Banks in Virginia

This is a discussion on Banks in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was told (although I didn't see any mention of it on packing.org) that carrying in banks in VA is not allowed. What about the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Banks in Virginia

Banks in Virginia

I was told (although I didn't see any mention of it on packing.org) that carrying in banks in VA is not allowed. What about the ATM machine mounted in the outside wall of the bank (to use it, you remain completely outside the bank).? Seems to me that the history of ATM machines would make them one of the places where carry would be most appropriate.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

2. Remove Ads

If carrying IN banks is not allowed and the ATM is on the OUTside, I don't see a problem.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I heard many rumors about where I could and could not carry when I first got my CCW. I read the laws, and in PA all I have found in writing is court houses and primary and secondary schools. Other then that, I carry. Post office, bank, etc. aren't on the list, so I carry there as well.
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Kel-Tec2006
    Post office, bank, etc. aren't on the list, so I carry there as well.
    i believe any federal buildings,post office included are strictly off limits for carry. thats federal law not state.

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    I was told (although I didn't see any mention of it on packing.org) that carrying in banks in VA is not allowed. What about the ATM machine mounted in the outside wall of the bank (to use it, you remain completely outside the bank).? Seems to me that the history of ATM machines would make them one of the places where carry would be most appropriate.
    Someone was mistaken. There is no specific prohibition in current State Code against carry in a bank. There are no prohibitions regarding ATM's. That said, many banks, here in the Commonwealth do have signs posted prohibiting firearms, and to carry on private property so posted is considered trespassing, if you are caught.
    Black Knight likes this.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    That said, many banks, here in the Commonwealth do have signs posted prohibiting firearms, and to carry on private property so posted is considered trespassing, if you are caught.
    There is a small sign on the door of the bank, along with similar signs for no smoking and no eating. There is no sign on the entrance to the property. That would seem to say that I can't bring a gun inside. (The bank is in a shopping mall). Does that seem like a correct interpretation?
    Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Kel-Tec2006
    I heard many rumors about where I could and could not carry when I first got my CCW. I read the laws, and in PA all I have found in writing is court houses and primary and secondary schools. Other then that, I carry. Post office, bank, etc. aren't on the list, so I carry there as well.
    When I researched the PA laws, it just said schools and court facilities. I have been told by a couple people that banks are off limits because they are considered federal buildings, but I do not really think that is true because I have not seen that law anywhere.
    Guns don't kill people - bad people (and stupid people) with guns kill people!

Some personal favorites:

Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock 23, Colt AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    There is a small sign on the door of the bank, along with similar signs for no smoking and no eating. There is no sign on the entrance to the property. That would seem to say that I can't bring a gun inside. (The bank is in a shopping mall). Does that seem like a correct interpretation?
    If it were me, I would conclude that carry in the bank is prohibited, but carry in the mall is not. The worst they could do is ask me to leave.
    84160 likes this.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Around here unless it's a State or Federal building.. I just don't give it a thought.
    84160 likes this.

Assistant Administrator
    Is a bank actually a Fed building tho? I'd love to be totally sure.

No banks have notices round here and I have carried into my own bank and one or two others ever since I have been carrying - not feeling that I was breaking any law.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    A bank is not a federal building. Some people try to say that since banks have FDIC insurance that they are federal property. That is incorrect. In VA there is no law prohibiting carry in a bank. The bank can post and it sounds like grnzbra found one of the many that do. If posted and you are discovered carrying inside they may ask you to leave. If you refuse, and the police are called, you may be charged with criminal trespassing. If you leave the premisis no charges should be brought. However police are people and they may refer you for charges anyway. You should prevail if they do this.

If the mall is not posted then you may carry in the mall. If the ATM is on the exterior of the bank building and not past the sign posting the bank interior you should have no problem carrying there. Also if the property owner or their representative sees your gun and asks you to leave you should, or you may be charged with trespassing. That applies even if there is no sign posting the premisis.

Welcome to VA.

-Scott-

Thanks for the clarification everyone. It is appreciated.
    Basic Pistol

In NH, the law says the only place I cannot carry is in a courthouse or building physically connected to said courthouse. I do not find anything other than that in the RSA's for NH.

Where might I find a listing of federal laws concerning carry?
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Do not carry in post offices!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kel-Tec2006 View Post
    I would advise against carrying into a post office as this is not allowed. In most states (Virginia included) you may carry a concealed firearm onto federal property, but NOT into federal buildings, such as a courthouse (unless you are the clerk, others must check it in at security; or into a Post Office). Always rely on your state and/or county's Department of Public Safety's website for concealed carry laws and NOT SOLELY ON THESE BLOGS. If you feel the need to carry (which I do), then remember to go to a credible source! If you are ever caught concealing a weapon in a restricted area, you not only face having your CCW revoked, but you may face jail time or fines and court dates!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Is a bank actually a Fed building tho? I'd love to be totally sure.

No banks have notices round here and I have carried into my own bank and one or two others ever since I have been carrying - not feeling that I was breaking any law.
    Banks are NOT federal buildings. They are insured by the FDIC or NCUA, but not owned or operated by the federal government. If a crime is committed, however, that bank and consequent investigation are then in the jurisdiction of the federal government (FBI to be exact - no matter the state or territory!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links