you.

SSKC

Edited to add: I've done plenty of stupid things in my life. I have come to the conclusion that I am highly fallible, and the best I can do is try not to do anything stupid today.

It is such a shame for a young man to loose his life that way. But I imagine that if he were in a position to do so, he would say that he alone is responsible for what happened to him. I'd go so far as to bet the word "stupid" would figure into his explaination.

It is sad.

But Tangle,

I happen to disagree about car "accidents." After long investigations, most all aircraft crashes have been found to be anything but an "accident." There's always a reason for the crash and "It just happened" is never one of them.

I've yet to see a motor vehichle "accident" that didn't come down to human error, mechanical failure, or a combination of the two. And mechanical failure is not a common actual cause, but it often is used to avoid having to admit a human error.

Those long, chain-reaction pile-ups that take place in the fog, are a direct result of human error. Each and every driver was driving too fast for conditions. Trouble is, none will admit to it, most don't even realize it. (Meaning, they aren't lying, just unable to see the truth.) Slowing down so that you can still stop within the distance you can actually see doesn't seem to occur to people. If that means proceeding at a snail's pace, then so be it. To do anything else is to set into motion what will be called an "accident," but is a direct result of people doing something stupid.

There are so very few real auto "accidents" that when they do happen, they should be "news." When someone looses control to avoid hitting an animal that suddenly dashes out in front of a care, that would be an accident.

Most all the time, at least one driver did something stupid to cause the "accident."

The reason I felt compelled to make this point is probably because I spend too much time in the ER, listening to every excuse for a car crash other than, "I screwed up."

I do hear it once in a while, but not often. (Sorry for wandering so far from the topic.)

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Moderator
    MadMike,
    I think that's the problem; there seems to be a tendency, moreso with guns, that if the accident was due to human error, it can't be called accidental. But human errors do not eliminate something from being an accident.

A person ties a knot in a rope to haul up a load. The knot fails and someone is injured. They find the knot was tied incorrectly. That's human error. Does that mean the event was not an accident because a human made a mistake? I think not. He may have tied that knot correctly a thousand times before, but this one time, he messed up. Is that negligence? I think not. It was an unintentional outcome where the human thought he was doing the right thing.

A friend of mine had a long screwdriver bit in a cordless drill to install trim in a van. He was holding the trim in place with his left hand and driving the screw with his right. The drill slipped, the bit hit his left hand and drove all the way through his hand. Was that preventable? Absolutely. Was it an accident? Well that depends on whether we can call the unintended outcome of human error an accident or not. In this case I consider that an accident.

Accidents occur from errors in judgement. Have you ever had an accident of any kind or were they all negligents instead?

Even the law makes distinctions between negligence and accidents and both mostly involve human error.
    Last edited by Tangle; January 27th, 2006 at 08:52 AM.

I have no more information regarding that incident unfortunately. Talk about it tends to die off rather quickly when you had one where you're trampsing through brains on the floor...

Accidental, negligent, foolish, whatever term we would like to use to describe the stupidity that took place takes nothing away from the simple matter of common sense around firearms. If this idiot had used some common sense and followed the rules of safety he would be alive today. It *appears* that alcohol was a contributing factor in this case and all I want to say about that is this :

If you don't have enough common sense, personal responsibility, and personal control to NOT do something stupid after a couple of drinks then you should stick to lemonade! I'm just happy this moron didn't hurt someone else due to his own stupidity. THAT would have been a tragedy!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I shouldn't have wandered so far "off-topic."

An accident, a stupid mistake, no matter what you call it, it was indeed a tragedy.

And Tangle, I'll not obsess on that word, "accident." I understand what you are saying and I think we just use the word a little differently. No problem, at all.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Ready2Fire,

I've heard many times that there is no such thing as an accident with guns, but that's not true. That'd be the same as saying there's no such thing as a car accident.

From the dictionary:
    Accidental
    1. Chance
    happening by chance and not planned
    2. incidental
    Not specifically intended and arising as a side effect

Negligent
    1. habitually careless

While some "accidents" are due to negligence, some are just accidents. To call every unintentional discharge that ever happens negligent is judging without knowing the facts.

It the case stated above, I honestly don't know what to call it, but to me it goes far beyond accidental or negligent.
    Accidents are those that cannot be avoided. Very rare to see a true accident; it usually stems from negligence from some party involved or just plain not using common sense. There is always a responsible party to which they contributed to such an "accident".

VIP Member
    The term accident is most generally applied to the word automobile, and thus has been perverted. How many auto "accidents" have we all averted after someone else screwed up in their car? How many did we catch and prevent when we ourselves were making the error? How many times have our brains not registered "MOTORCYCLE" because it was looking for "car." SSKC said it...we need to be LOOKING for that live round in the chamber, not just going through the motions. Sooner or later, face it, we are going to break every rule. I have seen it with the best of us. Thank goodness there are four of them. Muzzle direction and finger out of the guard are the prime two. I check the action ONCE before each manipulation of the trigger during dry fire at a bullet proof point of aim. Resist the temptation to get off just one more dry fire after loading and holstering your piece. The only time you may be safest by standing directly in front of the muzzle is when I'm touching off the 75 cal smooth bore flintlock "Brown Bess."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links