Photographer's vest - good or bad idea

This is a discussion on Photographer's vest - good or bad idea within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a photographers vest that I wore before I got my CCW. It was great for carrying, well my photo stuff" Mine has all ...

View Poll Results: Do you wear a photographers vest for concealment?

Voters
293. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 19.11%
  • No

237 80.89%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Photographer's vest - good or bad idea

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I have a photographers vest that I wore before I got my CCW. It was great for carrying, well my photo stuff" Mine has all my pens pencils, notepads, flashlight, and camera equipment in it and it does a pretty good job of concealing a S&W 1911 in an OWB with a single mag pouch. You see I actually use my camera vest for my camera stuff so I blend in and just look like another photo-nut. "which I am by the way"
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

2. Remove Ads

From experience I can tell you that a photographers vest draws attention to you.

When I want to cover my CCL with a vest I wear a Harley jean or leather vest, and no one pays any attention.

I had one of those black generic photographer's vest that they sell in gun shops. I wore it to the gun shop, where everyone else did, but felt like I was wearing a sign "shoot me first" when in public. I sold it on eBay to a photographer in California, who will obviously make better use of it.

I do, however, wear a black ScotteVest Version 3 jacket, concealed carry version (zippered slits on the bottom left and right hem for quick access), with the sleeves attached during the cool weather. When I wear that, my phone comes off the belt and into a chest pocket. The only comment I've had from people is, "hey, I like that jacket...it's cool." One thing I like about it is that it's very difficult to make your pistol print at the 3-4:00 o'clock position, even if you try. Even front pants pocket carry is blocked from view. This jacket is right at home with slacks or jeans.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    The longer you carry the less of a concern you have about looks.
    Why would this be true? I can conceal a full sized pistol with a t-shirt, even with my extra weight... so that pretty much allows me to dress the way I want to and I can still care about whether or not I'm "hip" or "with it"...

I think vests in general are a good option for CC, but the photog vest, just like the fanny pack, screams gun... and it's not just to us who carry... My wife (before I carried or was interested in it) would point out people who were carrying because of those two traits - "You think he's got a gun under that vest?"

Just my .02 - take it for what it's worth.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

My friend who is a Hunter Ed. and CFP instructer has one. Please don't take offence, with his look and age(retired), he fits in with the bird watchers that are out and about our valley.
    If I wore one, I would look out of place. If you put film canisters in the sleeves you would probably be stopped and searched for drugs. To our police, a film canister means pot.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    ... "You think he's got a gun under that vest?"
    As long as "know" doesn't replace "think" you're ok , I carry and most of the time I'm trying to spot other people who carry. I'd bet that most "non-ccw'ers" would think it odd, but just pass it off as a bit nerdy. They are more likely to be suspicious of the guy wearing his pants down around his ankles than the photo vest wearer. Keep in mind when we decide to carry we enter into a whole other world and thought process that the other crowd knows or cares little about. What you or I might think of as odd or out of place just gets over looked by the masses. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the guy you feel is staring at your vest is either an LEO or another CCW holder trying to figure if you're carrying and are you a threat.

Just my .02 cents and nothing more.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I live near Plains Ga. Everytime I see someone in a photo vest I think secret service. I do however where a Carhartt type vest in the winter and dont stick out in rural S Ga. Actually had a friend who is an agent jokingly say aw dont you look like a farm boy the other night in a resturant he knows the truth. It works you dont stick out.

I have to agree. I am always trying to spot who may be carrying. Since I saw my friend wearing his vest it is a dead give away. I agree that the masses are clueless and I am sure that most CFP holders are too. I would rather look the way I normally do than to wear something out of place. I live in a small town and if I wore something that does not fit me, people would notice.
    I open carry sometimes and nobody that knows me even looks twice. Why draw attention.

my winter robe is a scrub shirt, covered with a shirt over the scrubs, then my winter jacket. works for me.

I think a vest is a "shoot me first" sign. Who cares what the sheep think about vests - we aren't concealing to hide from them. We conceal carry so the BG doesn't suspect that we can defend ourselves. Wearing a vest or a fanny pack - tells the BG "I'm carrying".
    In a bank, restaurant, church, crowded situation - a vest would become the target.

I'm 28 and I wear a fleece vest all the time, but that was before CCW so I'ts my style, but it fits with my usual Hiking boot LL Bean look any way. All in how you wear it.

VIP Member
    Everyone has their "opinion" and certainly there are places where a 5.11 vest would look really strange, but I'm still waiting for one single piece of evidence that anyone was targeted by a BG because they were wearing one. There simply isn't any.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

There are so many opinions flying around that have no basis in fact! To think that a safari or 5.11 vest screams "Shoot me first!" is one of them (unless the person is saying "I would shoot the guy in the vest first!").
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

I have one of the Cabela's safari vests. It's got lots of pockets but they are not padded like a photographer's vest. I wear it when hiking or birding because it's a great thing for those activities. I would look silly wearing it anyplace else. I also have a TravelSmith road less traveled vest. It has lots of pockets but not many are visible. It falls more into a dress casual look and it goes great with jeans or dockers and makes a good cover garment in the spring and fall when it's too cold for just a shirt but too warm for a regular jacket.

Cabela's vest
    Cabela's Safari® Vest

TravelSmith has unfortunately discontinued both the Road Less Traveled vest and jacket. They don't have any vest that is comparable.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    I voted yes, but, there are holster vests other than photographers vest that work well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links